Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mic recommendations for the K-5?

I've had my K-5 for almost half a year now, and have just occasionally tried video. I'm very happy with the few video clips I've made, but to use it for anything where sound quality is a little more important, e.g. recording my son playing the guitar, I'd like to add a microphone. I don't want recommendations for some huge video rig, just a nice little stereo mic that fits in the hot shoe and which provides an upgrade in sound quality from the built in mic. I will still use the K-5 mainly for stills, so I know that if the mic isn't easily storable in my small photo bag, it won't be used.

12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When the K7 came out with video a great external mic was a Rode SVM. It was a bit pricey thought $200+ as I recall.

I picked up a nice stereo mic at my local photo store last year for my K5 for about $100. I don't remember the brand but it definitely works well and is a great improvement over the built in K5 mike and all that on only one AA battery. Not know what may be available to you in your country. Look around for a reasonably priced mic with the the ability to mount on the hot shoe. If I can find the box that came with my mic I'll let you know what it is.

Edit:

found it. Check out this link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444022-REG/Azden_SMX_10_SMX_10_Stereo_Microphone.html

Reasonable cost, light weight, not too obtrusive. For casual use, I recommend this.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 12-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
12-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote

found it. Check out this link Azden SMX-10 Stereo Microphone SMX-10 B&H Photo Video

Reasonable cost, light weight, not too obtrusive. For casual use, I recommend this.
Thanks!

I haven't seen that one over here, have to first check what it would cost with shipping from the US.

The Røde Stereo Videomic has a surprisingly low price in this shop: Røde Stereo VideoMic - but it does look a bit bulky to me (Anyone here who owns it?)
02-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #4

I also use an Azden SMX-10 it's an incredibly great microphone for its low price. It's not bulky to carry, has an efficient shock mount and is phantom powered by the camera.
Here is some examples of K-5 + Azden SMX-10 videos i have shot. It's mostly in french, sorry.

There are some added sound effects but you can hear the in-sounds and dialogues.

(here first concert and ITW, you can actually see the microphone in the interview, used as a hand mic, which is not practical )

It still capture a little bit the SR sound from the camera though. BTW, both K-5 and K-01 have a very good limiter, i ve never got saturations even in concerts situation.

Last edited by OrbitalChiller; 02-28-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: to make a clearer point
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The Røde Stereo Videomic
+1 I own one of these - they a built to last, solid metal contruction.