Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K-5 with a telescope - long distance birdwatching

Hi, I use a Skywatcher ED 120 Evostar telescope with 900mm focal distance on my Pentax K-5 for taking pictures and footage of shy birds, which are to far away for a 300mm lens.

See here a video on Youtube. Never mind the german title. The pictures say enough.

Here is another picture

I hope that you like this.

Tom

12-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting in did. How close can you focus with this setup?
12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice results, that ED glass works well.
12-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
" ... How close you can focus? "

I guess down to 20 meters without any distance rings. I've never bothered to find out because it is really good for long shots.

Another picture with this telescope:

On this page are some pictures which I have taken with the telecope 'William Megrez ED 102/714mm. The focal distance is 714mm and that lens is really sharp.
William Optics Megrez 102/F7 ED Doublet APO

If you scroll down on that page look at the pigeons on the roof. The first picture shows the full file and below is a crop. I didn't apply unsharp mask. That telescope is so good that the quality of the pictures is mainly influenced by the seeing condition. If the air shimmers, the long distance pictures can't get sharp.

Tom

12-20-2012, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Banned

I only use my 12" Hercules fork mount with my large binoculars like the 28x110's and if I need camera support I use the Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support .

Here are some of my telescope / Pentax DSLR combos :

12-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
You have a nice set of telescopes! It is good to see that more and more photographers discover the great potential of telescopes, which are not only useful to watch the stars.

Tom
02-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

what adapter

curious I have a william optics megrez and want to use my pentx k5 but I dont know what adapter to use. I know william optics has a EOS T ring for sale. Is this what you all used? Any idea if this works with pentax or did you purchase a different adapter.

thanks

Love the photos
02-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Polson Quote
what adapter to use
General Brand T-Mount SLR Camera Adapter for Pentax K ATPK B&H
And this.
Celestron SLR (35mm OR Digital) Camera Adapter 93625 B&H Photo
Should get you connected.

02-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Wow, nice setup. I would try to use that for stills, but the video is pretty nice, looks like a nature show. And the voiceover works, too
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow ... great gear & great images ... thanks, J
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Polson Quote
curious I have a william optics megrez and want to use my pentx k5 but I dont know what adapter to use. I know william optics has a EOS T ring for sale. Is this what you all used? Any idea if this works with pentax or did you purchase a different adapter.

thanks

Love the photos
I use a K-mount 2" UltraWide Prime Focus Telescope Adapter :

Pentax K 2" UltraWide Prime Focus Telescope Adapter

On my C9.25, C6 XLT and Orion Apex 127 Mak I also use the Celestron F6.3 focal reducer and TeleVue visual back .
Celestron f/6.3 Reducer/Corrector 94175 B&H Photo Video)

Tele Vue Optics: Diagonals & Prisms
03-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sindbad1 Quote
Hi, I use a Skywatcher ED 120 Evostar telescope with 900mm focal distance on my Pentax K-5 for taking pictures and footage of shy birds, which are to far away for a 300mm lens.

See here a video on Youtube. Never mind the german title. The pictures say enough.
Kraniche auf den Feldern Brandenburg. Zugvögel vor dem Flug in den Süden. - YouTube

Here is another picture

I hope that you like this.

Tom
Hello Tom,

I like it very much indeed! This is excellent! I've been thinking about using a telescope like this for a while. After much research, mostly on astro forums, it think I'll also get a Starwatcher 120/900 ED. I do have a few questions for you, as you are doing what i had in mind:

1. purple fringing: I hate it. How well controlled is it? This is a doublet after all, but the reviews put it up there, often above ypur average APO triplet. My current Sigma 400 f/5.6 APO has some, and i'd like less!

2. You already gave the answer to the minimum focus distance question! (20 meters) If i could that close to the birds i want to photograph here, i would be fine with my 400!

3. Focus trap / catch in focus: Does it work well at f/7.5? If not, there is always a reducer and get 1/2 a stop more light, but i'd rather have the focal length.

4. Are you using a flattener / flattener-reducer? Do you think it's necessary for this application?

Many thanks!

Last edited by miles; 03-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.
04-23-2013, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
1. fringing is not an issue.
2. ...
3. I've never tried it. I put my large telescopes onto a tripod and focus manually.
4. Yes, I'm using a flattener or a 2x teleconverter.

I recommend that you get a Skywatcher ED80 Pro, which is cheap, compact and easier to handle. With the 900mm focal distance of the 120/900 shimmering air can become problematic.

Here you can see a video which I've produced three days ago. The images were taken with a Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro andPentax K-5 DSLR. This equipment is supported by a wooden tripod with a head, which is known in astronomy as the azimuthal mount named AYO. It comes from switzerland.

Tom
04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Tom for your reply and recommendation.
Indeed the Skywatcher 80 ED is tempting, and many people use it successfully for birding: since i posted my question here, I've also found "good company" on birdforums.com! The video you posted is excellent. I know what you mean regarding shimmering. I can see it a little in your video, but i don't find it troublesome. But it is problem with stills, especially here in sunny Greece...