Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My 1st actual attempt at video.

I tried shooting some video before with my K-x and it turned out ok, but it was just a video of nothing.

I finally decided to try some video with my K-5. This time I decided to put a little more effort into it. I shot several clips and pieced them together, edited the audio, did some half a** transitions and threw it up on youtube.

Overall I think it turned out ok, tips for future video attempts always welcome.

This was shot with my K-5 and Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 on my dining room table in front of the Christmas Tree that was not lit up.

Lighting was provided by the overhead ceiling fan with 3 60 watt tungsten bulbs and whatever other ambient light there was.

The audio was recorded through the camera's built in microphone.

YouTube Link:

Note: For whatever reason I did not shoot this in 1080, I shot it in 720. I'm not really even sure why myself. I thought it was set to 1080.

Comments & Critique welcome.

12-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wonderful short clip! I really liked it in its simplicity.
12-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Nice job. I think this year I will try to shoot some video with the K5.

12-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ya, I'd like to get more into video as a secondary hing.
12-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nicely done. Love the Bokeh of the lights on the Tree.
I sometimes forget to push the AE-L button before filming and it will change the exposure. I think you video did this at the 27ish second mark. (or maybe that is just how you edited it) I try and remember to push that button down before filming but like I said, there are times I forget and either have to reshoot or live with the change in lighting.
what software did you use to edit the video.
12-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ya, I didn't push it down, so when I removed or replaced the box it got dimmer and brighter as more or less was in the frame. I did try to time my transitions to fade in and out with that change though to limit it's affect on the video in post.

The tree is not even lit up actually, the colors in the bokeh are from the garland and other decorations on it.

Either way it's some beautiful f/1.4 Bokeh!

12-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
light

Hi Chris,
Normally if the button is pushed the light/exposure will not change so that is interesting that it did change.
YEs very nice bokeh and love the 50mm 1.4. The garland and ornaments really light up. Very nicely done.

what editing software did you use?
12-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
No no, I did not hit the AE-L is what I was saying.

I used Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

The section at 27 seconds is because I failed to apply the Cross Dissolve properly and randomly left a Fade out in the section which had the front of the box in focus. So when it transitioned to the part with the figures in focus it faded out and in.
12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

wow, your built in mic audio is very good. mine hardly picks up sound at all. there isnt any sort of mic sensitivity setting in the camera is there?
12-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
Nope, no adjustments in cam.

I enhanced the audio with Adobe Audition. Boosted the volume and clarity then reduced the ambient noise on the silent portions to a volume of 0 so that you only hear sound at the intended time.