Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #1

External audio recorder

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a K30 with the reason to make photographs. However, I discovered that it is also capable to make very descent video that outclasses my camcorder with several magnitudes. Unfortunately the audio is really disappointing, especially in areas where there is a reasonable amount of background noise. Unfortunately there is no external mic plug. As a solution, I was thinking to buy a external audio recorder. I am mainly going to use it to shoot home video's and perhaps some amateur theatre.

Now I wondered how practical this set-up is. Since I record the audio externally, I need to sync it to the video. Is this a difficult thing to do? Because I can imagine that 'real' recording speeds or measurement of time can differ between two machines and that it will eventually run out of sync.

Does anyone have any experience with external audio recorders and syncing? If I would make a continues video shot, do I have to sync audio only at one time point, or do I need to do this every (e.g.) minute? I further more wondered whether there is an external audio recorder that I can mount on the camera's tripod mount (probably not)? If anyone has any experience syncing external audio (especially, talking people) to video, whether it is professional or amateur, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

edit: sorry, I seem to have open this thread in the wrong section. Can this be modded to the Pentax Video and HDSLRs section

12-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm often faced with a similar situation, that is, needing to sync external audio files to audio/video recordings. I work at a university where we often record classes and events using a prosumer level Canon video camera into a digital recorder (Focus FS-4 DTE). As a backup, we run a separate audio line from the soundboard to a computer running Audacity.

Since it's all digital, recording rates are usually close enough that we can overlay or replace audio without it looking like a Bruce Lee film. In one or two cases where there was a discrepancy, Audacity allowed us to fairly easily tweak the audio rate to compensate.

As for actually combining the tracks, the ease will depend on the software you use. We use Adobe Premier, Pinnacle Studio and Camtasia. Of these, I use Camtasia the most and find it to be the easiest to work with. Premier is a great program, but like a lot of Adobe's high-end stuff, it's not something you can just jump in and figure out (or, at least not something I could figure out).
12-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Syncing audio with your video, although can be quite cumbersome depending on how much footage you have, is fairly simple in any basic video editing program. Essentially, all you need to do is roll your audio recording device, then roll your camera, step in front of the camera, into frame, and clap. Do this when ever you start recording the video/audio. In any editing software, you can find that clap, and line up the external audio to match the video. This process can be even easier if you still have the "in camera" audio to help you navigate and line up the audio. If you want to be real fancy and professional, use a slate, like Hollywood... Birns & Sawyer Economy Dry Erase Production Slate 425007 B&H

So long as your audio recording device is recording at the same frame rate as your camera, 24fps, 25fps, or 30fps, whichever you prefer, your audio will match up perfectly.
12-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have this post in the wrong forum, ask the moderators to move it

12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Moved!