Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
The only thing that I have clearly seen is dirt or dust speckle right in the middle of your lens - otherwise your handheld pan shot was not particularly interesting or informative in any way. You have produced a remarkable proof that you have a plenty of leisure time to kill but unfortunately don't really know what to do with the fancy cameras or how to use them in a interesting or creative way.

In your effort you have made over 80 test videos with various cameras, but didn't manage to catch at least 5 seconds of something visually interesting or aesthetically pleasing! I suggest you get a tripod and a pan head for the start, then you can go and reshoot all tests. It will not be anything more informative or interesting, but that is least you can do: HD cameras need a tripod.

Here's a link to a book that might help a little.
I didn't shoot the video... I found it on youtube and used it as an example because its straight from the camera uploaded.

I'm sorry but your clearly in no position to talk about video if you can't even tell the quality issues with it. Next your going to tell me the in built mic is awesome :/

QuoteQuote:
You have produced a remarkable proof that you have a plenty of leisure time to kill but unfortunately don't really know what to do with the fancy cameras or how to use them in a interesting or creative way.
Please show us some of your marvelous interesting and creative work o wise one. Also tell me about how HD cameras need a tripod. And how the K01/K30 has such amazing DR in video mode (Have you even tried recovering any over exposed highlights? You can't.).

Heres a few links that you should to read before you attempt to discuss which videos are better
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_codecs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitrate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_compensation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjpeg

Just to add, K30 video is H264 at 17mbps and the K5 is MJEG at 100mbps.

Last edited by userage; 05-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #32

we need to find a hacker and make him/her read this post!
...oh please
05-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by rodaballo Quote
we need to find a hacker and make him/her read this post!
...oh please
Well unfortunately bitrate is not the only thing that affects the quality of the video, increasing the K30s bitrate to 100mbps will not necessarily make it better than the K5's video. The only real person that can make a big change is Pentax, getting one hacker to work on the Pentax's is not viable as it would take an excessively long time for them to get something done.

Magic Lantern is doing wonders for Canon at the moment though. Biggest news out at the moment is that they can do RAW video (only for 1 second at the moment, but theres a good chance it will be no limit after they work on it more).
05-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
This is an example for a quick video shot with Pentax K-30:

05-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I had a quick look again at all K30 examples in this post. I am pretty sure on all SR is on (except the two graded ones...), and it really messes up the videos as far as i can see.
Both k30 & K01 are cams that need a tripod!
05-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #36

I believe the SR on the K30/K01 doesn't work the same as on the K5. I think its digital stabilization as opposed to sensor shift, can't remember where I read this.
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
I believe the SR on the K30/K01 doesn't work the same as on the K5. I think its digital stabilization as opposed to sensor shift, can't remember where I read this.
This is corect. SR works the same way as K-5 in photo mode but in video it is done by software, the sensor itself stands still. The idea behind this is probably to enable noiseless operation.

05-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
This is corect. SR works the same way as K-5 in photo mode but in video it is done by software, the sensor itself stands still. The idea behind this is probably to enable noiseless operation.
and believe also to avoid sensor overheating.

now, sony also works with digital stabilisation. seems to work out fine in their camera's...
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
and believe also to avoid sensor overheating.

now, sony also works with digital stabilisation. seems to work out fine in their camera's...
I don't think Pentax cares at all about Video.. ;/
05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I don't think Pentax cares at all about Video.. ;/
well, i don't know. remember that the K7 was one of the first dslrs to provide video with some kind of manual control.
That's why i do wonder going forward.
Was a bit dissapointed to see that they fully excluded any manual control in the MX1.
I need to check some reviews on the GR to see how the video in that little cam is implemented. that may tell sthing about future intentions...
05-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #41

K7 didn't have manual control..?

Seriously though, RAW recording will be arriving on the Canons through Magic Lantern. I might just jump over if it goes on the lower ends too.. :/
05-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #42
Veteran Member

K7 didn't have manual control..?
some kind of manual control, meaning: aperture only...

anyhow: i've been filming with canons today. Lets be honest, the K01 hides ashamed in a corner compared to that.
Likewise for some sony alpha shots i've uploaded to Premiere... they are just how they ought to be.
05-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #43

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
What I don't get is why people keep on griping about how bad Pentax video is, but still use the system. It is clearly not the best system for that purpose, and if something bothered me so much, I would've look for and moved to another system a long time ago....If you think Pentax is heading the wrong way with their video, email them and let them know, and then let your feet do the talking...Life is short, don't let something like this keep you from enjoying it

People keep griping about video quality and still use Pentax cameras because Pentax cameras are great and we don;t want to jump ship because we like Pentax.
Most of Pentax cameras are very well design and is a pleasure to work with differently than with some other brands.

They are good cameras and do things almost perfectly right and these days to do it almost 100% okay and then just fail on couple of things makes so many noise. As for video capable DSLRs, Pentax are very well made and would be awesome if not some little key things that prevents them from being this awesome pick.

Pentax K-5 just cry for video mode features like in K-30 so not only it wonderful video output would be a pleasure, but taking videos would be a joy with simple manual controls without the work around needs while Pentax K-30 cry for the video quality k-5 can give which is almost broadcast level.

And this would also help Pentax increase their sales, these days video is just as valid for a camera to do as it is to take stills. Lets face it, this situation emerged with the first video capable DSLR and its not gonna change, So either Pentax has to create a miracle still photography camera (for example lets say go this extreme and create a technology that would allow capturing images at 40megapixels with a sensor competing against medium format cameras and be able to change DOF or something) or do not ignore indie filmmakers. After all Pentax is doing things right for the most part. Sure on k-30 they missed mic jack, but that is not a big deal. However that nice manual mode for video and the chosen compression... this is where Pentax missed a shot, it could be in the list of those almost perfect today DSLRs, yet they are not in the kind of almost perfect today's DSLR list. And this could be easily fixed with firmware.

And fixing this would really help the sales for Pentax cameras because people love manufacturers who care about their production users and actually it would make Pentax be awesome manufacturer if they would upgrade firmwares of their DLSRs to improve features like in this case improve video IQ because it is possible and users want it.

For those who say that Pentax doesn;t care about Video features and its implementations, well.. I can't speak for Pentax, but from what I saw years back, Pentax didn;t seem to look at video as to a second hand brother, I still remember their remarkable K-7 commercials and it looked like Pentax were proud of their achievements in video sector. If Pentax didn;t care about video features, I don't think they would so proudly show those extremely beautiful videos created with Pentax cameras.

Pentax is doing really good, jsut need to pick smarter video codecs, for me personally video mode in K30 is awesome, but I would like to see a better codec used for capturing videos. that is all.

Yes I know about Panasonic and Canon, but I like Pentax more, Pentax ergonomics are far superior and Pentax did almost everything right, jsut need a better codec or something for a better video output.
05-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #44
Veteran Member

If Pentax comes with firmware updates for all kind of software problems that might be solved in my K-30, I'll probably never have the need to buy a newer model, so perhaps it's all about keeping sales up, getting current Pentax users to upgrade to the "new" model every time there is one, and trying to get new users the same time.
A possible solution would be to sell certain upgrades to users who need it, for X amount per upgrade? So if I'm not that interested in better video quality, as I only need it for a few short home movie clips, I wouldn't have to buy it, but if there is a firmware update for instance giving me more options regarding control of other functions, that I need, I can buy that.
That will mean a basic product, very good for everyday and especially new users, and a customisable product for those of us who need certain other features, giving Pentax still some income out of the camera, other than the original sale.
The problem is again, how many people will actually be willing to purchase such firmware upgrades etc. In the end it is for Pentax(Ricoh) a numbers game, and I'm sure they have people with the capability of thinking of things like this, and deciding what the best is for the future of the product, no matter what we think should happen. If they miscalculate and go under, there will always be other products on the market, and it would not stop me from shooting some pics. Sure it might mean a loss to a lot of people who invested a lot in the system, but that's life....

Last edited by altopiet; 05-12-2013 at 08:17 AM.
05-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Sometimes its not just the software that is limiting the bitrate or whatever, though. It can be the hardware, maybe the camera would start lagging if the bit rate or resolution in video mode would be higher.
You can judge Pentax's video performance in absolute terms and conclude that its not the best, that its missing features. But if you look at videos that people have made with Pentax gear, you can also see that it is still capable of making some amazing footage. Of course, if you have a very specific need that the camera doesn't fulfill.. too bad. I wouldn't hold my breath for a firmware update, though. But maybe you can find some workaround.
For my purposes, the video modes of the K-01 are good enough, I often record in a smaller resolution for convenience. But if you are really serious about video, you should get a video camera instead of a DSLR.