Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax wants to hear your suggestions for video

Okay, so I sent an email to Pentax UK about bringing a firmware update to the K5 regarding the video mode and lack of manual control among a few other video related things. I got a reply today;

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for your e-mail and your feedback regarding the video operation of the Pentax K-5. While we are just the UK office and do not have any control over the development or release of firmware, we are fortunate in that we have short reporting lines back to the factory. This means requests and suggestions from consumers are easily feedback for consideration.

I will pass your comments to the factory and let you know of their response.

If you would be willing to share your thoughts about what other features may be developed I would be very interested to read them and pass them onto the factory also. Although we cannot guarantee any would be developed we do know that they would be considered. Other suggestions from consumers have been adopted and are now available on current cameras.
So I think we should do just that. I have made an online petition just so we can express how many users are showing interest for this so if you would like to welcome a more serious video mode please go ahead and sign here: Petition Pentax to improve video mode

Although I asked him mainly about updating the K5 I think we could add suggestions for future bodies.

The current suggestions I have gathered are as follows:
  • Full manual control of video. If possible, able to change ISO while recording like the GH3 does. (Also I hear the K01 only has manual control with auto aperture lenses? So manual control with all lenses would be good)
  • Possibly 60fps at 1080p
  • Pixel Binning to improve video quality mode (this also improves noise)
  • Focus Peaking during video
  • Better sound recording quality and proper audio control like in the K-01
  • Recording to ProRes/RAW (!)
  • Extra battery grip with XLR inputs (!)
  • Higher bitrates for K01/30 / Choice of MJPEG or H264 in camera
  • HDMI Output

Things with (!) next to them may be a stretch too far, the MJPEG in the K5 is much better quality than the H264 in the K01/30 even though it creates massive file sizes. I think its the only dslr codec that uses 4:2:2 subsampling as well. I would personally love to see a new mirrorless centered around video.

So, any thoughts?

Last edited by userage; 01-17-2013 at 12:19 PM.
01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, coming from the US, it MUST have 1080/24p, and if possible 30p.

Also, manual exposure and if possible all the recording-time features of the K-01. The MJPEG quality is nice to have, and the K-5 (or even better my K-5 IIs) has superior image quality, so I'd like to be able to take advantage of it by getting exposure that doesn't keep changing during a pan.

Manual volume control. If the audio could be expanded to include the more common 48kHz (16 or 24-bit) WAV instead of 32kHz that would be great too.

IMO it's especially important to have these three capabilities (1080/24p & 30p, manual exposure, and manual volume control) available on the new K-5 II/IIs. But if they added only these basics and have uncompressed HDMI output people will immediately take notice and write them up in online articles.

I think you should remove the requests that are beyond reasonable, such as 1080/60p (hardware isn't up to it), and an extra battery grip with XLR inputs (may be a good idea for a future camera, though!). If the list is shorter and reasonably easy to implement (with a percieved pay-back for Pentax) they're more likely to make these adjustments to the firmware for current models.

Last edited by DSims; 01-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

waveform
zebrastripes
profiles

Actually as long as it has clean video output with 4:2:2 or better you can do a lot with it.

Yes you need to buy things extra but the hardware and software of the photo-camera won't get bloated by the extra video things.
01-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Manual volume control. If the audio could be expanded to include the more common 48kHz (16 or 24-bit) WAV instead of 32kHz that would be great too.
If you go for that then a jacket for headphones is also need so you can hear what you're recording.

01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

Can they make a DSLR without video, and knock $200-$300 off the price?
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Can they make a DSLR without video, and knock $200-$300 off the price?
Not in the current state because the hardware is the same, if it would require extra hardware then it's another case though.
Some things i see coming by here, you would need extra hardware so that will increase the price.

And some things might actually be used for photography as well, waveform for example could be useful.

Last edited by Anvh; 01-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

No specific video comments other than the obvious ones mentioned above, but here's one that would be a much better use of time and $ in R&D

Flash similar to the Nikon SB-400 that is WR. Would be infinitely better than the 200fg. The 200 is too tall and the lack of bounce is ridiculous. Identical pricing as the Nikon but has a larger form factor and is an infinitely worse flash. Better yet, come out with something really brilliant and combine the GPS unit into that same flash. Make it WR and you have just given the outdoor photographer his ultimate hotshoe accessory

Last edited by Saxplayer1004; 01-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.
01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm fine with a firmware fixing this:
- 24FPS for all resolutions (should be possible and awesome!)
- Fully manual controls at all times (hey, we got the physical controls for it)
- Different formats and codecs (I like the ease of the files from the Q and real video shooters would probably enjoy increased quality with other formats)
- Peaking (If possible and also for photos)
01-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I'm fine with a firmware fixing this:
- Different formats and codecs (I like the ease of the files from the Q and real video shooters would probably enjoy increased quality with other formats)
This hardware, so not something able to change on firmware level.
At least for the K5's
01-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Okay, so I sent an email to Pentax UK about bringing a firmware update to the K5 regarding the video mode and lack of manual control among a few other video related things. I got a reply today;

So I think we should do just that. I have made an online petition just so we can express how many users are showing interest for this so if you would like to welcome a more serious video mode please go ahead and sign here: Petition Pentax to improve video mode

Although I asked him mainly about updating the K5 I think we could add suggestions for future bodies.

The current suggestions I have gathered are as follows:
  • Full manual control of video. If possible, able to change ISO while recording like the GH3 does. (Also I hear the K01 only has manual control with auto aperture lenses? So manual control with all lenses would be good)
  • Possibly 60fps at 1080p
  • Pixel Binning to improve video quality mode (this also improves noise)
  • Focus Peaking during video
  • Better sound recording quality and proper audio control like in the K-01
  • Recording to ProRes/RAW (!)
  • Extra battery grip with XLR inputs (!)
  • Higher bitrates for K01/30 / Choice of MJPEG or H264 in camera
  • HDMI Output
Things with (!) next to them may be a stretch too far, the MJPEG in the K5 is much better quality than the H264 in the K01/30 even though it creates massive file sizes. I think its the only dslr codec that uses 4:2:2 subsampling as well. I would personally love to see a new mirrorless centered around video.

So, any thoughts?
Ok, here some additions:

* K30/K-01: Add possibility to use the SR during video recording, rather than digital SR (which is so bad that you'd rather shoot without stabilization. It was also so bad that I dropped the thought of buying the K-30 immediately).

* Video recording button. The Fx button could be used for that. Just give me the option in the menu. Also that way proper manual controls could be realized.

* 44.1 or 48 kHz audio recording.

* Possibility to deactivate auto gain.

* Hot pixel removal not only for stills, but also for videos. More important in videos cause harder to remove.

* Add different cropmarks for different aspect ratios. i.e. 2.39:1, 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 2.7:1, ... basically an overlay as a border.

* Camera profiles like the one from Technicolor for Canon. Maybe work with Technicolor on that one. Something that is suitable for color grading.

* Generally look at Magic Lantern and what they offer.

* Focus peaking, or at least a way to magnify the center portion of the screen (the border has to stay the same for framing) to assist with the AF.

I think this list should include things that can be done via firmware update, as well as give them hints at where we'd like to see them go in future. Perhaps at least 30 fps can be done, I think we should let the developers at Pentax decide what can and can't be done.

Also I am fine with a "here be dragons" warning for the new features. As long as it won't easily brick the camera... doesn't have to be rock solid from the get go. And don't care about it maybe confusing users etc. Create an advanced settings tab, where you have to first confirm you know what you're doing before being able to set something.
01-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If you go for that then a jacket for headphones is also need so you can hear what you're recording.
That's (almost) true but nobody else does this either, so I didn't think of it. Anyhow, it's awfully hard to add a headphone jack with a firmware update!
01-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

so I'd like to be able to take advantage of it by getting exposure that doesn't keep changing during a pan.
That's easily fixed, press the exposure lock button. (at least on the original K5)
01-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's (almost) true but nobody else does this either, so I didn't think of it. Anyhow, it's awfully hard to add a headphone jack with a firmware update!
Yeah, but they could add digital audio meters. That would be super helpful. Otherwise, manual audio control is worthless since yu don't even know what you're getting.
01-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Yeah, but they could add digital audio meters. That would be super helpful. Otherwise, manual audio control is worthless since yu don't even know what you're getting.
Correct, that was my meaning. I know there's 3rd party firmware for Canon DSLRs that disables AGC, but I don't own a Canon and I haven't used it. I think we should at least have this option in the Pentax firmware.
01-18-2013, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #15

Hello!

I guess I will only repeat my self here too.
For starters it would be great if Pentax refined video features for existing cameras.
It is no secret the sensors Pentax are using are capable of so much more. And given that Prime M processor is designed to handle a heavy h2.64 codec, it should be capable of handling higher bit rates, Pixel Binning to improve video quality mode would be nice and to handle Motion Jpeg should be a breeze for Prime M engine. ProRes is a very nice video codec but question is would it be possible to handle it for the cam? Additional codec that improves video quality is welcomed. In general it would be really great if Pentax improved the video output for k-01 and K-30, Also bring back sensor shift shake reduction for k-01 and k-30. Especially for K-30, its sound recording capabilities are low anyway, so no one will be actually using the sound from k-30 for serious use except audio alignment to the video. So if sensor shift sound will get recorded, it will not make a big deal anyway. But will dramatically improve video. Look at Olympus, they refuge their digital SR and even made a 5 axis IBIS. Digital SR proved to be a no go unless the algorithms are magical which in most cases are not magical and are not making any good while sensor shift SR is making wonders.

Then for k-01 it would be nice if the HDMI could be used for monitor video recording rather than playback recorded stuff after recording.

For the future models. K-30 proved to be a way to go, WR body, twin control dials, Pentaprism OVF. Keep on this track, for a mirrorless also go with everything k30 except add EVF.
Articulating LCD would be a nice addition, but I would rather have WR body instead of articulating LCD. And then of course connectivity interfaces. HDMI, mic jack etc.

But improving quality in general for video would be good. K-5 has it, the only disadvantage is no full manual controls. So full manual controls and good video image quality is a good way to go here which is for the most part only software for the cameras modification.