Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My short documentary with a K7

Hey everyone

My name is Shayne and I just completed my first "lengthy" film about a small company here in Vancouver, BC, Canada called Feathercraft. They build some very impressive foldable kayaks.

Here it is:

I wanted to capture the man behind the business, how it started, and some of the inner workings of the operation. Equipped with an older set of lens (pretty sure around the 80s), and a K7, I pieced this film together myself including the soundtrack. This is really an intimate look at the company and my launch pad into doing more filming this year.

As I mentioned in other forums, the usual challenges with the K7 is having control over the camera in video mode. I ended up buying some cheap old lenses (thank god for K mount) and boy, the glass on these things are wonderful and sometimes finicky but sometimes surprising.

I hope Pentax improves video quality and control over the camera - there is so much potential here

Cheers

02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a really great documentary, fantastic work. I hope that I one day can make some video, but for now I concentrate on making pictures with my K5.

I am a wooden boat builder, maybe I should document my work...

Cheers
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
This is a really great documentary, fantastic work. I hope that I one day can make some video, but for now I concentrate on making pictures with my K5.

I am a wooden boat builder, maybe I should document my work...

Cheers
Thank you! Absolutely you should film that process, I love the craftsmanship it takes to build wooden boats
02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great video! Congrats!!

02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very well done! I wish I had the talent to do that. I think after watching it that I have a good sense of the company and the product.

I do have two questions. 1) Did you consider including any video of the kayaks in the water, or showing how they fold? 2) Why the decision to cut the top of his head off in a couple of the scenes? It definitely looks intentional, but i wanted to know the thought process there. Thanks very much for sharing, I wish more people would share what they do.
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
>> Very well done! I wish I had the talent to do that. I think after watching it that I have a good sense of the company and the product.
Thanks!

1) Did you consider including any video of the kayaks in the water, or showing how they fold?
>> Yup, but in the interest of time, especially setting up the kayak, and prepping for a water scene was something I decided to leave out. I wanted to focus on being a fly on the wall and focus on the human man and craftsmanship behind the boat. Oh and for the water shots, I would've loved to have a shot with the owner in the boat, while I film from another boat... again setup was very casual for the whole thing and even though I have a boat, gearing up would've taken time.

2) Why the decision to cut the top of his head off in a couple of the scenes? It definitely looks intentional, but i wanted to know the thought process there. Thanks very much for sharing, I wish more people would share what they do.

>> haha yeah I was experimenting, in some scenes I wanted to focus on hand movement. I would have cropped down more into his hands but because of my K7 and at 720p I didn't want to lose some of that quality in the image. Focusing is also kind of a pain on a still lens - jumps around. Really wish I had some cine lenses, I think the quality of the focus would be a lot better.

In retrospect, I think I will do less experimentation - I think people found it a little much in this one. I did have a shooting plan coming into this but it was all in my head. I started playing around with Celtx (software for doing A/V scripts) and I hope this will force me to film a lot more stable, pre-planned shots and less on the camera experimentation. For documentaries like this you really only have one shot to do this, you can't really tell the subject to redo his/her speech or personal moment. That's my 2/c, I'm still learning
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies, again, excellent work.

02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really enjoyed the video. The problem is that now I want one of his kayaks! :-)
02-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice work for a k7. What lens did you use? Did you change color setting in the camera at all or leave them alone? ANy glide cam, sliders used at all to make the film.
What software did you use to edit the video?

Very nicely done and thank you for sharing. I think this video forum needs more people like you sharing your work and a converse back and forth on how you did your shots, scenes, editing etc...There is not a lot of pentax video info out on the web.
02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #10

Shayne, that was a very well done video!

I think the others have covered most of the questions I have, except for your audio capture.

What type of wireless microphone system were you using? I'm very interested in beginning to use my K-7 for short clips (was actually just playing around with it before I came here), but the audio without any kind of microphone is rather poor. That is to be expected. So what kind of microphone systems have you used and what did you like best about them?

I was searching for some answers and it seems that for decent quality it costs about $200 USD, for any serious amateur work closer to $500. Would you agree? I would be shooting outdoors, mostly, but wouldn't need range more than about 20 meters at the very most.

Anyway, I'm glad you shared this. It makes me excited for the possibilities with my own K-7!
02-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance C Quote
Very nice work for a k7. What lens did you use? Did you change color setting in the camera at all or leave them alone? ANy glide cam, sliders used at all to make the film.
What software did you use to edit the video?

Very nicely done and thank you for sharing. I think this video forum needs more people like you sharing your work and a converse back and forth on how you did your shots, scenes, editing etc...There is not a lot of pentax video info out on the web.
Thanks! I made my own slider with an Igus rail - very easy to make if you have a good drill press - heck, I made mine with a hand drill but I wouldn't recommend it. You'll also need taps to create the threads in the drilled holes... at some point though I would like to add a motor because doing glides by hand can get a little choppy.

I filmed mostly with the Pentax-M 50mm - by far my favourite lens, and I had one shot made with the Sigma 10-20mm wide angle. I may have also used the kit lens but my light went out so I ditched it.

Software used was Adobe Premiere CS5. I tried not to do too much color grading - I find a lot of videos have way too much color grading done. I like the color that came from my old Pentax lens - it has its own yellowish tint. For the Sigma shot, I couldn't get enough light because my lighting thing died, so I did have to clean up the clip with Magic Bullet Denoiser... I highly recommend this plugin or NeatVideo.

Camera settings - highest resolution and didn't really fiddle around with any other setting - I think I tried to do this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-hdslrs/104903-guide-manually...ure-k-7-a.html but gave up because I didn't have time to fiddle around. Really, manual ring on old legacy lenses are your friend.

Music was scored on Ableton Live and then touched up in Audition

Last edited by shaynemusic; 02-25-2013 at 09:38 AM.
02-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Shayne, that was a very well done video!

I think the others have covered most of the questions I have, except for your audio capture.

What type of wireless microphone system were you using? I'm very interested in beginning to use my K-7 for short clips (was actually just playing around with it before I came here), but the audio without any kind of microphone is rather poor. That is to be expected. So what kind of microphone systems have you used and what did you like best about them?

I was searching for some answers and it seems that for decent quality it costs about $200 USD, for any serious amateur work closer to $500. Would you agree? I would be shooting outdoors, mostly, but wouldn't need range more than about 20 meters at the very most.

Anyway, I'm glad you shared this. It makes me excited for the possibilities with my own K-7!
Thanks! Audio was done with Tascam DR-08 and Oscar ST lav microphone (Oscar Sound Tech). A very affordable combo! Basically I setup the lav on Doug and he pocketed the DR-08. Then you can either clap or use a clapperboard to sync up the audio. I found the DR-08 to be a little too sensitive with the lav - if I were to do this again, I would have dialed down the sensitivity
02-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by shaynemusic Quote
Thanks! Audio was done with Tascam DR-08 and Oscar ST lav microphone (Oscar Sound Tech). A very affordable combo! Basically I setup the lav on Doug and he pocketed the DR-08. Then you can either clap or use a clapperboard to sync up the audio. I found the DR-08 to be a little too sensitive with the lav - if I were to do this again, I would have dialed down the sensitivity
Thanks for the response, I'll have to look at those options. For the price it seems like a good alternative to the wireless systems.