Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Opteka Stabilizer?

Do you think the Opteka Steadyvid Pro stabilizer is any good? Is it worth 70$?

Thanks,
Nicole

03-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

Well.... yes and no, IMO. Hard to say. Maybe.

I recently bought the SteadyVid EX MK II, and so far I've got a bit mixed feelings about it. It's the lighter model, but IRL it's quite sufficient for a DSLR and a lens. After I've used it for a while, I came to the conclusion that I need an X-Grip, the U-shaped one, to accompany it.

Looks like the basic X-Grip is better for certain kinds of situations, and especially for longer runs. At least for my usage. This J-shaped thing is nice for shorter and slow enough pans from up to down and for long enough arching moves, but I wouldn't want to depend on it alone.

Sometimes it's a bit awkward to handle, even though some people say it's easy to direct just with your thumb. I've found it a bit tricky to get used to making smooth turns with it, so far, especially with one hand. I think it's a bit like holding a wind wane while standing on a boat. You need to hold it and aim it with your other hand, and you easily end up with a slight nudge in the footage, anyway, if you're not extra careful. But that's likely just a minor niggle.

Depending on the weight of your rig, holding it up for a longer time will strain your arm and shoulder eventually, too, so it's not as comfortable as the simple U-shaped stabiliser. Or a shoulder rig. The Steadyvid Pro may be a bit better overall, but also heavier to hold up than the little brother. A detail worth considering if you plan on doing longer runs with one. Although for best results, you are likely to be holding it with two hands, anyway.

Another little niggle I noticed when monitoring the recent footage is that the handlebar joint makes some noise, which may end up in your soundtrack, unless you have a properly isolated microphone. The other day I did a test walk using the internal mic of my camera, together with a Zoom H1 recorder (poorly isolated from mechanical noises, when using the tripod mount screw+hot shoe adapter), and I could hear a distinct clacking sound whenever the rig moved even the slightest. Again, the big brother may be a wee bit better at that, but I doubt it.

For $70 it's a decent tool, but it's not really that comfortable to use, IMO, not as the only stabiliser. I'm not regretting that I bought the lighter one but, I will go for one of the X-Grip models, too. In case you don't have one yet, I might even recommend that you go for the X-Grip stabiliser first. Or, budget permitting, buy both the Steadyvid Pro and the X-Grip. That's what I'll do soon.
03-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EchoOscar Quote
Looks like the basic X-Grip is better for certain kinds of situations, and especially for longer runs. At least for my usage. This J-shaped thing is nice for shorter and slow enough pans from up to down and for long enough arching moves, but I wouldn't want to depend on it alone.
I already have the X-Grip and the Opteka CXS-2 shoulder rig! Hehe :P They both dont really help stabilize the footage though.

i was thinking of something that would make the footage look nice and smooth, something good for wedding videos.
03-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iNicole Quote
I already have the X-Grip and the Opteka CXS-2 shoulder rig! Hehe :P They both dont really help stabilize the footage though.

i was thinking of something that would make the footage look nice and smooth, something good for wedding videos.
Well, if those two stabilisers don't help in your case, then I'm not entirely convinced that the SteadyVid Pro will make a night and day difference, either. It just might in your case, though, hard to say. If you plan on using one for the whole duration of the wedding, it might become a bit heavy and awkward, not to mention slow. I don't think it would be my first choice for a wedding in particular.

Weddings aren't really my favourite cup of tea. I've only shot a few weddings as the first or second shooter so far, and only one of them was on video. However, should I go to shoot a wedding for video or fusion now, my preferred choice of stabiliser would be the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 monopod with a video head, hands down.
If I was doing weddings and other similar venues on a regular basis, getting the 561 instead of the SteadyVid Pro would be a no-brainer, IMO.

03-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
the problems with the stabilizers is that u have to balance the camera exactly on top of it ... less then a millimeter makes a difference ... so you have to pay the money for a unit which can move the camera on the head into directions ... glidecam HD for example
03-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
balance

paranoia23,
Do you own the glide cam? How do you like it? Is it easy to balance or use?

Have you used the Model iNicole is asking about? Just wondering what the difference is. Anyone use a fig-rig type device?

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
the problems with the stabilizers is that u have to balance the camera exactly on top of it ... less then a millimeter makes a difference ... so you have to pay the money for a unit which can move the camera on the head into directions ... glidecam HD for example
03-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

watch the video here for example
.... the dude is not getting this thing in balance after 7 min ... and i dont mention the 2h he did cut out of the video

03-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paranoia23,
Which one do you own? The glidecam? How do you like it?
03-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tangentially related, a friend's husband is working on putting the following together stabilizer system together - as it's yet to be released, I can't comment on quality, other than that he does good work and has done so in the past -

The Supraflux Video Camera Stabilizer by Supraflux LLC — Kickstarter
03-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #10

i dont own a glidecam or any other stabilizer ... its pure physics that if u dont have the possibility to move the camera on the head by small amounts ... its hard to balance the camera in a short period of time (who wants to work an hour on balancing a stabilizer every time he uses it). good stabilizer have this option (glidecam HD, merlin...) and cheap ones doesnt.. thats it.

btw. the supraflux stabilizer looks like it could do it ... i didn't watch the whole video.

edit: since i recognited that you "Lance C" are dude from the slow motion video ... couldnt you do a side by side comparision of your k5 and the k01 ?! ... that would be really helpfull to this discussion.

Last edited by paranoia23; 03-21-2013 at 03:57 AM.
03-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
i dont own a glidecam or any other stabilizer ... its pure physics that if u dont have the possibility to move the camera on the head by small amounts ... its hard to balance the camera in a short period of time (who wants to work an hour on balancing a stabilizer every time he uses it). good stabilizer have this option (glidecam HD, merlin...) and cheap ones doesnt.. thats it.
Yes, I considered a glidecam-like stabilizer, but I realized that I wouldn't have the strength to use it for a very long time, I'm a 15 year old girl and it looks like it would be really hard to hold!
And if I already had the balanced for one setup, I wouldn't need to modify anything every time I use it?
03-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #12

we are talkin about movements in micrometers ... so yes the system will unbalance itself (dependent on the construction).
even if the construction is very good ... the centroid of the cam on the head will move by just moving the focus of the lens (or flipping out the screen .. which we dont have to worry hehe)

take a look at this video for example ... but it compares one of the best with one of the worst in your "weight class" of stabilizers