Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
"The Letter"

Very touching and inspirational video!
Done with PENTAX K-5 and PENTAX lenses.


Kind of sad, that it has only a little over 15k views..

04-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Johns, NL, CAN
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 242
I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting.
d
04-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jamarley's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 409
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Kind of sad, that it has only a little over 15k views..
don't know how long this has been around, but now it's got one more view
Simply touching
04-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,372
It's been around a while and discussed here before. It's a false documentary, but it does demonstrate the K-5 video capabilities quite well.

04-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
It's been around a while and discussed here before. It's a false documentary, but it does demonstrate the K-5 video capabilities quite well.
How do you know that it is false?
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 50,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
Kind of sad, that it has only a little over 15k views..
Well I've just added another view to the running total, a nice wee story, thanks for posting the link.
04-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,372
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
How do you know that it is false?
Well, the video is posted by Pentaxian1, which is Pentax. They even have some "making of" videos posted, for some of their other stories.
PENTAX A RICOH COMPANY - YouTube

There are some other clues. Go to 4:33, where the garage manager says that his daughter surreptitiously posted a video on YouTube. Note the little Pentax logo on the top right of the screen capture.

Yes, there really is an actual video clip planted on You Tube for real, called "Garage Ballerina" by AnnBele75. But read the comments there. Another clue is that the name of the garage manager's daughter, as shown in The Letter, is shown spelled a little differently, as AnnBelle75. So this was not a true screen capture.

There were some previous threads on this subject when the video was first posted, but I can't find them. (Argh, the PF search engine!) Anyhow, I think the consensus was that The Letter was very well done indeed.

Other clues ... there is no parking garage at 346 East 55th Street in NYC as shown at 4:50.
04-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Well, the video is posted by Pentaxian1, which is Pentax. They even have some "making of" videos posted, for some of their other stories.
PENTAX A RICOH COMPANY - YouTube

There are some other clues. Go to 4:33, where the garage manager says that his daughter surreptitiously posted a video on YouTube. Note the little Pentax logo on the top right of the screen capture.

Yes, there really is an actual video clip planted on You Tube for real, called "Garage Ballerina" by AnnBele75. But read the comments there. Another clue is that the name of the garage manager's daughter, as shown in The Letter, is shown spelled a little differently, as AnnBelle75. So this was not a true screen capture.

There were some previous threads on this subject when the video was first posted, but I can't find them. (Argh, the PF search engine!) Anyhow, I think the consensus was that The Letter was very well done indeed.

Other clues ... there is no parking garage at 346 East 55th Street in NYC as shown at 4:50.
You got some valid points here. I agree with you.

Maybe it is at least based on real story, like "Into the Wild" (Into the Wild (2007) - IMDb) ?
Anyway, who cares, it is still a great video

04-12-2013, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,900
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
How do you know that it is false?

Well for one thing no self respecting wanna be ballerina would dance on concrete for months on end. It would kill her career before it got off the ground. Concrete is horrible for your bones and toes to dance on. You can easily injure and cripple yourself performing on it and most pro companies won't allow their dancers to do that. They have their own portable floors that they take to places where they might have to. I was sitting here loving the cute idea but immediately I wondered if it was real because I just could not see any real dance student dancing on the floor like that. She'd more likely be dancing in a park or something to save her feet.

FYI, one difficult act of a performance can kill a pair of pointe shoes and that's on a good floor. Dance companies have huge shoe budgets. Dance students spend most of their money on classes and shoes. On concrete her shoes would be dead in a couple of days and she'd be dancing with pointe shoes that would be very unsafe even if the floor wasn't killing her. The story is really cute, but any dance person that sees it is probably chuckling over it and having serious doubts over it's veracity as I was.
04-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lietuva, Vilnius
Posts: 627
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well for one thing no self respecting wanna be ballerina would dance on concrete for months on end. It would kill her career before it got off the ground. Concrete is horrible for your bones and toes to dance on. You can easily injure and cripple yourself performing on it and most pro companies won't allow their dancers to do that. They have their own portable floors that they take to places where they might have to. I was sitting here loving the cute idea but immediately I wondered if it was real because I just could not see any real dance student dancing on the floor like that. She'd more likely be dancing in a park or something to save her feet.

FYI, one difficult act of a performance can kill a pair of pointe shoes and that's on a good floor. Dance companies have huge shoe budgets. Dance students spend most of their money on classes and shoes. On concrete her shoes would be dead in a couple of days and she'd be dancing with pointe shoes that would be very unsafe even if the floor wasn't killing her. The story is really cute, but any dance person that sees it is probably chuckling over it and having serious doubts over it's veracity as I was.
Thanks for sharing your experience
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
hdslr, pentax, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't say Pentax "Q" in French ... "Q" = "cul" = "A--" Jean Poitiers Pentax Q 52 11-10-2013 06:25 AM
"The Smurfs" and "The Care Bears" can lure children into witchcraft jeffkrol General Talk 3 11-05-2012 01:14 PM
Suggestion Add subsections to the "Nature" option in "Post Your Photos" jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 2 07-22-2012 12:04 PM
"Christians for a Moral America" plan boycott of "The Hobbit" MRRiley General Talk 47 01-23-2012 01:48 AM
Funny video: "An open letter to Canon" jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 08-22-2011 05:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top