Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 01:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Macro film shot on reversed Pentax lenses

This is my short film 'Light' I've been making over the last month using my Pentax lenses.

It's a very short (90 second) simple story about a lighthouse getting through the night, and features lots of experiments in cinematography - all done on my kitchen table with reversed and macro lenses and a lot of ice!

I used a Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 and a Sigma 24mm superwide II f2.8 mounted in reverse for super-close ups, and a Pentax-A 100mm f4 macro for the widest shots - none of which had an area bigger than, say, a post-it note - and some of the extreme close ups were over an area the size of a fingernail or smaller at around 2:1 to 4:1 scale. For the reversed lenses we used a Canon to Pentax adapter, then a Pentax reversing ring (52mm filter thread for both lenses), then the lens! Note, if you want to use a lens in reverse for close ups you need to use one with an aperture ring - ie the FA series or earlier. DA lenses won't work sadly as they lack an aperture ring.

I used my k-5 for test shots but we used a Canon 600D (with Pentax adapter for my lenses) for the film itself as the manual control on this camera, the full HD digital zoom ability and swivel screen made it very useful for those tiny close ups! The film is all shot "live" in 25 frames per second, it's not animated.

We needed a lot of light for shooting down to f16 at 1/50 at ISO 160 in extreme macro where you get several more stops of light falloff, and so we had a big hot 800W light. For some shots it was around a foot (30 cm) from the ice, causing severe melting problems! So we needed to be fast and accurate with focus to a millimetre level on a disintegrating, slippery set all of which was too small to position without completely ruining composition! Most of the time it was a fun challenge but was occasionally frustrating!

We edited in Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6, where we added the lighthouse light and did a little colour correction.

The film was made for the Depict short film competition in the UK. I hope you like the film, happy to explain any techniques and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

07-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Amazing
07-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question: That horizontal flare (I think it's called flare) that can be seen out both sides of the lighthouse light, was that effect intentional? If so was it done in post or just an effect of the camera and lenses? I like how the flare disappears at the end of the film as the ambient light throughout the frame increases.
07-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you geomez. Yes, the horizontal flare was added in After Effects - I must have watched too much of JJ Abrahm's work! I think it makes the shots look a little more three dimensional than they would do without it, as the intensity varies depending on where the lighthouse is within the shot - and yes, as you pointed out, it is a nice visual way of de-emphasising the lighthouse's light in the last shot.

07-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by metaphiston Quote
Yes, the horizontal flare was added in After Effects - I must have watched too much of JJ Abrahm's work!
HAHA! I was gonna make a comment about it looking JJ Abrahms-esque but I didn't want to offend you. I know some people have some harsh opinions about his liberal use of lens flare. I think it is cool when used more subtly, especially when such an effect is used to add to the overall narrative of a piece, like you have perfectly demonstrated.
07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
(N)ice!!!!

07-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Lauren!

No worries Geomez, I do like a subtle lens flare - it's just like any cool effects, powerful when used sparingly but easy to overdo! Recently I was surprised to learn that the Star Trek lens flares were done in camera rather than added in post. In this article JJ Abrahms talks about how they did it, it's quite interesting: J.J. Abrams Admits Star Trek Lens Flares Are “Ridiculous”
07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #8

Very nice, extremely well done.

07-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Old Man.