Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-14-2013, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

My new rig is almost complete.

For the most part this guy is done. I have a couple more pieces coming in, and additions to make. I have to attach the 3x3 filter holder to the matte box. I have a 1 to 3 mini hot-shoe mount coming for mics and maybe my Zoom H4 or a light. I pieced this guy together with parts from everywhere. My inspiration was dslrshooter.

I also have some foam padding, and leather coming that I am going to use to add cushion to the shoulder and rib support and wrap the handle with.. But for the most part this thing is done.

The Rig:
Shoulder Mount with rib support.
2 follow focus units( 1 for zoom and 1 for focus)
Cheese plate with quick disconnect pilfered from a tripod
2 15mm x 300mm rods
Front stabilization handle.
Bottom quick disconnect for tripod
Weighs around 7 pounds

I use an 82mm Eclipse VND with step ups so I dont have to switch filters, but once I mount the 3/3 filter holder I might play with some graduated stuff not sure. I also have a circular polarizer on there, though I may just take a cheap polarizer with crap glass and use that as a rotateor for the VND

What do you think?

Shoulder Mount with rib support.

2 follow focus units( 1 for zoom and 1 for focus)

Cheese plate with quick disconnect pilfered from a tripod

2 15mm x 300mm rods
Front stabilization handle.

Bottom quick disconnect for tripod
Weighs around 7 pounds

08-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool looking - what's it for?
08-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I want to do events. I really want to do event photography. One of my main issues is I want to do some stuff as a second shooter first and finding those opportunities have been very hard. However, I have seen a lot of requests for videographers, and I know how to use Camtasia and adobe Premiere. So my plan is to get on with some event and wedding photographers on the cheap as a videographer, till I get a going shooting my own events.

In practice, I'll set up my mic and Zoom H4 somewhere. Put the K5 on a tripod with remote recording, and walk around with the rig shooting, when I get close to the 20 min mark I will hit the remote on the Prefocused K5, start another video on the K-01 switch cards what ever, and then sync the audio up in post.

Thats the plan anyway.
08-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dappercorpmonkey Quote
I want to do events. I really want to do event photography. One of my main issues is I want to do some stuff as a second shooter first and finding those opportunities have been very hard. However, I have seen a lot of requests for videographers, and I know how to use Camtasia and adobe Premiere. So my plan is to get on with some event and wedding photographers on the cheap as a videographer, till I get a going shooting my own events.

In practice, I'll set up my mic and Zoom H4 somewhere. Put the K5 on a tripod with remote recording, and walk around with the rig shooting, when I get close to the 20 min mark I will hit the remote on the Prefocused K5, start another video on the K-01 switch cards what ever, and then sync the audio up in post.

Thats the plan anyway.
Sounds like a plan. I hope it works out for you. You seem to have thought it out.

08-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sounds like a plan. I hope it works out for you. You seem to have thought it out.
I am playing it all by ear. I hope its a good plan. Especially the videography process. I have been doing alot of practicing with the follow focus. So far I have been working with a 28mm and even at 1.8 from 10ft away you have a little over 2 feet to play with in-terms of DOF, My 50mm f1.4 gives you 6 inches by comparison.
08-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sweet!
Good luck with your plans.