Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
NO, mechanical SR doesn't work, it's electronic.
kind of what i meant, the digital or electronic sr in video mode just does not do the job in a useful manner.
But you're right, the original comment was about the mechanical sr not working for video.

I'd be more than happy to join a petition on this.
I love using the pentax for close ups with old telelenses, so it would be more than welcome.

together with a petition to fix the "auto iso" issue with m-lenses...

08-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
together with a petition to fix the "auto iso" issue with m-lenses...
What is that?
08-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

What is that?
well, a bit off topic, but here it is:

when filming with an M lens, and in manual mode, whatever you set the iso value, the k01 will disregard it and choose an auto iso value.
which is ok, as the k01 is quite good in higher iso's if needed. BUT it causes your exposure to adjust itself when panning e.g. from a lighter to darker situation and it means you actually cannot really control the exposure (except for +-ev).

Someone had a work around for it in a prior post, pointing the cam in a certain "light" direction and then lock the iso value (without knowing what it is & then adjusting the other parameters) but it would be helpful if it worked out of the box... especially with a ton of M lenses back home...

I you happen to have both an M and a A lens, you can try it out..
08-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, a bit off topic, but here it is:

when filming with an M lens, and in manual mode, whatever you set the iso value, the k01 will disregard it and choose an auto iso value.
which is ok, as the k01 is quite good in higher iso's if needed. BUT it causes your exposure to adjust itself when panning e.g. from a lighter to darker situation and it means you actually cannot really control the exposure (except for +-ev).

Someone had a work around for it in a prior post, pointing the cam in a certain "light" direction and then lock the iso value (without knowing what it is & then adjusting the other parameters) but it would be helpful if it worked out of the box... especially with a ton of M lenses back home...

I you happen to have both an M and a A lens, you can try it out..
Do you not have the option in M to set ISO to either Auto or Fixed ISO? The Auto ISO in M mode, in the K-30 actually seems like a bonus to me, as I can use it as Tav with manual lenses...

08-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Do you not have the option in M to set ISO to either Auto or Fixed ISO
yes, you can, but with a "M" lens the k01 will disregard it & do as he pleases.

I understand your comment on TAV, but then, for filming, one really wants full control over the 3 parameters...
at least, i do
08-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, you can, but with a "M" lens the k01 will disregard it & do as he pleases.

I understand your comment on TAV, but then, for filming, one really wants full control over the 3 parameters...
at least, i do
As far as I understand the K-01 and K-30 have the same features, I usually shoot Av with my manual lenses, don't do much video, but I can see your problem. What about limiting the ISO to 100-125 or something like that, which won't have much of an influence over the final outcome?
08-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K5 uses mechanical SR during video, if it is on. It does cause audible noise, if you aren't using an external mic though. However, the quality is a lot better than the electronic SR that is used on the K-01.

08-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
What about limiting the ISO to 100-125 or something like that
well, setting a limit on the auto iso does not work either in video mode and M lenses
There is a workaround though, but it is too cumbersome. Even explaining it is hard to do... :-)

But we are going off topic..
08-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #24
Forum Member

well, setting a limit on the auto iso does not work either in video mode and M lenses
There is a workaround though, but it is too cumbersome. Even explaining it is hard to do... :-)

But we are going off topic..
I would like to know, I just checked and ISO is set to auto when filming with a manual lense. What a stupid think pentax did. How can I have control over that?
08-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ok, just put auto iso on. point you cam in a certain direction to trigger the auto to choose a high or low iso, whatever you need for a situation..
Push ael and thus lock the iso. And then you can play with.the other two variables.

You don't know exactly what iso you chose, but at least you decided on whether you use a low or high iso
08-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #26
Forum Member

Ok, just put auto iso on. point you cam in a certain direction to trigger the auto to choose a high or low iso, whatever you need for a situation..
Push ael and thus lock the iso. And then you can play with.the other two variables.

You don't know exactly what iso you chose, but at least you decided on whether you use a low or high iso
Actually I check again, and changing the exposure meter (don't know how to say it), you can choose the ISO value and the rest keep the same, they don't change. I checked it myself
08-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

[
Actually I check again, and changing the exposure meter (don't know how to say it), you can choose the ISO value and the rest keep the same, they don't change. I checked it myself
sorry, don't understand what you are saying...
08-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
Forum Member

[

sorry, don't understand what you are saying...
I don't understand myself either, I will try to explain later. There are two metering types, one of them admits manual exposure with manual lenses
08-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I don't understand is why this request is taken serious. The K-30 is dead and replaced. There is no way Ricoh would ever modify the camera or update its firmware for video.
08-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
What I don't understand is why this request is taken serious. The K-30 is dead and replaced. There is no way Ricoh would ever modify the camera or update its firmware for video.
Well, in essence, this has nothing to do with a particular model. Every recent dslr from pentax is designed in this way.