Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Well, in essence, this has nothing to do with a particular model. Every recent dslr from pentax is designed in this way.
THIS

Sooner or later every DSLR will have full video capabilities, it's where the market is going. But the sooner the better!

09-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
THIS

Sooner or later every DSLR will have full video capabilities, it's where the market is going. But the sooner the better!
Frankly, you need different lenses for proper video.

This is a sales opportunity.
09-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Frankly, you need different lenses for proper video.

This is a sales opportunity.
What lenses exactly? I can see professional videos done with DSLR's. I have seen a red bull official videographer using a lens with a wide lens teleconverter, which are supossed to be really cheap. And the result is spectacular. I don't see why you need different lenses...
10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe this is what you need for shake reduction video.

10-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The K-5 had sensor stabilization for video, and it works great. Does it pick up some noise? Yes. But then again, the audio from the K-5 is useless anyway. I just connected my K-5 to my mid/high end soundcard, and it picks up a ton of noise when the sound card isn't outputting anything at all (and it is very quiet), and when I play back music what is recorded is pretty awful, completely bass free. Highs are missing too, with massive artifacts due to the AGC, if the song hasn't had massive dynamic compression anyway.

Anyway, yeah, the stabilization works absolutely great, as good if not better than pretty expensive dedicated video cameras.

Different lenses... if you want to shoot with AF, yes. Then again, only the 70D and the SLT cameras from Sony have really good video AF. The rest goes hunting (some with more success than others... the NEX cameras do it pretty well for example, or Panasonic mFT cameras, but they still hunt). And the problem with SLT Sony's is that Sony doesn't have a silent AF system for their SLT cameras, the NEX cameras get much better lenses... but the AF system isn't as good. But if you focus manually, any lens will pretty much do. And I don't see Pentax making lenses with OIS just so some people can shoot video with SR without them having to activate the SR system.
10-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Just to add my experience. When using my k-30 in video mode the SR is displayed as "on". And there is evidence in the video that there is some shake reduction happening,, whether or not that is mechanical or software i cant say. My firmware is 1.00
10-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Maybe this is what you need for shake reduction video.

LG G2 Chicken ad explains OIS Camera. - YouTube
Hahahaha! thanks for sharing that!

10-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Just to add my experience. When using my k-30 in video mode the SR is displayed as "on". And there is evidence in the video that there is some shake reduction happening,, whether or not that is mechanical or software i cant say. My firmware is 1.00
Yes, but you can't really uses, the jello effect is creates makes the video rubbish
10-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #39

just give the real SR back
10-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This sub-board is for video-friends - so either join or go to the photo-section.
But that has been made clear before ... Right ?

Sorry to hear about K-30 having no sensor-SR.
K-30 can do almost all as the new K-3 - but is just a fingerpointing now.
and won't be changed much I guess ... (But cash-back is now available)

I still do hope, the K-3 has got the good sensor SR on board.
If not so, that again would be very bad luck for serious video-users - another mistake
that now still remains in my doubts and nightmares - that Pentax did something wrong again,
as so many times before ... I hope they know better !
10-29-2013, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

K-3 should have both SR methods, switchable, and then we the photographer/videographer can choose which is most suitable for any given situation.

It's a no brainer for the Pentax top of the range camera and if they omit the excellent K-5 style sensor shake reduction, it will count against K-3 in my decision making process (I might upgrade to a K-5 II instead and save some money). But it's almost certainly too late to do anything about K-30 now.

The sound issue is easily solved by anyone with a serious interest in making even amateur videos.

Last edited by Dave L; 10-29-2013 at 03:50 PM.
10-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #42

i cant go anywhere from my k-x because there is no other camera with 24p recording during hardware SR in the lineup ...
11-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutuolive Quote
As a frequent user of Pentax DSLR's video mode I noticed, as many of you did as well, that the k-30 lacks sensor-stabilisation during the video mode. Which is, I guess, a decision made by Pentax Ricoh because of the noise that is produced by the stabilisation and will disturb the recorded sound by the camera.

For a lot of amateur users this might be good, as they can now record videos with clear sound, but for those who use Pentax DSLR's for filming BECAUSE of their excellent on sensor-stabilisation, which makes it possible to use very good cheap primes to record stabilized videos handheld, it is the worst thing that could happen to a new pentax DSLR.

Furthermore I recommended this camera for other professional filmmakers as a second body because of it's stabilisation. So now I was wondering if some of this forum would be willing to start a petition and send it to Pentax Ricoh to ask for an alternate Firmware-Update only for experienced users to reactivate sensor-stabilisation in video mode...

What do you think? And what would be the best way?

This is a video recorded with on-sensor-stabilisation on K5:

I think you are very right.
I think we will show some gratitude Pentax started listening to video-freaks
bud remind them stronly to put on a real good firmware for video with all that
can be done to reset true qualities - like the SR - and create even new ones.

EDIT:
Later on - while testing my K-7 - I found out that while panning you can't use the SR !
Here a movie SR would be better, I can see now ... the problem is called yello and means
that the object you are panning and ending at .... moves to the opposite direction to balance
the direction of the panning SR. This is just a no go. So I declare my Pro for sensor SR
was premature and very wrong ! Sorry Pentax on being so unfair on this

Last edited by TomGarn; 11-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.