Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Advice for video editing

I'm using a digital Kx which produces a .avi file which is a motion JPEG. This format is completely uneditable in Final Cut 7 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. All the codecs available which make the file play nice are all available for Windows based machines and I'm on a mac. I have scoured the internet for information and I've come back empty handed. I can't be the only person with this problem can I? I would love some help or direction pointing, otherwise I'm having those abandon pentax thoughts I keep having. Thanks!

11-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you check out Handbrake?

M
11-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Run a convertor?
How do I import M-JPEG .AVI files into Premiere Pro CS6? | lovecamcorder
11-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flopass Quote
I'm using a digital Kx which produces a .avi file which is a motion JPEG. This format is completely uneditable in Final Cut 7 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. All the codecs available which make the file play nice are all available for Windows based machines and I'm on a mac. I have scoured the internet for information and I've come back empty handed. I can't be the only person with this problem can I? I would love some help or direction pointing, otherwise I'm having those abandon pentax thoughts I keep having. Thanks!
Sorry, this is for windows only !

I had that ugly question too - for my K-7 on MJPEG - with my pc.
Premiere CS4 needed Media Encoder before (change to uncompressed video hightest bitrate)

There are at least 3 MJPEG codecs you can buy, " Morgan " for example ...
A free-version with implemented icon in the corner (a sad smiley)

Get Sony Vegas Pro - they can and do just open all codecs (mjpeg too)

Finally with CS6 the MJPEG codec was on board for me on pc

11-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have tried both Handbrake and the conversion software. The conversion software works for FCP 7 but I still can't get it to play nice with Adobe premiere pro cs6. I have so many wonderful lenses for the pentax system but I'm almost willing to let it all go so I can shoot with something in a format that's already useable. I was thinking GH3 or GX7. Thoughts on my feelings of abandonment?
11-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mac is handicapped ?
The first time I read this ...

Needs a lot of reading throug the web
There must be a good way ... ?
11-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Surely you cannot be the only Mac user with this problem.
Have you followed Adobe's guidelines?

If you could post a brief sample file and share it on your Dropbox, I could have a go.

M