Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

50mm vs 55mm For Interview

I'm going to shoot some interviews in a couple of days and I was hoping to get some recommendations on which lens to use. The idea is to interview a few people, one by one. I will be shooting waist up (medium shots).

Here are the lenses I'm debating:
  1. FA 50 1.4
  2. M 50 1.7
  3. Super Tak 55 1.8
  4. Super Tak 50 1.4

I will probably shoot at 5.6 or 8 (11, if needed. I'll be shooting in the day and I don't want too shallow a depth of field).

I also have these two lenses that I've considered:
  1. Super Tak 35 3.5
  2. DA 40mm XS 2.8

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

11-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you won't be asking for wide apertures, that is a non issue between the lenses. The 55mm will allow a little more personal space if they are strangers.
11-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even though I'm not going to shoot at a wide aperture, I think it still matters. Each lens has its own behavior. I'm curious to see what the more experienced would recommend. Here's a quick test (it was about to rain so I was in a hurry and the focus may not be identical on every shot) with the lenses. All were shot at 5.6.

Top left: FA 50 1.4
Top right: M 50 1.7
Bottom left: Super Tak 55 1.8
Bottom right: Super Tak 50 1.4

I hadn't thought about the extra reach with the 55. That might be a good thing to consider.
Attached Images

11-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would use the fa 50mm because you still have the f1.4 aperture if needed and the AF is handy to have also.

11-23-2013, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Talking Heads?

Hello reivax,
The problem as I see it, is that we (as photographers) get pretty caught up in rendering, I.Q., color accuracy and the finer details of lens performance.
All well and good, great thread subject material and coffee-table talk. I'm as guilty as anyone!
But, this job sounds like a professional, or at least more critical assignment than our more casual shooting ops.
So, the important aspect, I'd say the primary job is 'Get the shot'. Forget DxO Mark, legacy lens quality, Bokeh, etc., all that gear stuff.
Then, (again in my personal opinion) manual focus is out. Manual aperture (green button) is out. No matter how good you may be at these, they slow you down and can lead to missed shots, with no chance of a do-over.
Virtually all the fine points of lens qualities can be corrected or changed in PP. Except....focus or movement (blur).
Once you've established the proper exposure for the existing lighting, another potential problem solved with auto aperture and EV.
Every shot properly exposed, every shot as accurately focused as the AF can achieve.
Leaving you free to compose, wait for the perfect expression, emotion or gesture. The things that separate a great photo from a good snapshot.
One last point, I wouldn't be so eager to use a high f/stop. The great thing about a 50mm (75mm in APS-C) is the short-tele isolation factor. Unless the background is critical to the story, it's much better 'wiped' out. Lead the viewer's eye to the subject, avoid clutter or a too-busy photo.
JMO,
Ron
11-23-2013, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello reivax,
The problem as I see it, is that we (as photographers) get pretty caught up in rendering, I.Q., color accuracy and the finer details of lens performance.
All well and good, great thread subject material and coffee-table talk. I'm as guilty as anyone!
But, this job sounds like a professional, or at least more critical assignment than our more casual shooting ops.
So, the important aspect, I'd say the primary job is 'Get the shot'. Forget DxO Mark, legacy lens quality, Bokeh, etc., all that gear stuff.
Then, (again in my personal opinion) manual focus is out. Manual aperture (green button) is out. No matter how good you may be at these, they slow you down and can lead to missed shots, with no chance of a do-over.
Virtually all the fine points of lens qualities can be corrected or changed in PP. Except....focus or movement (blur).
Once you've established the proper exposure for the existing lighting, another potential problem solved with auto aperture and EV.
Every shot properly exposed, every shot as accurately focused as the AF can achieve.
Leaving you free to compose, wait for the perfect expression, emotion or gesture. The things that separate a great photo from a good snapshot.
One last point, I wouldn't be so eager to use a high f/stop. The great thing about a 50mm (75mm in APS-C) is the short-tele isolation factor. Unless the background is critical to the story, it's much better 'wiped' out. Lead the viewer's eye to the subject, avoid clutter or a too-busy photo.
JMO,
Ron
This is everything that the little voice in the back of my head was telling me. I guess I'll use the FA 50 1.4 for the interview and I'll try using auto exposure. Since I'm shooting outside, conditions can change quickly. Thanks for the reality check. I'll bring a manual lens just in case I feel a little adventurous (but I'll keep it at the bottom of the bag).
11-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd use an AF lens. so the FA 50 would be my choice.

11-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think those lenses will all deliver good enough IQ, especially if you are planning on doing video recordings.
What I would suggest you do is follow a plan:
1) Decide what kind of photos you want. Do you want 3/4 body? Shoulders and up? I think 55mm is best for intimate shots, for example face-only portraits. I would use 40mm for waist up photos (and I have). With a 55mm you have to stand pretty far away from the person to take a body portrait
2) Do you want the photos to looks dreamy, beautiful, or do you want them to look documentary, realistic? This depends on the genre of what you are doing. You can't have glamorous photos of people when they are talking about bad life experiences, for example. Interviews are usually not meant to make the person look great, but to convey some truth. So beautiful bokeh might not be important.
3) Do a test run with a friend, see how it works out. Maybe you think a 55mm will be great, but on the terrain you will notice that you don't get the whole subject in frame. This is very important, you don't want your first time to be for real, because you will make mistakes
4) Write down the settings, distance and angle from subject, and camera height (are you aiming up, or down? What if the next person is taller?). Maybe sketch the frame ahead of time. Shoot Av. This will help you keep consistent with all your subjects and make the photos look like they all fit together into a series. Unless you want every photo to look different
5) Think about using tripod and flash, these can make photos look much more "pro." Exposure bracketing, deflectors, fill flash, flash diffuser,.. use everything.

I would suggest the 40mm XS, so you can stand closer to the person and get a good modern rendering, sharp and contrasty, more documentary than beautiful. Make sure you have a good WB so people look normal Don't worry, it will get easy once you get started and look at some results

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-25-2013 at 06:42 AM.