Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tips for using Røde Stereo Videomic Pro

Hello!

I just got myself a Røde Stereo Videomic Pro and will use it to record with my K-5 tomorrow, when my son plays electric guitar at a music school christmas event. Since I've just barely started using it, I'm a little unprepared, so I was hoping that anyone using the Stereo Videomic Pro here could give me some tips.

Specifically, what I need advice on, is which setting to use on the level switch. I tried it for a short recording at 0 dB and found the background noise to be a little high and the sound level of the resulting file a little low, so for that kind of recording (acoustic guitar), I'll try the +20 dB setting the next time. However... if I use the +20 dB setting when recording louder electric music tomorrow, will I risk clipping?

Best regards

12-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is really tricky without knowing how loud the music will be amplified. Personally I would err on the low side and trust in software to help out if the final result turns out a bit low.
If the sound is overloaded it is a bit like blown out highlights and difficult to get the 'detail' back
12-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Hello!

I just got myself a Røde Stereo Videomic Pro and will use it to record with my K-5 tomorrow, when my son plays electric guitar at a music school christmas event. Since I've just barely started using it, I'm a little unprepared, so I was hoping that anyone using the Stereo Videomic Pro here could give me some tips.

Specifically, what I need advice on, is which setting to use on the level switch. I tried it for a short recording at 0 dB and found the background noise to be a little high and the sound level of the resulting file a little low, so for that kind of recording (acoustic guitar), I'll try the +20 dB setting the next time. However... if I use the +20 dB setting when recording louder electric music tomorrow, will I risk clipping?

Best regards
Background noise is a "feature" not a problem with that mic, otherwise a Video Mic Pro would have been more appropriate as it's a directional/shotgun mic that excludes background noise. I would think +20 would definitely cause problems with amplified music. I'll stress that I've owned my VMP for a very short time and only used it on my camcorder not my K-5, but FWIW I tend to use it on -10 or 0 to avoid clipping.
12-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do not own this microphone, but I do have experience in the field of audio recording and engineering as my second pastime is music performing and recording... Does the Rode mic have a gain defeat switch on it? Usually -6 db?

If so, for louder music I would use that in a heartbeat as chances are you will clip the mic and the preamp of the K5 pretty quick. I found with my microphone of choice (a pretty inexpensive Apex camera mic) on the K3 I run it at 0 db with the volume at setting 3-4 for when I'm recording live bands. So pretty low on the scale there.

The other feature some microphones have are a pattern selector. I would put it on the narrowest pickup field if available so your picking up less noise from the room. However, in a live scenario chances are you won't hear much of the room so a wider pattern would help (usually a 90-120 degree pattern in that case).

12-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the replies! I guess I could have needed a K-3 with its microphone jack now ;-)
I'll see how load the music is and select either -10 or 0 dB. Wired: there are three settings: -10, 0 and +20 dB. There's no pattern selector.
12-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I recorded at 0 dB and it turned out fine, thanks again for all replies!
12-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great to hear it worked out.

It’s amazing how similar sound recording is compared to exposing photos. Avoid clipping high volume (highlights). Don’t record so low otherwise raising it introduces noise when to bring it up (like raising shadows).

Like for video too, there’s another decision about locking volume (exposure), or allowing some AGC. I still haven’t figured out whether AGC is friend or foe and haven't had the "courage" yet to disable AGC, especially as that setting is not one I can change during actual recording on my camcorder, and it is hard to predict volume levels before some events. So I've tended to use +0 and AGC enabled, equivalent of "auto" mode on a DSLR.

02-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought this microphone recently and used it myself to record on both my K3 and D800. I'm much happier with the stabilized video of the K3 by the way. The Rode is brilliant, I can't believe how good this microphone sounds, especially for bands. I plan to use it a lot more.

only complaint, for $250 it should include a carrying pouch. The pouch is an extra $25, but still... it should be included. I will probably buy the think-tank media bag that attaches to the Digital Holster 20 I own (which I love by the way).

changing audio levels on the fly is a breeze, especially with the on screen meter. now I just wish it had focus tracking in video mode
02-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I bought this microphone recently and used it myself to record on both my K3 and D800. I'm much happier with the stabilized video of the K3 by the way. The Rode is brilliant, I can't believe how good this microphone sounds, especially for bands. I plan to use it a lot more.
I'm also very happy with it so far (although I haven't used it for a couple of weeks - it's currently on loan to my son and his girlfriend who is a photography student). I agree about the carrying pouch, but I found a nice solution: I use the pouch which came with my DA55-300, I rarely carry both anyway.
02-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm much happier with the stabilized video of the K3 by the way.
May I ask what are you comparing K-3's Movie SR to which leads you to that conclusion?
I know this is slightly off topic (though this is the Video forum), but you're the first person I've read who is happy with the Movie SR on a K-3.
02-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
May I ask what are you comparing K-3's Movie SR to which leads you to that conclusion?
I know this is slightly off topic (though this is the Video forum), but you're the first person I've read who is happy with the Movie SR on a K-3.
yea for sure.

I do NO video, none. I've shot one video with the K5, hated it because I couldn't control audio levels and I didn't have a microphone.

So now I got the K3. I recorded two vids, one with the K3 and D800 back to back, and I've done others with the K3. The K3 I find is pretty stable and controls my herky jerky feelings pretty good in comparison. So I'm happy with it in that respect. I don't recall the concerns others have had, but I know that I have very limited/no concerns from what I've seen so far.

is the video I recorded with my K3 this past weekend
02-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wired, i like the sound that band makes!

thx for the post.