Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k5 video. "Bob Dyaln mash-up/cover by Toni Etherson

I shot a video of a local singer/song writer Toni Etherson doing a Bob Dyaln mash-up/cover with my k5 using the 85mm f2 and a gf1 with 20mm f1.7 and thought I would share it along with a bts image.

Name:  20140205_200021_1.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  154.0 KB

Shot in my studio The Kirky Studio

02-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Congratulations both for you and Toni, nice job, fine production!
02-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. Though I think this is a cover and not a mash up.
02-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She has a beautiful voice and plays great!
Video is A+++!

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 08:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Nice. Though I think this is a cover and not a mash up.
I think it's considered a mash-up when one alternates between 2+ songs...

02-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great lighting and editing!
02-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
She has a beautiful voice and plays great!
Video is A+++!

---------- Post added 02-07-14 at 08:27 PM ----------

I think it's considered a mash-up when one alternates between 2+ songs...
You're right. My bad.
02-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm glad people like the video

02-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So do you as well shoot more often in different light-situations with your K-5 ?
Can you tell me your trick and workaround on manual exposure maybe?

I used to be a professional broadcast cameraman - but I lost my mind by trying right exposure on my K-5.
If you know what I mean you will know I can see the basic truth - but some magic ingredient is missing to my mind.

Changing f-stops doesn't work logically at all with AE-L ON or OFF - I just don't get it - liveview and footage mostly dont react
as logic supposes and hopes for - again and again .. Just a lense with manual aperture ring can do the trick while AE-L is ON
02-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
So do you as well shoot more often in different light-situations with your K-5 ?
Can you tell me your trick and workaround on manual exposure maybe?

I used to be a professional broadcast cameraman - but I lost my mind by trying right exposure on my K-5.
If you know what I mean you will know I can see the basic truth - but some magic ingredient is missing to my mind.

Changing f-stops doesn't work logically at all with AE-L ON or OFF - I just don't get it - liveview and footage mostly dont react
as logic supposes and hopes for - again and again .. Just a lense with manual aperture ring can do the trick while AE-L is ON
The k5 is a pain and I'm never really sure what settings is using apart from the aperture.

I set the camera to have a flat an image I can and use a white bit of card to force the camera to adjust exsposure. Moving the card or camera next to lights till I get what I need then lock the exposure. Once that is done I use the -/+ eV control to fine tune the exposure I want.

It's tricky and a pain but I've been able to get out to record scenes that match well with gh2s in post.
02-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, after my last episode with overblown white edges on faces and bright walls ...
I happened to see that video below * - to see that my only help (you mentioned as well) is
to use that +/- compensation after first pushing the right AE-Lock and then a push the
green button to get a briefly idealized camera-wish for the right f-stop (if possible at all - not
to sure about that yet, because I also changed the area of light-metering again and again.
Now I will go for medium area exposure - or spot maybe, but that can be delt with in tele-mode
as well - if you use a glass with an all one focal length ...

Still trying to tweak and cheat to get it right ...
What a stupid exposure-mess-up here Pentax is responsible for some years at K-7 and K-5
but I have hopes to somehow come close to being able to manage it with intense efforts and
good ND-filters for preventing a to small iris (bad IQ / deep DOF / high speed shutter)
What a drag - but a challenge too !

* Go for those three sentences starting in minute 0:55 - which made me accept this substitute

> But why use only f:4.0 in blue skies ? Very high speed-shutter will be the result

Last edited by TomGarn; 02-17-2014 at 03:40 AM.
02-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

@Tom: I think he was going for those high shutter speeds. Makes it more... dramatic, hectic I suppose? Think Saving Private Ryan. I imagine that sort of look works for skateboarding videos.

AE-L will only lock the exposure itself. It tells the camera that THIS is the brightness you want. If you change the aperture the camera will obviously adjust accordingly. I think pressing the green button after having pressed AE-L should remove the AE-L...

Also, use the histogram. It will tell you more or less if you'll get overblown highlights, and then use exposure compensation.

I usually select the aperture I need for the DoF I want, though I also have to consider shutter speed and ISO (which takes some guesswork and staring at the screen while quickly panning the camera, if necessary, alternatively you could go to one of the photography modes and see what it will give you there to get an idea of how bright the scene actually is). Then I try to get an AE-L when the histogram shows it's ok (i.e. centered, no overblown highlights, nothing vanishing into complete darkness), perhaps adjusting with exposure compensation if necessary. Then I can start recording. AE-L is mostly there so that the exposure doesn't change if for a short time something dark runs past the camera for example.

This typically works for me, apart from the DA 50 1.8 bug that changes the aperture when I move past a certain focus point (and changes back once I cross that point in the other direction...).
02-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, thanks kadajawi, I get that and how you do it ... Thanks for seriously describing so !

And Jasper Gray may like those stuttering picture stills like pearls on an string, yes ... If he had to use f:32 here for 1/50
this would mean further 6 stops up now while on f:4.0 ... so he will get a shutter-speed of 1/3200. That takes out all smootheness.
That could be called: "Sunny 32" (just saw a video on "Sunny 16")

For me I never liked and worked with zebra or histogram. I always went (and still do) for the visible sceen in the viewfinder.
All information I get out of the images displayed there - but with non-pro cameras they don't show all truth - and yes, now it
can become complicated - especially with old Pentaxes of course ...

First one clearance - a question - about the AE-L: You say it only locks the exposure (aperture / f-stop) This is important !
In my view it also locks shutter-speed and ISO at the same time when rolling. Don't you think so to ? I know it can be difficult
to judge those light changes in the viewfinder / display ...
My first wish of course was to stop automatic aperture so I just fixated that auto-exposure in the menue. But that was not
so clever - it rather has to be on auto-mode (what I hate of course usually) being fixated with AE-L only.

That concerns our basic settings of course - we seem to forget to discuss sometimes - but we must mention that or it can
get unclear: If you are recording in a bright situation and the light dimms a lot - the only chance to see the scene enough is
to unlock AE-L while rolling ... but that that will result in a terrible jump towards an overblown image. This has to be so because
now the camera throws up all gain it can produce (High-ISO) and will cut down the high-speed of the shutter (if used before)
So this is my prove, that AE-L is locking all those 3 components of light-measuring ...

As I said, I want a way to react to sudden changes of light - and this can only be done by leaving aperture on auto-mode
in tme menue ... and locking it with AE-L (togeher with shutter and ISO-gain)
And if you suddenly need a higher or lower f-stop, you can at least manage that by unlocking AE-L ... while recording
My work-out in progress still is: Will the aperture have the priority - before ISO and shutter come in to the game ?

If you use the Green Button it's the same auto-exposure - just for once - and you can watch the f-stop displayed while
adjusting it the way you want, also while recording and during play-back ... BUT: while rolling the tape you have no
ways of changing exposure - if locked in the menue. Other way round - with automode-expsoure in menue - now letting
go of AE-L is the only possibility to change aperture while shooting. (... if not with a fully manual lense of course)

Last edited by TomGarn; 02-17-2014 at 05:12 AM.