Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
software recomendations

I would like to start a thread dedicated to software recommendations for video editing to be a one stop resource for our users.

Please contribute by stating the software package and features.

ie:

Lightroom 5
Offers very basic adjustments to video including exposure. has a few video pre-sets for black and white and color modes. Cannot use Develop module for video editing.

02-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Cannot use Develop module for video editing.
Well actually you can, sort of.
You take a still from the video, open it in Develop mode and make your changes - save as a preset then use that preset on the video.

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2014
It's fast, smooth and intuitive. Colour grading is easy as are other editing features.
02-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mac OS X and iOS users have iMovie...

QuoteQuote:
Description
With a beautiful, streamlined design, iMovie puts the focus on your video and lets you tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, and create beautiful HD movies and Hollywood-style trailers. And with iCloud, you can enjoy them in iMovie Theater on all your devices.

Quickly browse and share video
• Enjoy your video library in Video browsing mode
• Easily share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import and native AVCHD support let you begin watching and sharing your video instantly

Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world's top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits in the Outline
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones in the Storyboard

Create beautiful HD movies
• Choose from 15 unique themes with matching titles and transitions
• Enhance your movie by customizing titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Drag one clip above another to create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side, and green screen effects
• Use color-coded audio waveforms to find the right volume, fade audio in and out, and create advanced audio edits
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand, and even your own narration

Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use color controls
• Stabilize shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 38 fun video and audio effects

Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with beautiful posters as you share clips, movies, and trailers
• Click any poster to watch full screen
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy on your HDTV with iMovie Theater on Apple TV

Share with friends and family
• Email video clips and projects
• Publish directly to YouTube and Vimeo
• Share on Facebook
• Upload newsworthy video to CNN iReport
• Post to Youku and Tudou
Apple - iMovie for Mac

Apple - iMovie for iOS

And if you need more, and have $300 to spend, Final Cut Pro

QuoteQuote:
Description
Completely redesigned from the ground up, Final Cut Pro adds extraordinary speed, quality, and flexibility to every part of the post-production workflow.

Revolutionary Video Editing
• Assemble clips in the Magnetic Timeline without clip collisions or sync problems
• Use Clip Connections to attach B-roll, sound effects, and music to the timeline
• Reduce clutter by grouping clips into a Compound Clip.
• Perfect your pacing right in the timeline with the Inline Precision Editor
• Cycle through different shots, graphics, or effects at one place in the timeline with Auditions
• Edit multi-camera projects with automatic sync and support for up to 64 camera angles

Powerful Media Organization
• Organize your work within libraries for efficient media management and collaboration
• Work natively with a broad range of formats including RED, AVCHD, H.264 from DSLRs, and mor
• Content Auto-Analysis captures camera metadata and analyzes shots in the background
• Create and apply custom keywords on the fly as you select ranges in clips
• Smart Collections let you dynamically organize content and find any shot in a few clicks

Incredible Performance
• Final Cut Pro uses all the GPUs in your Mac for superior real-time playback performance and fast background renderin
• 64-bit architecture uses all the RAM in your system for larger projects and richer effects
• Background processing lets you keep working without interruption
• External monitoring lets you route video and audio through HDMI or third-party Thunderbolt and PCIe devices

Compelling, Customizable Effects
• Preview effects to see how they look with your footage before applying them
• Change the look of titles, transitions, and effects using intuitive controls
• Control effects with precision using a keyframe editor that appears directly in the timeline
• Use third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces and dual-GPU support

Integrated Audio Editing
• Expand and edit multichannel audio files directly in the timeline
• Let Final Cut Pro repair significant audio problems such as hum, excessive noise, and more
• Sync DSLR video with separate audio in a single step, with instant audio waveform matching

Intuitive Color Grading
• Improve the look of any clip with the single-click Balance Color feature
• Apply the Match Color feature to match the looks of two clips shot under different conditions
• Manipulate color, saturation, and exposure with the Color Board
• Fine tune color for a specific color range or area of the screen using keying and masks

One-Step, Optimized Output
• Deliver projects for playback on Apple devices and websites such as Vimeo, YouTube, and Facebook
• Use themed menus to quickly author and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc
• Export customized audio stems and multiple versions of a finished video using Roles metadata
• Import and export XML to support third-party workflows

System Requirements: OS X v10.9 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K), OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later, 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K), 3.5GB of disk space.

Some features require Internet access; additional fees may apply. Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs.
https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/
02-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony Movie Studio (Windows only)

Excellent for everything from creating slide shows with music to full video productions. Includes a module for burning DVDs or Blu-rays as the final product. Features GPU acceleration. Also works with some of the same third-party software as the even more pro-level Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

For Mac users, this one is worth booting into Windows for.

03-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you want to correct colors and give it a much nicer look that is closer to film, look into Filmconvert. Especially if you already have Premiere Pro or After Effects.
03-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
If you want to correct colors and give it a much nicer look that is closer to film, look into Filmconvert. Especially if you already have Premiere Pro or After Effects.
the more i play around with filmconvert, the more i like it. It seems less aggressive on the footage than sthing like colorista.
thks for the tip.

I wonder, is it possible to make a still from premiere pro, apply some changes in lightroom 3.5! and apply that in some way into premiere pro?
03-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
the more i play around with filmconvert, the more i like it. It seems less aggressive on the footage than sthing like colorista.
thks for the tip.

I wonder, is it possible to make a still from premiere pro, apply some changes in lightroom 3.5! and apply that in some way into premiere pro?
I guess you could export as TIFF in Premiere Pro (or something like that), import the photos into Lightroom, edit them (synchronize...), export again and then turn them back into a video.

Colorista is as gentle or agressive as you like it to be, getting good results can be quite a challenge. On the other hand Filmconvert is trying to be physically accurate. You just can't go as nuts with it. I think Filmconvert is a super fast (in terms of getting the look, as well as rendering speed) and super easy way of getting what you want, but Colorista or Looks can get you further, to a more stylized look.

03-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

On the other hand Filmconvert is trying to be physically accurate. You just can't go as nuts with it. I think Filmconvert is a super fast (in terms of getting the look, as well as rendering speed) and super easy way of getting what you want, but Colorista or Looks can get you further, to a more stylized look.
I ended up grading with the baked in premiere tools first, then added some punch with filmconvert and then added some more with 2 of the presets of Looks (free version) dialled down to 30% or so. Gives great results.

Only downside now is that when i render the whole thing, I have to wait a day...:-) and I have a fast pc...
04-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Can't wait to see the finished results. Maybe you can post a screenshot?

I think Filmconvert is meant to be the first step, cause it is camera specific. Even the settings in the camera matter... (I picked the D7000 because it should have a very similar sensor...).
04-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can't wait to see the finished results. Maybe you can post a screenshot?

I think Filmconvert is meant to be the first step, cause it is camera specific. Even the settings in the camera matter... (I picked the D7000 because it should have a very similar sensor...).
Think you're right. First filmconvert, then grading and then overlay a look. Didn't notice the option to choose a camera. I'll have a 2nd look at it.
Actually, the free version of Looks already contains nice templates. Do you have the full?

ps: don't expect too much of that short movie. And it takes so long because audio is an issue. It was recorded next to a sculpture atelier... Don't know who came up with the idea of putting the film atelier next to the sculpture one..!
+ I need to record some russian radionews (specifically on easter!) and hope they say what i want them to say...:-)
But I want the audio in before posting..

I did redo this (boring:-) travel movie with Looks (A77..). Like it though. You don't need to sit out the whole thing again, but the one but last scene (flower and sea) turned out nice and also the color in the barns in one of the earlier shots along the road..
And the birds in the sky are quite vintage as well :-)
06-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Think you're right. First filmconvert, then grading and then overlay a look. Didn't notice the option to choose a camera. I'll have a 2nd look at it.
Actually, the free version of Looks already contains nice templates. Do you have the full?

ps: don't expect too much of that short movie. And it takes so long because audio is an issue. It was recorded next to a sculpture atelier... Don't know who came up with the idea of putting the film atelier next to the sculpture one..!
+ I need to record some russian radionews (specifically on easter!) and hope they say what i want them to say...:-)
But I want the audio in before posting..

I did redo this (boring:-) travel movie with Looks (A77..). Like it though. You don't need to sit out the whole thing again, but the one but last scene (flower and sea) turned out nice and also the color in the barns in one of the earlier shots along the road..
And the birds in the sky are quite vintage as well :-)
There is an option from A@obe to Download Creative Suite 2 an Premier 2 for free. You do need to have an Adobe account > Just do a search for A@obe CS-2 entitlement . Have not checked for a while but I reasonably sure that they are still working.

Hope this helps
06-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2014
It's fast, smooth and intuitive. Colour grading is easy as are other editing features.
+1 for Magix Movie Edit pro!

HDR effects, 99 tracks, multicam, and what's the best - very intuitive. Before this I tried a lot of different programs (both freeware and trial versions) and constantly had to look into the HELP, but Magix was somehow a natural UI. Very intuitive!

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Plus ? Movie editing software
07-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That Lightroom trick also works in version4 (CS4)
When I've used it, I've used the 'extract photo' function in the K-01, with the video paused during playback, done the adjustment on the Jpeg in develop, saved as preset, gone to Library, applied the preset to the video.

I edit using GV Edius.
PC only, latest version requires Win7x64-SP1
It's a scalar program, so the only limit to the number of tracks and effects you can use is the power of your CPU, the amount of RAM, and the bandwidth of your SATA ports.
Supports a raft of video and audio plug-ins, inc VST for the sound.
Does multicam with ease, includes more tools then anyone needs for most things.
It's a steep learning curve, but once you know it, it's faster to turn around edits then every other NLE that I've tried - Which includes Media Composer, Premiere, FCP7 and Lightworks - When I have tried others, I usually get frustrated with how awkward it is to do stuff that simple in Edius, and I go back to it.
The only limits I've found for files is flv's from YouTube, and 4K in Edius 6.01.

When I trialed Edius 7, I had K-01, 5D, JVC HD7, GoPro, HPX-500, AG-AF100, Atomos ProRes and Red One footage all on the same timeline.
ver 7 also does 3D streams natively.

The colour correction is Edius is pretty good for most things, but I think there's a little more range in what Lightroom can do, but,.. Lightroom can only apply the preset to the whole file, whereas the colour correction is like every other effects function in Edius, and can be Key-Framed so the effects evolve through the take.