Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I made my first video!

I'm trying to teach myself how to use Premiere because my company wants to get into ecom videos rather than just photography. I've been watching the tutorials on adobe.com. I really just needed some video clips so I could actually start using the program. This isn't a work of art.

I set up my K-3 on a tripod to get closeup video and sound and shot a few (crappy) alternate angles with my K-5. Threw them together and synced up the various clips. I'm pretty pleased with the results, though I can see some obvious things to improve for next time. Both cameras were shooting 1/50, f/4 , ISO 2000 and 720p/30

03-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice,
obvious things to improve, of which you probably are aware of yourself now..:
why did it take so long to change to the top view. It took ages.. so more shots to keep the viewer interested.
Like maybe a wide openingshot.
And maybe some shots of the tools that are being used and of what is in the basket next to it. things like that.

About premiere:
the effects that i personally use most:
unsharp mask
fast color corrector
three way color corrector
rgb curves
brightness and contrast
crop

and maybe colorista free. you can download it for free. easy to adjust colors a bit
hope it is helpful
Is a nice hobby by the way, i used to do it as a kid... :-)
03-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

First of all disclaimer, I'm in no ways a proper filmmaker. I've had film courses at my university, but we only analyzed movies. I do am an avid watcher of Film Riot, which you might want to watch too. And I have recently started to edit more of my videos (capturing is easy and fun... but editing...).

Mh. I reckon you could trim maybe 5-6 minutes from the video. Give it some speed. You don't have to be Michael Bay here, but I'd say try to keep the length of shots down (say 10-20 seconds perhaps, if there is repetition less?). That's something I struggle with... I hate trimming down my videos. You can do longer shot, but usually only if there is really interesting stuff going on, and even then you might want to cut in other footage. Think about movies. Say the character wants to drive to his ex-wife to pick up his kids for a day, and it's a 3 hour drive. You might give some shots of him grabbing a toy, then him leaving the house. Next shot is him getting into the car. 5 seconds of driving here, 5 seconds driving there, and he pulls up to the house. Next shot his finger on a door bell. Try to give us what is essential. Also, an establishing shot wouldn't hurt. I might want to shoot a wide angle shot of the whole scene, then a shot of the tools as grispie suggested, then the start of the work. Show steps, not the whole process. Oh yeah, and there's something like 20 seconds near the end (plus some more in between once in a while) where all we see is a blurry head, or hand. Not really needed.

What I usually try to do in Premiere is watch the footage and select the parts that I want (i.e. using the { } buttons). Stretches where little happens get thrown out unless I really want them. I'll add those selected parts to the timeline. Then I watch the edited video. Do I feel bored at some point? Do I think something is unnecessary? Cut out. Try to get a nice flow perhaps, especially if you're cutting to music. After that I'll try to match the shots in color temperature and brightness/contrast, at least where it makes sense (if you switch from indoors to outdoors it can look different of course). Make them reasonably neutral. After that you can try to give it a nice look. FilmConvert is pretty nice if you want to get more cinematic, as it emulates how 35mm film looks like.

Activate the SR on the K-5 if you haven't, and deactivate it on the K-3. The K-5 makes for a great handheld camera, while the K-3 needs a tripod (or similar) for good video.

Last edited by kadajawi; 03-09-2014 at 10:43 PM.
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Both cameras were shooting 1/50, f/4 , ISO 2000 and 720p/30
I understand that K3 can manual controls on video mode, but K5 how do you set up that exposure settings ? ?

04-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at the 4:59 mark

nice first video...just some hints. you have several shots where the person reaches across the camera and blocks the view. This would be a great time to desolve into 2nd camera ...arm blocks and then you cut to the other camera. Its a technique often used in showing time. IT happens a few times and one in particular is at the 4:59 mark. Also like another viewer stated. it took way to long to show 2nd camera. and