Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Banned

645Z Movie shooting functions

QuoteQuote:
On the PENTAX 645Z, you can record Full HD movies at a maximum of 60i, and HD movies at a maximum of 60p. Even at the same resolution, when the large image sensor of the PENTAX 645Z is taken advantage of, depiction that overflows with three-dimensional detail can be obtained that rivals cinema camera super 35mm and 35mm full-frame cameras. Because you can apply Custom Image such as Cross Process effects, you can create movies with a diverse array of tones. Setting the maximum sensitivity of ISO 3200 for recording is possible. One of the merit is you can shoot movies with a minimum of lighting. In addition to a built-in stereo microphone, the PENTAX 645Z is also equipped with an external microphone jack (levels can be adjusted).

Record movies that boast a resolution four times that of Full HD
4K interval movies

4K interval movies function is equipped on this camera which lets you take images that were captured for a certain interval and connect them to record as a single movie. Resolution is approximately four times higher than that of Full HD. With this feature you can experience the world of super high-resolution movies. Full HD and HD is also supported.

- The compression format is Motion JPEG, and file format is AVI.
- The shooting interval can be set from 2 seconds to 1 hour, and the shooting time can be set from 14 seconds to 99 hours. The shooting time available for setting will change depending on the shooting interval.
- Max. shutter speed is 1/30 sec.
- To play back a 4K Interval Movie, a computer environment that supports 4K movie playback is required.
Feature 4?645Z | RICOH IMAGING

It looks like the same movie functions of the K-3.

04-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Feature 4?645Z | RICOH IMAGING

It looks like the same movie functions of the K-3.
yes, except sensor are much bigger so less noise...
04-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Praying to God they'll use a portion of the sensor and they don't use massive line skipping off that huge sensor or moire and aliasing artifacts will be off the charts...
04-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they use only a portion of the sensor, well that would be the same thing as cropping the image circle, i.e., using a cropped sensor. So that wouldn't really help unless you wanted to go telephoto. And then you might as well use a smaller sensor and body, like a K-3, which would have the advantage of faster readout speed to begin with and less rolling shutter.

Rather than using a cropped portion of the sensor, it would be better to actually read all (or most) of the lines and combine them during processing ... but that's a whole lotta data ... we'll have to see how much moire there is when production versions hit the market ....

04-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tanzer- right, that would result in a nasty crop factor. I know that doing video from a stills sensor presents a multitude of technical hurdles- very few have got it right and usable. I have my doubts video on the 645Z will be used in any serious manner- 4K is the new push in terms of tech,

Panasonic and Sony pushing it that way - from what I've seen the real killer to date in this regard is the GH4. The A7S looks to have some real issues with rolling shutter jello- read out from a full frame CMOS sensor is again, a complex task. CMOS isn't really the best answer for video- I know the Arri Alexa uses a CMOS sensor, but it's been highly tuned for video. Not sure if that would translate well to a stills camera.

What we need: either a new tech (neither CCD or CMOS) for global shutter acquisition or development of a CCD that is better in terms of power consumption and heat dissipation.

I'll just go down to the basement and get out my exacto knives and dremel and a soldering iron and see what I can come up with tonight. :-)
04-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The Pentax does not output 4K video as such - it can only do so in a sort of "time lapse" mode, if I've understood their marketing blurb correctly (they call it "4K interval recording". So this is not the ultimate 4K camera by any means; but it does perhaps pave the way to a full 4K Medium Format camera in future. As a fan of this size and shape of camera, I can only say that I'm excited by the prospect, although if you're going to this much trouble and expense to make video, it might be better to wait for the rumoured Alexa 65 mm camera and any others that might spring up to claim this space.
RedShark News - Does Medium Format video make sense?

I will shoot cinema 4K (4096x2160) with my Pentax lenses and GH4 soon.
04-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Virglr : Take a look at the Aja Cion - 4k video from a Global Shutter CMOS sensor.

Global Shutter is the key - it's the same sort of read-out as CCD's have, so no Jello effects.

Cion, BMD 4K, BMD Ursa and Bolex D16 is pretty much the entire list of cameras under $10k that use Global Shutter.

Not sure if the Kinefinity cameras use Global or Rolling shutter.