Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K3 for professional video use - Questions

I am a proud owner of a Pentax K3. I got it to replace my old, beloved, K100D. Primarily I bought it to have a really good still camera and a replacement for my K100D, not for video use. However, as I have been getting to know my K3 I have been exploring its video capabilities as well.

I make my living as a freelance videographer. My background is in broadcast television. Most of what I do involves ENG style run-and-gun shooting with a full shoulder ENG broadcast camera or live multi-cam work for events with multiple 1/3" chip cameras and live video switchers.

My intent was never to use the K3 as a video camera for any kind of professional work. As I have played around with it though I have become more and more impressed with its video capabilities. It looks like I may have a feature documentary coming up and I am strongly considering using the K3, at least in part, for shooting this project.

I do have some questions about using the K3 for video that I can't seem to find answers for-
  • I will be shooting this project at 24p. However, even at 24p, I can't seem to set the shutter to 1/48. The closest I can seem to get is 1/50. Is there some way to get a 1/48 shutter? It seems like 1/50 could produce stuttering in the video, but maybe shutter in video mode on a DSLR doesn't work the same way as on a video camera or a mechanical shutter on a motion film camera.
  • I would like to be able to record from the HDMI port an uncompressed signal for a more rubust codec while editing. What exactly does the HDMI output? Does it output true 24p or does it use some kind of pulldown? Is it 8 bit video out or is it higher? What is the color space from live HDMI out, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, something else?
  • I have invested a lot in V-mount power systems for my video gear. I would like to put my K3 on a rig with a V mount plate. The K3 seems to use a proprietary power connector though power tap to K3 adapter. Any idea how I might run my K3 off a v-mount battery system? It would be very nice to be able to run the camera, recorder, audio recorder and video monitor off of a single power system.

05-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Grunseth Quote
I am a proud owner of a Pentax K3. I got it to replace my old, beloved, K100D. Primarily I bought it to have a really good still camera and a replacement for my K100D, not for video use. However, as I have been getting to know my K3 I have been exploring its video capabilities as well.

I make my living as a freelance videographer. My background is in broadcast television. Most of what I do involves ENG style run-and-gun shooting with a full shoulder ENG broadcast camera or live multi-cam work for events with multiple 1/3" chip cameras and live video switchers.

My intent was never to use the K3 as a video camera for any kind of professional work. As I have played around with it though I have become more and more impressed with its video capabilities. It looks like I may have a feature documentary coming up and I am strongly considering using the K3, at least in part, for shooting this project.

I do have some questions about using the K3 for video that I can't seem to find answers for-
  • I will be shooting this project at 24p. However, even at 24p, I can't seem to set the shutter to 1/48. The closest I can seem to get is 1/50. Is there some way to get a 1/48 shutter? It seems like 1/50 could produce stuttering in the video, but maybe shutter in video mode on a DSLR doesn't work the same way as on a video camera or a mechanical shutter on a motion film camera.
  • I would like to be able to record from the HDMI port an uncompressed signal for a more rubust codec while editing. What exactly does the HDMI output? Does it output true 24p or does it use some kind of pulldown? Is it 8 bit video out or is it higher? What is the color space from live HDMI out, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, something else?
  • I have invested a lot in V-mount power systems for my video gear. I would like to put my K3 on a rig with a V mount plate. The K3 seems to use a proprietary power connector though power tap to K3 adapter. Any idea how I might run my K3 off a v-mount battery system? It would be very nice to be able to run the camera, recorder, audio recorder and video monitor off of a single power system.
1/50 is fine. I don't know of any DSLR or mirrorless camera that offers 1/48.

IIRC you can't get a clean HDMI signal out of the camera-there's always an overlay

Don't know about power, but if you really wanted, you could probably hack the grip and run power through that.

FWIW, I've got a K-3 but shoot video with the Panny GH2. Much more flexibility and aftermarket support. I shoot Pentax lenses with an adapter.
05-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LaurenOE is a poster here on the Forums that would also have some insights for you on the K3 and video. I would suggest reading the entire threads...
05-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends what you are doing, but all SLRs have limited video time due to heating of the large sensor. So they are a liability if you need more than 5 minutes as you meed to take into account hot days.

05-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Depends what you are doing, but all SLRs have limited video time due to heating of the large sensor. So they are a liability if you need more than 5 minutes as you meed to take into account hot days.
Panasonic solved this issue years ago. My Panasonic GH2 can record for hours without overheating.
05-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the k-3 records video at ~22Mbps, which is weak by today's standards.

with careful handling, by a knowledgeable editor, it could be enough for the web, but i wouldn't put it on blu-ray.

you'll need to be up to speed on film-style shooting, because you probably don't have a parfocal lens for the k-3.
05-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the k-3 records video at ~22Mbps, which is weak by today's standards.

with careful handling, by a knowledgeable editor, it could be enough for the web, but i wouldn't put it on blu-ray.

you'll need to be up to speed on film-style shooting, because you probably don't have a parfocal lens for the k-3.
I am aware of the 22Mbps data rate for internal recording, and I agree that this is unacceptable for most projects I work on, including this documentary. Looking at videos other people have done with the K3 there appears to be quite a bit of video compression artifacts in gradients and shadows. This definitely will not work for broadcast projects.

This is why I was asking about the HDMI output. I was thinking that I could perhaps record straight from HDMI with a Hyperdeck Shuttle for less compression. If it is true that I can't get a clean feed from HDMI this obviously isn't an option.

I will likely shoot the entire project with my ENG cameras as I originally planned, unless I find out there is a way to get a clean, live HDMI feed.

05-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I will be shooting this project at 24p. However, even at 24p, I can't seem to set the shutter to 1/48.
Cos it's not there The only DSLR's I've seen that do 1/48th, or even the correct shutter speeds for NTSC, are the 5D, and Canon's with Magic Lantern installed.
It is something that needs to be changed in the firmware of all video capable Pentax camera, along with being able to select the 'native' ISO's, Which the camera can use in Program mode, but the user can't in Manual exposure mode.

I would like to be able to record from the HDMI port an uncompressed signal for a more robust codec while editing.
So do the rest of us!
Unfortunately it's not yet possible, again this is one of the Firmware gripes, and not just for the K3.
Nikon have begun offering 'clean feed' HDMI, and it's again a Magic Lantern thing, along with the GH4 and Sony's upcoming A7s.

Ditto what John said regarding heat issues - I've shot several hours at a time on my K-01 and never had a single heat issue, I've found no reports of anyone having a heat problem on a K3 ( and have been looking as it's my next camera )

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
Get a 'classic' or 'Full Frame film' Sigma lens, all of mine are Parfocal, so operate the same as the Zooms you're used to on the ENG cameras - Snap in, focus, snap out.
You'll need a Matte Box to control flares
The Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 is a damn good lens for video in my personal experience - I find mine to be a better video lens then it is a stills lens.

On the CoDec - it's the same CoDec as used in the K-01. I'm in the habit of shooting in the Muted profile, with the Contrast and Highlights set to provide a really flat image, and then control my lighting so that the vast majority of what the camera is seeing is exposed within the dynamic range of the sensor and CoDec. A USB/DMX controlled dimmer pack for my Redheads doesn't hurt
Outdoors can be difficult, unless you have a bag full of ND's and Fleckies or Silks to shade the talent.
However, if you can stay withing the exposure range of what the CoDec can deal with, you can get very good vision out of the Pentax cameras.

That lack of clean HDMI output, is probably the most frustrating part of owning a Pentax Camera.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-23-2014 at 11:35 PM.
06-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Cos it's not there The only DSLR's I've seen that do 1/48th, or even the correct shutter speeds for NTSC, are the 5D, and Canon's with Magic Lantern installed.
It is something that needs to be changed in the firmware of all video capable Pentax camera, along with being able to select the 'native' ISO's, Which the camera can use in Program mode, but the user can't in Manual exposure mode.

So do the rest of us!
Unfortunately it's not yet possible, again this is one of the Firmware gripes, and not just for the K3.
Nikon have begun offering 'clean feed' HDMI, and it's again a Magic Lantern thing, along with the GH4 and Sony's upcoming A7s.

Ditto what John said regarding heat issues - I've shot several hours at a time on my K-01 and never had a single heat issue, I've found no reports of anyone having a heat problem on a K3 ( and have been looking as it's my next camera )

Get a 'classic' or 'Full Frame film' Sigma lens, all of mine are Parfocal, so operate the same as the Zooms you're used to on the ENG cameras - Snap in, focus, snap out.
You'll need a Matte Box to control flares
The Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 is a damn good lens for video in my personal experience - I find mine to be a better video lens then it is a stills lens.

On the CoDec - it's the same CoDec as used in the K-01. I'm in the habit of shooting in the Muted profile, with the Contrast and Highlights set to provide a really flat image, and then control my lighting so that the vast majority of what the camera is seeing is exposed within the dynamic range of the sensor and CoDec. A USB/DMX controlled dimmer pack for my Redheads doesn't hurt
Outdoors can be difficult, unless you have a bag full of ND's and Fleckies or Silks to shade the talent.
However, if you can stay withing the exposure range of what the CoDec can deal with, you can get very good vision out of the Pentax cameras.

That lack of clean HDMI output, is probably the most frustrating part of owning a Pentax Camera.
IIRC I've seen some ugly artefacts when there is movement in the K-3 codec (at least what I've seen from it). It was visible I believe when something with a gradient moved across the frame, even when so little was happening that the bitrate should be more than enough. A very visible blocking would appear, like the gradient of a block would be mirror, so that it went the wrong way. With the K-5 you had to try really, really hard to get any kind of artefacts. At more or less 80 Mbps it's just extremely robust. Just one of the areas where the K-5 is better for video (in others the K-3 is better. A combination of both would be pretty damn good.) Btw., it's not h264 itself that is causing the problems, I can compress my videos pretty much, usually 5 Mbps is enough for clean video, at most it goes up to around 15 Mbps when there is a ton of movement. It's the way the K-3 compresses video... the encoder is not very good unfortunately (Panasonic has much, much better encoders. I've seen near perfect video at 16 Mbps and less from their dedicated video cameras, using h264).

If you like what a DSLR can do in terms of video, switch the brand. Nikon has clean HDMI in something as lowly as the D5200 (?), combined with good video quality. And then there is Olympus, with their ridiculously good video stabilisation in the OM-D series (no need for any rig) (The stabilisation in the K-5 is already good (worse than useless in the K-3), but Olympus seems better). And the Panasonic GH series of course, the probably only still cameras actually meant for video. Very good quality. And Canon, when used with Magic Lantern.

Pentax has again and again shown that video is not important to them, and the only reason why their cameras support video is because they'd get poor reviews if they didn't support it/it looks good on the box under specifications.

Btw., if the camera supports focus peaking I don't think you need to zoom in to focus and then zoom out again. You can easily judge what's in focus. When I tried the Sony a57 It worked really well, sadly the a57 doesn't take very nice video.
06-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

That description of the artefacts sounds similar to what I experienced occasionally on the K-01 with v1.03 firmware.

We had a shoot with a singer with curls of blonde hair. When she bounced the curls about, there was the odd frame of video where the curls would become blocky. It wasn't a constant thing, and it was only on one frame, then gone. I put it down to the low data rate at the time, but I haven't seen it again on either of the more recent versions of the firmware.

I agree they have a long way to come yet.

It's not just Panasonic with the decent encoders, Sony does a pretty good job on it's mid-range Video cameras, and from what I've seen, I'd say the encoding used in Canon's video camera range is far superior to what their DSLR's use too - A mate's just bought a HFG-25 Legria, looking forward to seeing how well it does filming local wrestling next weekend, it's replacing a Canon Hdv camera.

That snap-in, focus, snap-out,... that's habit from using ENG cameras, it's pretty much standard technique to the industry AFAIK, even with focus peaking, as it gets the sharpest focus possible.
06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ah, that's good if they have fixed that flaw.

Not sure why these manufacturers use so vastly superior encoders in their video cameras... at least their more video aimed DSLRs/mirrorless cameras could feature such chips too. Then again I guess what Panasonic uses in the GH4 is pretty good.

I use to do that snap-in focus for stills. For video I like to move around too much/my subject moves around too much, so snapping in doesn't do it for me. Weirdly enough the angle at which I look at my screen seems to make a big difference in judging focus on my K-5. Focus peaking would help a lot, especially at apertures/with lenses that do not have shallow depth of field.
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's a nice one.
54 mentions of video vs 32 of photos in Nikon D810 press release | EOSHD.com

Though the D810 is a bit lackluster for video, they marketing department seems to have not noticed it. They really try to sell it as a video camera... apparently video is not that unimportant, is it?! Is it, Pentax?!?

Btw., is there any place we can write to at Pentax, to give them feedback?
06-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nikon are kicking goals with video because they listened to what customers were asking for - so the 800 and 810 feature HDMI Clean Feed out.
Add a ProRes recorder, and the 14 or 15 stops dynamic range, and you get a hell of a combo.

QuoteQuote:
Whilst still in the top fold of the press release, Nikon mention eleven video features highlighted with bullet points, including such amazing features as the ability to change aperture while recording.
I'm like 'Ummmm, guys,..' on that bit of the press release, as I can do that on my K-01.