Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Long overdue video..

Promised to post the rest of this video long time ago.
Better late than never i guess.

It is subtitled in dutch, but all you need to known is that the setting is a "russian library" where the girl comes to work on easter.
In the part that has text, she is called up by a friend who asks her to come to a party, but she refuses as she wants to finish some work in the library.

This was a academic assigment based on "Dekaloog" by Kieslowski. A series about the ten commandments. Every student had to illustrate one of the commandments...

It's far from oscar winning, but it is what it is and was instructive to make. And it's a k3 movie... ;-)

06-27-2014, 06:00 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic composition and top notch cinematography.
07-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, that about closes any argument against the K3 for video quality. Easily the equal of the CaNikons. Even on the Vimeo-Compressed vision you can see great detail in the skin, bokeh highlights, highlights on eyes, and fine detail in the strands of hair.

Cinematography is just about perfect.
The only differences I'd make relate to personal style choices, not technical competence level, so aren't worth mentioning.

I did notice there are a couple of spots where some objects appear to have two shadows - but it's only someone like me who's going to notice that - otherwise the light is diffuse and even across the whole scene.
The grading is lovely, and consistent, muted to reflect the emotional state of the scripted content.

That final pan and tilt looks like a tough one - slow enough to see where the friction in the tripod head is stiff in places - at that slow rate of movement it takes a top end Miller or Vinten to be able to get things smoother, and most watchers won't notice it.

Your actor certain has some skill at the slow breathing and un-blinking gaze needed to portray a dead body.

Well done to the whole cast and crew.
07-03-2014, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thks both for the kind words!

Never could have imagined how much time & effort goes into 8 minutes of finished product. Spent a lot of time thinking about the shots.
I don't think people realize. And this was just a small assigment...

Regarding the grading, I do think I went a bit too far and in the hands of a more experienced colorist, I'd expect the images to be even better and more consistent.
I do plan to dive a bit deeper at a certain point. Maybe try it again using da vinci.

Shame about the final pan and tilt. I saw the cameraman was struggling at the time, and i know i could have done it smoother since i am more acquainted with my gear. But I didn't want to overtake. this was a learning assigment after all.

And yes, lighting a scene is crazy difficult! It came out quite well.

comments relating to "personal style choices" are always welcome though!
chr

07-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wow!! a great example of shooting in film-style mode.

that dolly move was pretty cool.

thx for the post.
07-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, I liked that dolly/slider in the beginning too.

Overall I liked it a lot. I like the grading, the muted colours. Works well for the work, and has a filmic look IMHO. The shift to colder grades were nice, though perhaps a bit too on the nose for my liking.

A few things I noticed: The whites look a bit odd at times, as in there should be a smooth gradient, but there isn't. Not sure why. Perhaps the codec? I also remember having played with your original footage, and I noticed some strange blocking where there really shouldn't be any (not much movement, not much detail, the bitrate of the K-3 should be more than enough for that).

There's no sound of her pouring in coffee (?), or maybe it was too quiet. Also I think I heard the sound of the cup being put down with some delay, it wasn't in sync (I didn't rewind to check again though, cause my computer doesn't really like Vimeo... and Vimeo had this stupid idea of switching between videos when you press the arrow keys... even when in full screen!).

The last pan is a hard one. I think maybe the SR from the K-5 could have smoothed it out just a bit. Then add Premiere's warp stabilizer to get it more fluid, even though you'll loose a bit of sharpness. You don't need to crop much to get it smooth enough I think. Finally I might have tried to add a touch of motion blur, it seemed rather stuttery, at least on my laptop.

But I'm really complaining on a very high level, I like the whole work. It's very well done.
07-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The whites look a bit odd at times, as in there should be a smooth gradient, but there isn't. Not sure why
I think this might be a lighting setup issue. combined with too agressive color grading.

All in all, i think i'll redo the color grading at some point in time. Maybe try out da vinci on it. the shift to colder grading is not smooth enough.
On that last pan. The most stuttery part is in the beginning of that shot. I took it out. Much better and the shot lasted a bit too long anyhow.

I'll check out on the sound sync issues ;-)
thks!

07-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

It's amazing, I love the colours, very professional.

Could I ask for the in camera settings for shooting the video??
07-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
Could I ask for the in camera settings for shooting the video??
I used profile "muted" and contrast/sharpness all the way down. saturation on about 30%