Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Want to start playing with video, but...

Seems Adobe Premier Elements won't import video from my K5 IIs. Suggestions? I'd hate to have to convert the video before doing anything else.

06-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can it link to the media files, let you work in the timeline, then only"convert" whatever you render or export? In Avid this is called AMA linking.
06-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Can it link to the media files, let you work in the timeline, then only"convert" whatever you render or export? In Avid this is called AMA linking.
Won't even let me import. Don't remember the error, but something along the lines of invalid format. I'll try something and confirm.
06-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Won't even let me import. Don't remember the error, but something along the lines of invalid format. I'll try something and confirm.
Will it let you transcode to whatever Premiere's native format is from the linked footage in the timeline? The workflow I'm talking about does not involve importing at all. If you're unfamiliar with the workflow, try googling "Avid AMA linking workflow." I can see how it wouldn't make much sense without more information.

06-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I select "Add Media", it tells me "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

I will have a look at your suggestion. As I mentioned, totally new, so it means nothing too me. lol
07-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed?
A lot of NLE applications use the Quicktime libraries to open the video files.

That error is usually seen if you only have the OS's native CoDecs installed, and not those for for your camera.
IIRC, the K5IIs records Mjpeg, which is usually well supported, but even something like the difference between interlaced and progressive can throw up errors for some programs.

If installing the latest version of Quicktime doesn't help, you might want to try downloading the latest version of VLC with the ffmpeg libraries.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-02-2014 at 11:08 AM.
07-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Something I should have asked first,... Does the video play on your systems default media player?
If so, you already have the CoDec installed, but the editing app isn't seeing, so try a fresh re-install of Elements.

07-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
IIRC, the K5IIs records Mjpeg,
Just checked, and it's actually recording AVI files. Just downloading Quicktime now, so we'll see if that works. Thanks for the ideas.

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 10:18 AM ----------

Thanks PiDicus Rex, installing Quicktime did work. As a note, the system did play the video fine, just Elements didn't like it but it's all good now.

Thanks to all for the help. Always appreciated.
07-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

.avi, .mov, mp4, .mpg,...
Those are the file types, the wrappers that explain to the operating system that the file contains media set out in a particular layout.

The CoDec is the guts inside the wrapper that explains to the editing or playing apps how to interpret the media.

So you can have an AVI, MOV or MP4 that all have .h246 mpeg4 or Mpeg2 inside.
(Mjpeg will only be inside AVI or MOV files)
07-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Just checked, and it's actually recording AVI files.
As prex says, AVI is a container, the codec used inside might be one of any number.

Grab a copy of GSpot - that's give you the info you need about the codecs used.
Here's what it says about a K-7 AVI file.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
07-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

44mbps,... wouldn't mind the K-01 to use that datarate on the .h264.
Does also mean that the SD controller Pentax use is capable of shifting that much data.
07-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm seriously considering ditching the modern pentax bodies in favour of the k-5iis which appears to be the last of the original video system cameras. Eg large file sized video format and real mechanical stabilisation.

Really like the K-30 focus peaking but it doesn't continue when you are recording?!
07-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've seen some nice footage shot with the K-5ii - been thinking about the same switch as you, Richard. Coming up with the dollars at this time is the problem for me
Focus peaking doesn't float my boat, I can do better without it.
07-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Coming up with the dollars at this time is the problem for me
Focus peaking doesn't float my boat, I can do better without it.

The dollars part of the equation is something we share in common.

Have you tried focus peaking Steve?
There's not much to it really, just it gives a bit more feedback on live view when you have an object in focus.
It's the equivalent of an alternative focussing screen through the optical viewfinder really.
Anyway it really helps with manual focussing (which we do often in video work) both in stills and in video, when trying to focus on the relatively tiny rear live view screen.
The implementation on Pentax is pretty good, there's no lag at all, but it lacks the customisability (that's a word right?) of other brands, in that you can't change the highlight colour etc.

I find the rear live view screen actually quite deceptive, in that everything looks great on there and it's only when I get back to a monitor that I start seeing the issues.
It's too good, and honestly quite hard to gauge focus on accurately in some circumstances.

Anyhow, IF Pentax enabled it DURING video it would be amazing.
But they don't ?!
So, in a lot of ways I wouldn't even be sacrificing this going to a K-5iis as it's not there in Video mode when you want it most anyway.

As an aside, I looked at the Sony's today, the A7r and the A6000. I think is good to do every once in a while, as it helps to remind me why I don't want to move away from Pentax!
Specifically I wanted to see how I would get on with an electronic view finder, and once again, despite advances in technology, I just don't think they're for me, and they're not there yet.
07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Have you tried focus peaking Steve?
There's not much to it really, just it gives a bit more feedback on live view when you have an object in focus.
Indeed I have. The K-01, the Q and the K-50 all have it.
I've tried it and don't much like it. I get better results manually focusing using the zoom levels without FP than I do with.
It seems to me that FP leaves too much wiggle room whereas I can see critical focus much better without it.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-08-2014 at 09:08 PM.