Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I thought I'd seen a post by Benjamin Kanarek saying that he used the K-01 for video.
I think I have seen a video by him. The camera work was good, the model attractive, the clothes were great, as well as the location. The video quality itself though sucked. Had he used any other camera I reckon he would have gotten a much better video. Especially the K-5 would have done great, because IIRC there was handheld work.

07-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I think we can expect better video, but apparantly not at the speed in which we hope. The K3 has got it made on an ergonomical level (buttons are where they should be, we can record external audio, etc). But this far, they haven't nailed the software engineering side of things. I will wait out, until they sort this thing out, for a upgrade in which I will do documentary video work.
07-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
...to keep trying with the K-50 (or my K-01) to get decent video quality as if this time it will be different from all the previous attempts.
Steve,
I thought you were planning to try out a canon at some point in time?
No?
07-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I came to my senses just in time

07-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Very seriously considering a Sony A6000 with my Pentax lenses, plus one of those speed booster thingies...
the audio would be a trade off..
believe there is no possibility to use a juicedlink device or similar.
Plus i'm personally not too fond of those small cameras.

quality seems very good though.

Yes, I came to my senses just in time
Liked it?
07-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, after consideration, much research and YouTube reviewing and that all Canon cameras I'd had in the past I ended up selling because I didn't like them, I decided I'd be foolish to buy another one just to fiddle with Magic Lantern hacks.
07-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, after consideration, much research and YouTube reviewing and that all Canon cameras I'd had in the past I ended up selling because I didn't like them, I decided I'd be foolish to buy another one just to fiddle with Magic Lantern hacks.

Fully agree, my thoughts exactly.
I had considered the EOS M mirrorless option, simply as you could put a speed booster on it, but even then they don't seem to be created for this camera yet anyway. Also the Magic Lantern implementation on this camera may not be as fully featured, (not entirely sure on this).

I also want to stay at APS-C sensor size, so I can get the depth of field in shots I'd like, without having to buy expensive lenses to achieve this.

07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding professionals using DSLR's:

A USA network news division tried to convert from Sony pro broadcast quality digital vidcams to 5D's for remote work. Only one of thier shooters could focus them, though, so they went back to the dedcated cameras.
07-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe they should have used their iPhones then
07-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Dunno,...
First, the Einstien Quote,... is also a bit of ol' Albert having a laugh, as half of 'scientific method' is repeating experiments over and over to make sure the results don't vary, before repeating them with small changes to see how they vary.

As for not getting 'quality' out of a Pentax camera,.. I'm pretty happy with what I get the majority of the time - but I do drag around a combination of Arri Redheads, Tungsten Floods, LED's and Battery/Rectifier gear. As well as filters to blind the camera when I need to.

This is a half day of filming with 'available light',... which may include the softboxes and Kino's that were left in the studio space.

https://vimeo.com/pidicusrex
Use ' Ominous ' for the password for Antiquated Kilter scene - the music should be familiar thanks to one awesome forum member.
Use ' Bogan ' for the Demented draft versions - they have footage from K-01, K30, GoPros and 7D - still working on the colour correction for them.
Mandy's voice reel was shot on K-01 and JVC GZ-HD7, using a MR16 style LED lamp for the rear key, and a Chinese Lantern with three 12watt Warm White LED globes inside it for the main light.
07-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"First, the Einstein (corrected) Quote,... is also a bit of ol' (corrected) Albert having a laugh, as half of 'scientific method' is repeating experiments over and over to make sure the results don't vary, before repeating them with small changes to see how they vary."

You just do not get it!
07-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
This is a half day of filming with 'available light',... which may include the softboxes and Kino's that were left in the studio space.
Almost anything would look OK at your 360p upload.. Why not publish a 1080p version???
07-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Regarding professionals using DSLR's:

A USA network news division tried to convert from Sony pro broadcast quality digital vidcams to 5D's for remote work. Only one of thier shooters could focus them, though, so they went back to the dedcated cameras.
Meh. Beginners Too used to their small sensors (full frame is a bitch though). I've seen them use DSLRs frequently for documentaries, reports etc.

Without an additional screen that is high res enough doing the focus is very hard...

For some reason I find it much easier to focus with razor thin DoF as opposed to say f11.

@PiDicusRex: I can't access the private shots as they aren't listed. Or am I overlooking something?

The makeup thing looks fine, though it does jitter around a ton. Just for the fun of it I placed my camera on top of a driving car for example (holding it of course), and it resulted in a smooth video, with no wobble, jittering or anything else (and we were driving on a bad road).

Last edited by kadajawi; 07-24-2014 at 03:08 AM.
07-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
You just do not get it!
Yeah I do, but you missed the 'also' part of it - sure, the literal meaning is obvious, like the first layer of lolz on Big Bang, but there's more behind it that you have to be a science geek to 'get'.

Almost anything would look OK at your 360p upload.. Why not publish a 1080p version???
Bandwidth, as in , I ain't got none, least not till the NBN fibre optic is connected - too far away from the nearest exchange to get decent value for money from a DSL plan.
Fibre doesn't have the same distance limitations as Copper.
I'm sooooo looking forward to proper internet speeds.....
As is, everything I upload to Vimeo is set to 1024x576 - true widescreen PAL Std Def - you should have the option to play it at that resolution - is the "HD" in the bottom right of the play Blue or Grey - Blue should result in a 'HD On' message appearing over the player.

Kadajawi: Those news shooters not liking 5D's,.. I reckon that's more about the lenses then the bodies. ENG Zooms are all Parfocal, Canon EF Zooms are all Varifocal -> one of the advantages of classic Sigma FF K-mount zooms, is that they're Parfocal - you should see the look on some peoples faces when you hand them a K-01 with a secondhand Sigma zoom,... and they rack the zoom back and forth, and repeat, pause, and repeat, and repeat, because they don't believe what they're seeing, and check the AF is off.......

The 'Kilter' scene -
'Demented' draft 02 -

The punk rock song is pre-colour correction (was doing that today) and pre swapping the camera audio for the proper pre-recorded sound.
It's rough and nasty, and that's the way it's meant to be for a punk band.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-24-2014 at 11:03 AM.
07-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
As is, everything I upload to Vimeo is set to 1024x576 - true widescreen PAL Std Def - you should have the option to play it at that resolution - is the "HD" in the bottom right of the play Blue or Grey - Blue should result in a 'HD On' message appearing over the player.
Yep, I've been to Vimeo once or twice before ya know
In the case of your vid, there is no HD icon because it's not a HD res clip, I think you need 720p at least for that.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.