Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

So how bad is Movie SR, really?

'Movie SR', now standard with all PENTAX DLSRs, Mirrorless and Medium Format cameras is digital SR and not the mechanical SR of the former K-7 and K-5 cameras. Movie SR tries to stabilize the image where mechanical SR stabilizes the camera's sensor. It's a big difference but how bad is Movie SR?
Judge for yourself with these hand held clips shot at 300mm where typically one would want to use SR.
Shot with K-50 and 55-300mm DA-L

This is why Pentax MUST work on their video recording features and functions for their cameras.
There are those who argue that you should use a camera made for the job, but that argument doesn't work at all for me. Like many others, I don't want to take two cameras around when one could be used for both stills and video (such as the GH4).

Today I had a great opportunity. A Kookaburra flew close to me and perched on the clothes hoist just a few metres away.
I squeezed off a few stills then flipped the mode dial to Movie mode. Because I was using a 300mm lens hand-held and shooting at the long end, I enabled Movie SR.
Well, see for yourself what rubbish that is.

08-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, all I can say is that I could time how rapidly you were breathing.

I really must play with video a bit more on the K-3...
08-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps you're missing the point. That 'wobble' is the digital SR trying to stabilize the image. Not related to my breathing (which was shallow and slow anyway). I could have done better without using the SR.
08-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity, how did the stills turn out?

You are absolutely correct regarding the electronic in-body video SR on your Pentax camera. I tried it out on my K-3 a couple of days ago and I thought I would wretch, it was so bad. So what are your dSLR options?
  • Force Pentax to fix it for you
  • Switch to another brand dSLR that supports HD video and has mechanical in-body SR
  • Switch to another brand dSLR that supports HD video, but relies on in-lens SR (no more hand-held vintage lenses)
Good luck on the first.* The last would be sub-optimal, but definitely would be something to consider. The middle can be satisfied with several models in the Sony line, at least one of which is in the same price range as your Pentax K-50. Unless, of course, there is something about that Sony model that is undesirable.

Until you figure out a solution that works for you, I guess there is some value in posting daily comments regarding the crappy Pentax video implementation. After all, only a fool would buy and keep such a camera and everyone knows that it is good to show people just how foolish they are.**

Steve

* It is unlikely that mechanical SR for video is something that could be managed in firmware, though it might pop up in a later model. In which case there would be the extra expense of doing the trade up to the new model.

** I fall into the incredibly foolish category since I bought the more expensive K-3 under the delusion that video was not that important. Still though I am feeling smug that I am still less foolish than the new 645Z owners who truly excel in foolishness.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-08-2014 at 12:32 AM.
08-08-2014, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, how did the stills turn out?
Pretty good.
08-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Pretty good.
Too bad the switch off to video is not a smooth as you might have liked.

Steve
08-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

300mm is really challenging the system.
Wonder if my sony would be able to handle that.

this said. this kind of shot, focussing on a moving subject, will not even work on a 100mm... :-(

Last edited by grispie; 08-08-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add on
08-08-2014, 03:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too bad the switch off to video is not a smooth as you might have liked.
Oh yeh, I'm sure it's just me who isn't impressed with Movie SR 'jelly-wobbling'.. lol

When I get the chance, I'll try to do comparison hand held clips with SR on and SR off.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 08:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Wonder if my sony would be able to handle that.
Who cares, this is about Pentax Movie SR being crap compared to their former mechanical stabilization.
08-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Who cares, this is about Pentax Movie SR being crap compared to their former mechanical stabilization.
it's just, besides sony, I'm not aware of any other brand doing in body IS in their dslr. software or mechanical.
except for videocams ofcourse where some do mechanical as well.

I noticed that sony has implemented a less sophisticated IS system on their new 1inch sensor camcorders (ax100 etc...) than on some of their small sensor models (PJ series).
Maybe it is just a cost issue of stabilizing a larger sensor through gyroscope or whatever it's called and only that is driving the fact pentax left mechanical for software?

ps: I'll post a short holiday movie tomorrow with 95% of shots handheld with sr on (shorter focal lengths).
I got away with it, but i'm sure the K5 would have done a much better job. So I hear..
Still thinking of getting a k5 just for this purpose :-)
08-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

h yeh, I'm sure it's just me who isn't impressed with Movie SR 'jelly-wobbling'.. lol
Nope...I am not impressed either. I must admit, though, that I also do not have experience with the previous mechanical system or with the system on the Sony product.

Do you still own your K-7? If so, you are in a position to provide a comparison video between the two systems. I, for one, would be interested in seeing the difference.

As to the matter of "who cares"...Since Sony is the only other option with in-body SR, the question of how well that system works for video is an obvious one for anyone making a buying decision. If both systems suck, then we should all just suck it up and buy a SteadyCam. So much for hand-held video on the fly, eh? At least that sounds reasonable to me, unless this thread is just a rant.*

Steve (the other)

* A rant is sort of like a tantrum, meaning that it is a display of emotion with no chance in heaven or hell of it producing the desired effect or being useful in any way.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 07:12 AM ----------

I forgot to mention that I took a closer look at your example video (above) and I am not sure that the jerkiness of the bird is due to the SR system. The wire and background objects seem to be immune. Are we seeing rolling shutter or something else related to subject movement?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-08-2014 at 07:20 AM.
08-08-2014, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K5 II and I do like the mechanical SR with video (except for the weird screeching sounds it makes at times), but I couldn't hand hold 300mm video shot with or without SR. Just wouldn't happen. Maybe on a monopod I could do it...
08-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Perhaps you're missing the point. That 'wobble' is the digital SR trying to stabilize the image. Not related to my breathing (which was shallow and slow anyway).
No, I saw the jelly wobble - I was speaking of the periodic up and down shift of the frame.
08-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As to the matter of "who cares"...Since Sony is the only other option with in-body SR, the question of how well that system works for video is an obvious one for anyone making a buying decision. If both systems suck, then we should all just suck it up and buy a SteadyCam.
Fyi, the SR on my sony dslr is actually quite good. But I have not tried it yet at 300mm. I don't want to go investing into to two lens mounts.. not yet, at least.
Regardless, handholding at 300mm seems asking a lot.
08-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Fyi, the SR on my sony dslr is actually quite good. But I have not tried it yet at 300mm. I don't want to go investing into to two lens mounts.. not yet, at least.
Regardless, handholding at 300mm seems asking a lot.
Indeed!

Steve
08-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was playing around and discovered something interesting...

A moving subject in the frame when SR is turned on can induce nausea!!!

Apparently the electronic SR system is based on subject tracking rather than camera inertia. Place a pendulum in the frame and enjoy the ride! I would post an example, but don't know how.

Steve