Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
First video - K7 720p

Finally got around to collecting a bunch of assorted K7 clips shot over two trips to Hawaii and compiling them into a video. Shot with my Tamron 17-50, edited with Sony Vegas.

Couple of thoughts:
- Big change in workflow and time compared to stills! Lot more time investment than with photography.
- Grading is not as easy in Vegas as the equivalent is in Lightroom.
- I was suprised at how low resolution 720p was when I first looked at it.
- Not a lot of room to process before the video quality started to suffer - I've learned my lesson and started to shoot with everything (color, contrast) set way down.
- The in-body image stabilization is pretty good but not amazing. Certainly not compared to video from stabilizer rigs. Software IS works better than I thought it would, but there is a big price in image quality.

Anyways, let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions!

08-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

hm, i'd say not bad for a first attempt. I liked it. Saw some real nice compositions.
I'd prefer the title on a black screen before the movie begins, but that is just me...

Bit of shame of some washed out highlights. Not sure if you could have prevented them though..

I know, a lot of work :-), but real nice!
08-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very well done ! (... I still used that equipment almost half a year ago)
I am surprised again how good the K-7 was ... or is ... (in daylight)
True also that Full-HD is quite ahead of 720p (I didn't believe so at start)

With my K-5 I still just use Natural Color - as I don't feel like grading my colours (?) but
I sometimes do change brightness and white balance and use the pixel fixer in low light scenes,
but I guess you cannot call that colour-grading, right ? ... Someday I might want to know about
what can be achieved there - right now I am still learning to handle this camera in different typical
situations for private documentaries.
But I must say the Tamron is quite bad for manual focus - even though it is superb in details !
I prefer old glass with those classical well built focus-rings and bigger distances to pull the focus,
but I haven't come across something like the 17-50, 2.8 yet in terms of good old manual glass -
but this of course lies in the nature of focal length needs in the good old days ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 09-06-2014 at 10:10 AM.
09-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Impressive results you've got there! Really nice
I don't know much about video production so the only suggestion from me would be using a polarizing filter to capture through glass It also helps with the color of foliage.