Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
multi-cam setup, remote control solutions?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm going to start experimenting more in multi-cam setups for live music performances. The idea is to use a pair of go-pros, a K3, a K5, and a D800 placed in strategic locaitons to deliver a multi-cam setup to capture some live bands.

The idea is K3 at the sound board with DA*50-135 setup for a group image of the band.
K5 setup on a tripod to the side of the stage and high up with a DA*16-50
Go Pro down low center stage at the edge of the stage
Go Pro attachted to the drum kit
D800 hand held (with stabalizer)

The problem is that once the band starts playing this is going to be a nightmare to get them all recording. Right now I've done a four camera setup with the 2 gopros, the K3, and the D800. and only in a "studio" situation. Chances are I'll have to get all the cameras rolling right before the bands start and get the first song, first two if I'm lucky due to recording lmits of the cameras,

So the million dollar question? Anyway to start/stop recording of the K3 and K5 remotley? I can control the Gopros from my phone, and the D800 is hand held so no problem there. Worse comes to worse I can trigger the K3 manually too and run back to the stage (small venues anyways). The Flu-Card for K3 does not allow video remote access.

08-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wouldn't two "traditional" radio remote releases do the job for you? Such as this one:

Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control for Canon DSLR with Timer&Time laps | eBay

(cheaper models with shorter range can also be found)
08-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Wouldn't two "traditional" radio remote releases do the job for you? Such as this one:

Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control for Canon DSLR with Timer&Time laps | eBay

(cheaper models with shorter range can also be found)
do they just trigger the shutter, or do they start movie recording too. The shutter and movie record are seperate function buttons.
08-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, at least on my K-3 (as well as on my K-5 of course): The shutter will also start and stop video recording when the shutter release button is fully pressed.

I used to have a radio release, but unfortunately it died some months ago, so I cannot guarantee that it will work on the K-3, but since I can start and stop the recording using the shutter button, I don't see, why a radio remote would not work.

And I can confirm - just tried it - that starting and stopping recording with use of the IR-remote certainly does work on my K-3 as well as on my K-5.

08-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use the Cactus V5 with cables.
A bit inconvient as it takes up the hot shoe for my mic, but when I can't be near the camera it's the best option I have found.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus-wireless-flash-transceiver-v5-duo.html

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus-v5-shutter-cable-sc-c1-for-canon-pentax-samsung.html

08-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Well, at least on my K-3 (as well as on my K-5 of course): The shutter will also start and stop video recording when the shutter release button is fully pressed.

I used to have a radio release, but unfortunately it died some months ago, so I cannot guarantee that it will work on the K-3, but since I can start and stop the recording using the shutter button, I don't see, why a radio remote would not work.

And I can confirm - just tried it - that starting and stopping recording with use of the IR-remote certainly does work on my K-3 as well as on my K-5.

I never tried so I assumed it wouldn't for some reason. But I'll try the remote myself! In that case problem solved (in theory)

I was also thinking of grabbing cactus V6 for my lighting kit anyways (sick and tired of optical triggers not working with the rim light) so a good backup

Thanks
09-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You'd get better results by asking some trusted friends to run the two DSLR's.
Or maybe try the MeetUp website and look for people in your area doing similar projects, or even contact local community TV groups.

K-01 / K30 / 7D /2x GoPro Hero3+Black - Audio's not re-done yet.

( Used the bicycle clamp on a lightstand with a boom arm that usually holds a Fleckie)

09-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You want to do it all alone ?
Hmmmm ... better get some friends to start and look for the cameras - or just run around and start them all by yourself.
At least you have the full advantage to find almost good positions and shots for your cameras - but you can only do
automatic or fixed settings, which is pretty unsecure and problematic because of changing stage-lighting.

Bad example:
We just did a full concert with 6 cameras - with 4 operators - and 1 girl friend - and the Gopro was a stand-alone of course.
1. The so called trustworthy senior cameraman - 75 years old - stood at very left side on the stage - a stupid position cause I often shot him
2. standing before the first row of audience (like in the fire trench) - shooting mostly from the right side - sometimes close to the middle ...
3. A long shot from last row to cover the complete band plus audience (someone's girlfriend protected that position and tried some changes.
4. The boss himself did the handheld close-ups right on stage
5. The GoPro was fixed above and behind the drummer.
6. One camera was on crane - but we found out the operator had no plans and just activated the AF and fixed the f-stop - but mostly to dark

... A very mixed state of operating awarenes - one half of the elements were close to prosumers - the rest was quite unprofessional.
I had no ways to change that at all - I was just a part of it - arriving at the scene two hours before - but the senior had directed all the positions
and I had very little chance to discuss that now - it was to late - I surrendered - and in the end that senior was no a director at all - just an old
cameraman - and the boss HIMSELF was just a beginner who did not lead at all.
iF YOU'LL EVER TRY THIS - BE THE BOSS YOURSELF - OR JOIN A GOOD COMPANY - or just have your sticky experiences ...

We at least started the cameras almost together and shot the "boss" clapping in the mic of the lead singer ... I hope this has done what
it was supposed to do ... We did not put the cameras off for each two runs of the show - The boss now starts learning how to work on Premiere.
I hope he can almost manage that mess and confusion .... .... Oh, man !
09-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Plural Eyes works with Premiere,....
11-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm going to start experimenting more in multi-cam setups for live music performances. The idea is to use a pair of go-pros, a K3, a K5, and a D800 placed in strategic locaitons to deliver a multi-cam setup to capture some live bands.

The idea is K3 at the sound board with DA*50-135 setup for a group image of the band.
K5 setup on a tripod to the side of the stage and high up with a DA*16-50
Go Pro down low center stage at the edge of the stage
Go Pro attachted to the drum kit
D800 hand held (with stabalizer)

The problem is that once the band starts playing this is going to be a nightmare to get them all recording. Right now I've done a four camera setup with the 2 gopros, the K3, and the D800. and only in a "studio" situation. Chances are I'll have to get all the cameras rolling right before the bands start and get the first song, first two if I'm lucky due to recording lmits of the cameras,

So the million dollar question? Anyway to start/stop recording of the K3 and K5 remotley? I can control the Gopros from my phone, and the D800 is hand held so no problem there. Worse comes to worse I can trigger the K3 manually too and run back to the stage (small venues anyways). The Flu-Card for K3 does not allow video remote access.
Use the K-5 handheld, and put the D800 on a tripod. Video quality of the D800 isn't that great anyway, and the K-5 has an excellent stabilizer built in (not sure what you mean with stabilizer... if it is a stabilized lens, the Pentax will be better, and if it is some sort of Glidecam there can still be bumps and jerks, and the K-5 will filter those away). You'll also get very high bitrates, which is great for movement and details (no risk of breaking up), but you'll have big files. Unless you can press record every 5 minutes via remote (and think of it!) it's a bad idea to place it far away from you. The K-5 can't do more than 5 minutes a take, unlike the other cameras which can go on for I guess 30 minutes?