Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-50 & video manual focus?

Hi everyone, I have a Pentax K-50 which I use primarily for photos, but on the rare occasion I like to take a video or two. Now I studied the K-50's manual in depth and know about setting one of my fn buttons to do the auto-focus for me, but I don't really want to use that...the focus lens is just too noisy to enjoy the video. Ok, so I use the manual focus and have the focus peaking turned on, which is all well and good, HOWEVER, when the video starts recording I noticed yesterday that the focus peaking turns off, and should I have to focus on another subject in the video, I don't know if it's in focus or not, and it's hard to tell by just my eyes if my subject is in focus. Is there a trick or technique that I'm missing to manually focusing while the video is recording? It would be so awesome if the focus peaking would stay on throughout the entire recording of the video, but from what I can see it does not.

08-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right, focus peaking is unfortunately not available while you're recording. You pretty much have to eyeball it if you plan to zoom/pan during recording, but when shooting at wide angles you could of course choose a small aperture for a wide DOF, which should keep things acceptably sharp. The distance scale on your lens may also help.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: