Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #16

Thanks, Kadajawi. As I said, for this example I just set it to the Natural profile. I've already created a custom profile with both sharpness and contrast way down. This might help a bit, although haven't gotten around to shooting anything yet.

As for the moire issue on this and other cameras... I admittedly haven't tried the cameras you mentioned, so perhaps I was quick to judge all APS-C cameras having the problem. One of my work cameras is in fact n a Canon T3i, which I use primarily for interviews, and while moire is still present it's definitely less an issue than on the k3. Of course I've installed Technicolor's Cinestyle color profile, so I'm sure that helps.

As for the audio... this example was purely about the video, but the in-camera mic is as far as I can tell on par with other DSLRs. I haven't yet plugged a mic in and tested how good/bad it sounds. I can tell you that the preamp on the T3i is garbage. You can boost the signal on the front end with mic/line driver, but you still can't monitor sound with headphones (something you can do on the k3). For me it's not worth risking screwing up an interview with potentially bad audio, therefore I record audio separately and sync it in post, which is really easy to do. If anyone has tested audio on the k3 with an external mic, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. This for me the k3 is first and foremost a photos camera so I don't plan on using it much for video, but it'd be good to know what others experienced.

Cheers.

12-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by centino67 Quote
If anyone has tested audio on the k3 with an external mic
I use a small sony mic and an azden fmx dslr 'in between' to feed the K3. I like how the audio can be monitored on the K3. This is what it sounds like..
Personally i think it is quite good.

I liked your video shots. What lens did you use on that?

OK... already know the answer on that.. :-)

Last edited by grispie; 12-27-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: edit
12-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by centino67 Quote
Chiming in on this. Upgraded last month from my kx to k3 and shot some video while on family vacation. You can watch it . The details:

-From what I remember, the camera was set to Natural picture profile. which was in fact a little too contrasty once I viewed the footage on my computer. Really should've shot with a more muted, customized setting, but I was able to adjust the contrast in my NLE. Also added a tiny bit of sharpening on some of the shots.
-Lens used was a Tamron 17-50, with a variable ND filter attached -- a must-have for any outdoor DSLR shooting.
-Used Gorillapod for the static shots. The handheld shots of my daughter could've been sharper, but trying to catch focus of a kid running around on the beach is, well, not easy.
-The slo-mo was shot at 60fps and conformed to 24 in FCPx. The 60fps is a great option, but unfortunately you can only do it in 720p mode, not 1080. All the rest of the shots where full HD.
-Like with any cropped sensor dslr, morié is an issue. Maybe I just need to fiddle with the settings more, but I'm not too hopeful it'd be much better.
I like the video at the beach. It looked really good quality for any casual usage.
01-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
I use a small sony mic and an azden fmx dslr 'in between' to feed the K3.
Thanks, grispie. So basically the pres on the k3 are nothing to write home about. No surprise there. At least there's a headphone jack.

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
I like the video at the beach. It looked really good quality for any casual usage.
Ty