Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

Video with the K3

Did somebody already tried some "professional" video with the K3 with color correction etc. because i can't really find such videos on youtube?
If you did so, what settings and lens did you use and would you sent me that video, so i can get a better idea of the possibilities of the K3 video function.
I would also be glad to see some normal ooc footage in uncompressed quality, so if somebody could upload a short video file, so i could try some after effects on it that would be perfect

10-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hZti Quote
I would also be glad to see some normal ooc footage in uncompressed quality, so if somebody could upload a short video file, so i could try some after effects on it that would be perfect
Uncompressed video from Pentax cameras isn't possible.
It's always compressed and low bitrate. K-3 uses H.264 in a .mov container.
Pentax video doesn't grade too well in post as it falls apart quite easily.

Here's one ooc clip from a member - though it's very underexposed.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/238987-pentax-k-3-video-di...ml#post2576841

And a grading test
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/238987-pentax-k-3-video-di...ml#post2577317

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-11-2014 at 01:01 PM.
10-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
I mean not more compressed by youtube or post processing. I just want a ooc video file for some tests.
10-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

See my edits

---------- Post added 10-12-14 at 06:07 AM ----------

Here's a better OOC Video clip
http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_k3/sample_images/pentax_k3_01.mov

Also, look up PF member 'Stagnant'. He has some K-3 clips.

10-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know if this is considered professional but I have been payed for these video's (combined with photo's and some writing) by a magazine that collaborated with a tourism organization aimed at providing people with ships with a place to stay outside the harbor. Because of the very low budget, time constraints and very limited opportunities to grab good shots I also used photo's and time-lapse sections to 'upgrade' the video to something acceptable. Although I see quite a lot of stuff that could have been done better the client was very satisfied with the result. Because it isn't in English I'll explain what the video's are about. I was taking 4 poets and writers to specific location they had to write about. In one of the video's the poet is using my pack raft. In two of them I have somebody to steer the boat and in one I didn't have that luxury...
1. Marboei - Projecten. (Scroll down for the video)
2. Marboei - Projecten. (Scroll down for the video)
3. Marboei - Projecten
4. Marboei - Projecten

At work I use a Sony HD camcorder and work with Avid. And I have a video editor the iron out the kinks and enhance the product. This was made with iMovie. I further used a handheld recorder for the sound&interviews, the DA*16-50 and some ND filters to get the right shutter speed (not to fast!) In two of the four video's those ND filters hadn't arrived yet from the store. The whole thing was done on very short notice. I filmed as much as I could from a tripod and ironed out the vibrations from the ships engines with iMovie which did a great job! But I ended up using also quite a bit of handheld material that I shot with the shake reduction off. Oh, and one time-lapse section was done with the DA*300.

I hope this helps somewhat in your quest for information about the video function of the K-3. I've shot some short stuff (30 sec.) for tv-news with the K-3. The video editors loved it but I stopped doing that after one remark from a somebody in charge that my material was distinctly different from al other short news clips on the show and those other clips were shot wit either the Sony cam I mentioned ore a larger ENG-camera. Add some archived material with also a different look to the mix and my K-3 material was considered one camera to much... They were satisfied with the quality though. Since then we started experimenting with iPhones for our news program. And we do use DSLR material (mostly cheap Canon's) from third party correspondents filming accidents and fires.

(I don't have a place to host the video's I have on my computer that are of a somewhat better quality.)

Last edited by Fries; 10-12-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Repaired a not working link.
10-12-2014, 03:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your post, it really helps me and i think i'll buy a K3 now because weather sealing is very important for me and the video quality is also good enough for such a camera.
Great videos btw, even if i don't understand what they say
10-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for your post, it really helps me and i think i'll buy a K3 now because weather sealing is very important for me and the video quality is also good enough for such a camera.
Good to hear you found the material useful and thanks for the compliment! One cautionary remark; don't judge the quality of the K-3 video by the time-lapse stuf. That consists of lots of high resolution photo's combined in a video. You can even go beyond 4k that way! I mention this although you probably now this. And I don't want to confuse anybody else about the quality of the video.

10-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yes i know that time-lapse isn't "real" video, but i still think that the video quality is good for that kind of camera.
10-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Why would you do that? The Samsung NX1 has weather sealing too, it is similarly-ish priced, has vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastly superior video (4K, much better encoder, it reads the whole sensor instead of only parts of it (leading to poor low light performance, poor dynamic range, plenty of moire and aliasing) and quite possibly better stills too.

Heck, if you want decent video, and it has to be a Pentax, get a K-5. The only drawback is lack of manual controls, but you can fix the exposure anyway and have control over the aperture. In every other video aspect it's better than the K-3.

The first of fries' videos... looks quite ok, but look at the guy's glasses. That's massive aliasing. Massive.
11-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #10

This is NOT my video. This is the one I found most impressive video (I liked that beauty of nature one as well) done with Pentax K3 on Youtube. See for yourself.

11-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well I can't say I'm quite as impressed. There's nothing there which makes me think the K-3 is any better than the K-01 or K-50. Video footage of subjects in immediate foregrounds and up close look OK with any VDSLR.
It's when you start shooting scenery, architecture, panoramas etc that Pentax's weaknesses show up (Aliasing/Moire/smear-a-vision).
12-18-2014, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
here's nothing there which makes me think the K-3 is any better than the K-01 or K-50
I agree, I wouldnt be able to detract that from the video.
But to be honest, as an owner of the K01 & the K3, i really feel the K3 is miles ahead of the K01.
12-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #13

Chiming in on this. Upgraded last month from my kx to k3 and shot some video while on family vacation. You can watch it . The details:

-From what I remember, the camera was set to Natural picture profile. which was in fact a little too contrasty once I viewed the footage on my computer. Really should've shot with a more muted, customized setting, but I was able to adjust the contrast in my NLE. Also added a tiny bit of sharpening on some of the shots.
-Lens used was a Tamron 17-50, with a variable ND filter attached -- a must-have for any outdoor DSLR shooting.
-Used Gorillapod for the static shots. The handheld shots of my daughter could've been sharper, but trying to catch focus of a kid running around on the beach is, well, not easy.
-The slo-mo was shot at 60fps and conformed to 24 in FCPx. The 60fps is a great option, but unfortunately you can only do it in 720p mode, not 1080. All the rest of the shots where full HD.
-Like with any cropped sensor dslr, morié is an issue. Maybe I just need to fiddle with the settings more, but I'm not too hopeful it'd be much better.
12-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

No audio?
12-27-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by centino67 Quote
Chiming in on this. Upgraded last month from my kx to k3 and shot some video while on family vacation. You can watch it . The details:

-From what I remember, the camera was set to Natural picture profile. which was in fact a little too contrasty once I viewed the footage on my computer. Really should've shot with a more muted, customized setting, but I was able to adjust the contrast in my NLE. Also added a tiny bit of sharpening on some of the shots.
-Lens used was a Tamron 17-50, with a variable ND filter attached -- a must-have for any outdoor DSLR shooting.
-Used Gorillapod for the static shots. The handheld shots of my daughter could've been sharper, but trying to catch focus of a kid running around on the beach is, well, not easy.
-The slo-mo was shot at 60fps and conformed to 24 in FCPx. The 60fps is a great option, but unfortunately you can only do it in 720p mode, not 1080. All the rest of the shots where full HD.
-Like with any cropped sensor dslr, morié is an issue. Maybe I just need to fiddle with the settings more, but I'm not too hopeful it'd be much better.
For your moiré issue... you can try to reduce the sharpness as much as you can. That might smoothen things out a bit.

Not every APS-C camera has problems with that btw., the D5300 doesn't, and the NX1 at 4K doesn't either.

The footage looks good, quite natural. Moiré isn't too bad, at least I didn't notice it. It is way worse on my K-5.