Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The OVF then really is one big fat light-leak... Another point for the mirrorless cameras...

There are other points for light leaks that seem to be more common with mirrorless cameras. Google "light leak Sony A7".

Steve

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 03:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Last night I kept thinking about the LX.
The LX does support OTF metering, but the system is actually sort of a hybrid in practice.

Pentax LX - How does its metering works

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/metering/exposure.htm (part II)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-17-2014 at 03:15 PM.
10-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are other points for light leaks that seem to be more common with mirrorless cameras. Google "light leak Sony A7".

Steve
Can't find anything on it, apart from the cases caused by using by using non-sony adapters to use non-sony lenses. Not really comparable.
10-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Can't find anything on it, apart from the cases caused by using by using non-sony adapters to use non-sony lenses. Not really comparable.
How about this? Happened even when taken with a proper Sony FE lens...

The Sky is Falling and the Light is Leaking: The A7r Anti-Massacree

Or this?

Sony Admits the A7 and A7r Have a Light Leak Problem, Here's a Temporary Fix
10-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't find anything on it
Pity! The first 20 or so I saw were with native mount lenses. I even found several threads (with illustrations) showing how to fix using tape or hair ties.

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
How about this? Happened even when taken with a proper Sony FE lens...
It is my understanding that Sony is treating this as a warranty issue.

To be fair, the potential for light leaks at the lens mount extends to cameras other than the A7 series Sony.

Steve

10-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
From you link:
QuoteQuote:
If you shoot a 30 second exposure at ISO 25,000 into the sun or with a studio strobe aimed at the camera, you get a light leak.
Yeah, better apply the tape-fix or hairband-fix quickly!

Apply the above procedure with any DSLR with the viewfinder cover attached and you will see a real light leak. At those settings it will come through the dark plastic. Giving it a purplish hue. But why would you ever do anything remotely like this?
10-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

From you link:
And if you keep reading, they re-created the problem at ISO 25,600 but with a 6 seconds exposure... Not something that anyone would really do... but if you drop the ISO and increase the shutter speed to something roughly equivalent, like ISO 1600, 1 minute exposure this is more like a real life setting, for normal daylight long exposure with an ND filter... with tons of daylight to enter the camera from the not quite light proof mount. Even for night / sky photography with 5-10 minutes exposure at ISO 1600+ it could become an issue.

The A7 had a problem, Sony admitted it... It was not a deal breaker for many, it was not present with every camera and it is a non issue for most people but as you mentioned, mirrorless shouldn't have problems with light leaks. But it got blown out of proportion on certain forums, just like the K3's mirror flop was here, when I was looking at getting an A7 when it came out, that's all I could find about it... so sad.

I don't think DSLR are any better. But I could replicate their test all day with any of my cameras without ever seeing a leak coming from the mount, regardless, I almost always have a hairband around the mount (albeit mostly to try to keep dust out on non-WR lenses).

For the viewfinder it's a different story for sure... The supplied cover never made it onto my cameras, I prefer duct tape. And if light still leaks, I follow the simple rule "If duct tape didn't fix it, you didn't put enough duck tape"