Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Haha. Well, it is frustrating.

The new cameras do have SR in LV, so... it seems to work, right?

Of course Pentax doesn't owe us anything, they didn't promise it. Until they fix it though I, and hopefully others will not buy Pentax gear. And if I need to buy a new camera, I will sure as hell not buy a Pentax.

11-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I think if someone is serious or wants to up his/her game about shooting video, there are better avenues than Pentax even if they had SR enabled...How about continuous focus while shooting video?

I can't tell someone who is looking for a great stills camera not to buy Pentax.

The problem/challenge for "us" older/more involved Pentax users is about maximizing our current cameras and glass. In that regards, hoping for better is human and justified.
11-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I think if someone is serious or wants to up his/her game about shooting video, there are better avenues than Pentax even if they had SR enabled...How about continuous focus while shooting video?

I can't tell someone who is looking for a great stills camera not to buy Pentax.

The problem/challenge for "us" older/more involved Pentax users is about maximizing our current cameras and glass. In that regards, hoping for better is human and justified.
People who are serious about video focus manually... Professional large sensor video cameras don't have AF (apart from the entry level Canon's I believe). AF is a consumer thing. Of course, if you're at that level you're probably shooting with some rig, SR is I think more appealing to documentary style shooting, journalism, events perhaps, ... wherever travelling light is important. AF wouldn't hurt I suppose... but I'll take proper focus peaking over AF any day.
11-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

So what if they are working on improving focus peaking instead of mec SR? ;-)

Now just pulling your teeth, really!

11-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
So what if they are working on improving focus peaking instead of mec SR? ;-)

Now just pulling your teeth, really!
I would not be surprised if the CPU in the K-3 just can't do focus peaking while recording. The next gen CPU will fix that.

I haven't seen any problems with SR, no side effects. The sensor gets hot, but it would without too.
11-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Agreed on the CPU part.

When mentioning overheating, I was thinking about heat generated by the coils of the SR system. Maybe it's just too much heat that can't be dissipated and therefore putting other components includinbg the sensor at risk. They perhaps beefed up the coils to be able to operate the anti alias emulator properly?
11-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
In what sense is it convenient to have the button pressed all the time? Even if it's only a half press. Your finger is locked into position, using the camera controls while shooting might be impaired, depending on what you want to do. You might accidentally let go, which might end up looking weird in the video. You might not assume other positions for your right hand which may be more comfortable, depending on the lens. When I'm shooting at a loud place (where an external microphone would probably draw too much attention anyway) I need to hold the right hand over the microphone in order to shield it a bit... that way the microphone doesn't hit it's limit nearly as much. The left hand carries the camera and focuses with the finger tips. Not possible if I need to press the shutter all the time.
Now you're just finding fault [ranting] and being super negative because you can. Almost everything you wrote are 'what ifs'. Why not see the positives? There's plenty.
So, It's how it works, write to SIGMA if you don't like it, it's their tech - not Pentax's.
At the end of the day IT'S A CHOICE. Don't like the idea yourself? Fine. Don't buy an OS lens, but don't rubbish me and my comments because I have one and actually finding it super useful, alright!?

(unsubscribed)

11-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Now you're just finding fault [ranting] and being super negative because you can. Almost everything you wrote are 'what ifs'. Why not see the positives? There's plenty.
So, It's how it works, write to SIGMA if you don't like it, it's their tech - not Pentax's.
At the end of the day IT'S A CHOICE. Don't like the idea yourself? Fine. Don't buy an OS lens, but don't rubbish me and my comments because I have one and actually finding it super useful, alright!?

(unsubscribed)
Steve, I didn't mean to offend you. I just meant to say that while it works it's not optimal. I'd like to know what the advantage to having to half press the button is... seems more like an oversight from Pentax to me, i.e. it could be possible to send the signal/power to the lens to do the stabilization during video, but they don't, because... they don't care?

Anyway, obviously this is better than no OS, but IBIS is better again.
11-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

but IBIS is better again.
Please enlighten me? So far I've been more satisfied with lens OS than IBIS when shooting stills. What about video? Is it the opposite?

Thanks,
11-21-2014, 03:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Steve, I didn't mean to offend you. I just meant to say that while it works it's not optimal. I'd like to know what the advantage to having to half press the button is... seems more like an oversight from Pentax to me, i.e. it could be possible to send the signal/power to the lens to do the stabilization during video, but they don't, because... they don't care?
It has nothing to do with Pentax, it's how the Lens works, it has an OS On/Off switch on the lens. The half press allows you to activate it from the camera at will. It's convenient.
I never once said there was an advantage to having to half press the button. Where are you getting your arguments from??
I'm fine with you hating it - just be fine with me enjoying it.. But I'd love to hear your comments after using one for a couple weeks..
Anyway, obviously this is better than no OS, but IBIS is better again.
Actually, lens OS is surprisingly good.
I've always liked lens OS in my Panny camcorder, the Sigma lens is even better.
11-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't doubt that the stabilisation is good... IIRC another forum member likes his stabilised lens too.

I don't have stabilised lenses (that's why I have a Pentax...), so I can't try it. What you are saying is while the shutter is half pressed the SR is on, when you let go it turns off? It would work in most situations, but it's not optimal. I think the camera is sending the lens a signal when the shutter is half pressed... Pentax could just send that signal all the time while shooting video.

@mamethot: Theoretically there is the advantage that the sensor can rotate too, which no lens can do. However it seems like it is not done in the K-5. Apart from that the SR of course works with all lenses, and you don't have to press something to activate it. It works pretty well IMHO, I don't see much benefit to IBIS in stills (then again since I focus via AF button and then just pull the trigger, without holding the shutter half pressed for a moment, maybe it is my fault), but during video it makes a massive difference.
11-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't have stabilised lenses (that's why I have a Pentax...), so I can't try it. What you are saying is while the shutter is half pressed the SR is on, when you let go it turns off? It would work in most situations, but it's not optimal. I think the camera is sending the lens a signal when the shutter is half pressed... Pentax could just send that signal all the time while shooting video.
I prefer Pentax, of course. I use IBIS for stills. I bought the Sigma OS lens because Pentax use crap Movie SR for video. This is what it is all about here (in the video section).
Pentax don't program their cameras for Sigma lenses. The lens is dual purposing the AF 'signal'. ½ press to focus, full press to start recording, ½ press and hold if you want OS while hand holding. There's no need to be fiddling with the camera controls while recording, you should have set the camera before starting the recording and will do so again before the next clip recording.

Anyway, I think this topic is exhausted.
11-21-2014, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Anyway, I think this topic is exhausted.
No, this topic is quite funny reading it :-)
To be honest, I wouldn't mind having to halfpress the shutter when shooting handheld.
But i'd want it with my FA31....
11-21-2014, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

I prefer Pentax, of course. I use IBIS for stills.
I should say, when I need SR for stills, I use Pentax IBIS, but 90+% of the time I don't use SR at all for stills.
The 17-70mm range of the SIGMA lens is just right for video and the OS is perfect for hand held recording.

That's really all there is to say.
11-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The sigma 70-200 in lens os seems more reliable than ibis. On my k-3 ibis if off 95% of the time.