Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #1

OS lens for video

Does Sigma OS, in lens stabilization, work for K-3 video?

11-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sure does, just make sure to turn off the "in body" stabilization.
11-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

it works until you actually start shooting. Meaning it'll work in live view when you half press the shutter, then will stop working when you actually begin recording.
11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Sure does, just make sure to turn off the "in body" stabilization.
IBIS isn't engaged (active) for Video mode

I have a Sigma OS lens I use on the K-50 and the K-01. It works perfectly fine. For video, it's a perfect solution to the crappy Movie SR that PENTAX now use.

@mamethot: You have to keep the shutter button half depressed while recording. As far as I know this is normal. My friend's Nikon VR lenses work the same way for video.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 11-18-2014 at 03:37 PM.
11-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I will give this a shot, thanks.
11-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
which one sigma lens have OS for Pentax if somebody knows?
11-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The ones I know for sure:

70-200 2.8 and 150-500

Last edited by mamethot; 11-19-2014 at 10:52 AM.
11-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, 150-500 has two types of VR.
11-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
which one sigma lens have OS for Pentax if somebody knows?
I use the SIGMA 17-70 DC MACRO HSM OS original version.
17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | Sigma Corporation of America
11-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
IBIS isn't engaged (active) for Video mode

I have a Sigma OS lens I use on the K-50 and the K-01. It works perfectly fine. For video, it's a perfect solution to the crappy Movie SR that PENTAX now use.

@mamethot: You have to keep the shutter button half depressed while recording. As far as I know this is normal. My friend's Nikon VR lenses work the same way for video.
You are kidding me, are you? You have to press the shutter button WHILE RECORDING A VIDEO? Besides being very limited in terms of lenses... What the hell. I'm so glad I have a K-5. Soooo soooo glad.
11-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
You are kidding me, are you? You have to press the shutter button WHILE RECORDING A VIDEO? Besides being very limited in terms of lenses... What the hell. I'm so glad I have a K-5. Soooo soooo glad.
It's not as bad as it sounds. It's quite convenient actually. Don't be so negative and dismissive. And how many damn lenses do you *need* (operative word there)
It works brilliantly AAMOF. And remember, it's only a half press, okay?
11-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah is it all that bad? I don't understand it when people have such negative reaction, after all we jusr discovered we're halfway there!
11-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 50-500 has OS for Pentax as well.
11-20-2014, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It's not as bad as it sounds. It's quite convenient actually. Don't be so negative and dismissive. And how many damn lenses do you *need* (operative word there)
It works brilliantly AAMOF. And remember, it's only a half press, okay?
In what sense is it convenient to have the button pressed all the time? Even if it's only a half press. Your finger is locked into position, using the camera controls while shooting might be impaired, depending on what you want to do. You might accidentally let go, which might end up looking weird in the video. You might not assume other positions for your right hand which may be more comfortable, depending on the lens. When I'm shooting at a loud place (where an external microphone would probably draw too much attention anyway) I need to hold the right hand over the microphone in order to shield it a bit... that way the microphone doesn't hit it's limit nearly as much. The left hand carries the camera and focuses with the finger tips. Not possible if I need to press the shutter all the time.

I don't see any advantage to this, shouldn't it be possible for Pentax to send the "keep SR on" signal to the lens when shooting video?

@mamethot: The K-7, K-5, and probably K-x, K-m (?) were fully there already. They had arrived, they had a system that worked really well, and that, in hardware, still exists in the camera. If I were using a Nikon or Canon, which doesn't have the technical capabilities anyway, I wouldn't be nearly as negative about this. The problem is though that Pentax has _everything_ that is needed for great stabilization in camera, with every lens. The hardware, the software. They just don't activate it anymore, because reasons. That's like buying a car, and finding out that the manufacturer has left away a way to access the boot. It is there, there's plenty of space, and even the mechanism to open the boot exists. They have just disconnected it. And as reason they say "someone might be kidnapped and locked in the boot, and we want to avoid that." While that might theoretically happen, it is probably not a big problem, and clearly nowhere big enough to warrant such drastic measures and a loss of usability. If the car is a sports car, and simply doesn't have a boot, that is a different thing. I wouldn't complain about a sports car not having a boot (when there isn't space for one in the first place), but on a car that does have the space not giving access to it is ridiculous.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-20-2014 at 05:41 AM.
11-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
@mamethot: The K-7, K-5, and probably K-x, K-m (?) were fully there already. They had arrived, they had a system that worked really well, and that, in hardware, still exists in the camera. If I were using a Nikon or Canon, which doesn't have the technical capabilities anyway, I wouldn't be nearly as negative about this. The problem is though that Pentax has _everything_ that is needed for great stabilization in camera, with every lens. The hardware, the software. They just don't activate it anymore, because reasons. That's like buying a car, and finding out that the manufacturer has left away a way to access the boot. It is there, there's plenty of space, and even the mechanism to open the boot exists. They have just disconnected it. And as reason they say "someone might be kidnapped and locked in the boot, and we want to avoid that." While that might theoretically happen, it is probably not a big problem, and clearly nowhere big enough to warrant such drastic measures and a loss of usability. If the car is a sports car, and simply doesn't have a boot, that is a different thing. I wouldn't complain about a sports car not having a boot (when there isn't space for one in the first place), but on a car that does have the space not giving access to it is ridiculous.
We all know that, you've made quite sure that we do! ;-)

This horse was beaten to death on other threads!

To say the truth, I am happy to see people (you included) not giving up on wanting to improve the camera or to find workarounds (like the OP and other contributors of this thread). I am thankful for that.

And frankly it is a bit of a simplistic approach to the problem to say that the K-7 did it before and so the recipee can be easily applied to the K-3. I don't know about that. Maybe there are some items on a priority list that are being fixed before fixing/implementing SR in video. Maybe there are hardware reasons. The fact is that I humbly don't know.

I will be thankful if they change anything about mechanical video SR in the K-3. But it was never advertised nor promised by Pentax and as such, we can't really hold them guilty of anything.