Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #1

Takapuna Beach, Takumar 50mm 1.4 with Anamorphic

Did this test with my set up the other day. Summer is coming here to NZ!
Isco Ultra Star anamorphic lens coupled with Pentax Takumar 50mm f1.4 on canon 60D body
Any comments welcome~!

12-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
very nice slice of life - you caught some nice moments. when is a good month to visit NZ to avoid most of the tourist season but still have the warm weather? March?
12-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. We get tourists here all the time 365 days a year so you can't really avoid them lol.
But you do want to avoid the holiday season which is mid Dec ~ mid Jan when all Kiwis go on holidays so beaches and camping sites are full at this time.
The official NZ summer starts around early Dec but weather is best in Late January to mid February normally. But having said that, we get 108 different weathers all in one day as well.
12-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwijip Quote
Any comments welcome~!
I'm confused, this video was shot using a Canon 60D ?

12-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I'm confused, this video was shot using a Canon 60D ?
Confused because it does more than 1080p right? Magic of Anamorphic lenses man. My lens has about 1.9x squeeze so in post I end up with
3648x1080, instead of normal 1920x1080. I would normally downscale this to about 1920x568 before uploading but in this case I just uploaded the big res version.
12-11-2014, 03:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Confused because this forum is about Video and Pentax HDSLRs - not lenses and video shot with Canon DLSRs.
I would have expected this thread to be in the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. forum?
Just my observation..
12-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Confused because this forum is about Video and Pentax HDSLRs - not lenses and video shot with Canon DLSRs.
I would have expected this thread to be in the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. forum?
Just my observation..
Oh I eat my words, I only put it here cuz I used the takumar 50mm for it and it was video. Didn't realise it was for pentax cameras only... lol

12-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice lens, shame about the body
How hard was it to get the Anamorphic unit set up?
And roughly how far did you stop down the lens?

I'm looking at sourcing one of the SLR Magic Anamorphot's for a couple of short films in the new year, one possibly being shot on my K-01 or the writer/directors 550D (which I'm trying to convince her to fit Magic Lantern to) and one that will be filmed using a Letus 35mm adapter in front of a HDV camcorder.

Any advice for shooting 2:35 ?
12-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Rex
Thank you for the comment. The anamorphic setup was easy to do.
The taking lens in this video was almost always f16, or similar. I didn't have a ND filter with me at the time.

For the setup, I Just needed a rail system to fit the lens because my isco is so damn big and heavy. It wasn't a good idea to fit a clamp straight onto the taking lens. I'm still in the process of figuring out how to go about using this set up because there are a couple of things that can be fiddly and the double focusing doesn't really help with the overall experience. I recommend using simple anamorphic filters for shots that absolutely need rack focusing, or quick focus changes.

Using 2.35:1, in my case even wider, is really simple. Not too much complication to your workflow really. You just need to do some tests and figure out what works best for you. Of course if would help your framing if you had a monitor that can desqueeze the image real time but IMO it doesn't reaaaallly matter lol. Only issue I had is warp stabilizer won't work once you have desqueezed the image, because the plug in only works when frame size and image size is the same. But there are ways to get around that as well.

I think using anamorphic adapter on a HDV camcoder is a great idea. Would definitely benefit from the zoom on the thing. Not sure about how it will match ur dslr footage though. Different feel to them. I would love to hear how this set up went, if you were to test it out!
12-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The squeezed viewfinder won't worry me - I used to shoot 16:9 on an XL-1, and that was always squeezed in the external screen.

I won't be using Warp Stabiliser - if we use the Letus adapter and the HDV camera, the rig including SLR Lenses, Anamorphic unit and Matte Box, works out to about 80cm long, so it'll be on the tripod, a, Lot!
Downside of that camera is no HDMI, but it does do Analog RGB HD, which I can capture to harddrive with a BMD intensity shuttle.
Yes, I know, a silly and strange rig, but we're looking to make sure the images don't look the same as what everybody else is shooting around here at the moment.
And excluding the Anamorphot, we own the rest of the gear already
12-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
Lol does Melbourne have a big video scene? I'm looking for a new environment to work in atm.

I use a PMW200 for work and I love it because of its mobility and picture quality. So I can understand why you want to use that set up.
Wonder if the auto focus would work with the anamorphic adapter on? Otherwise another lens to focus lol.
Another way would be to mount the anamorphot on a rail system and then put it straight through the HDV camera. Similar design to my setup.
Unless there is another benefit of using the letus adapter?
12-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lol does Melbourne have a big video scene? I'm looking for a new environment to work in atm.
Yes. Well, sort of. There's plenty of things happening, but like anywhere else, the full time paying gigs are scarce.
The TV stations have their regular staff, and get outside contractors like GlobalTV to provide staff and equipment for large events - like the football, cricket, golf, motorsport and tennis.
There are plenty of smaller production houses, most of their work is in advertising, and a lot of them support themselves with weddings and the like through separate storefronts.

If you're based here already,..
This time of year, things get quieter in the screenings events, but, Tomorrow (16/Dec) at 1000 Pound Bend on Lt Lonsdale st, just up from Elizabeth st, there's the premiere of a mates Bali doco, plus screening of two short films of his that I shot, and a music video he did in Bali.
The short films are, dark, subject matter.
( Ask anyone for 'PiD', they'll point at me. )

Then there's the Monday Movie Mungout ot Revolt Artspace in Kensington, every Monday, with tonights being the last for the year (it's 4pm Melbourne time as I type).

The last 'Westside Shorts' film night for the year was last Tuesday, but it's worth looking up.

Made In Melbourne film festival was on a couple of weeks ago, then there's also M.I.F.F. and M.U.F.F. - Melbourne International and Melbourne Underground film festivals.

Wonder if the auto focus would work with the anamorphic adapter on?
The HDV camera focuses through a diopter on to a cut glass unit inside the adapter. That cut glass is basically a screen that the SLR lens's image is projected on to.

Unless there is another benefit of using the letus adapter?
Just being able to use the SLR lenses.