Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mirrorless actually fit the niche really well. With their shorter mount distances they are able to mate to a huge variety of lens type via simple adaptors.
If you're ok with manual focus, then K mount lenses can be used on mirrorless very easily.
It would be great to be able to stick with Pentax for video though, given the investment in autofocus lenses.

06-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
In addition not only stabilized video in 4k in a better video codec, but also a full sensor readout for video. No line skipping dramatically improves quality.

Anyway, I doubt Ricoh Pentax will improve anything in video department, wish there was one more brand making K-mount cameras and they would have more love for video.

On the mean time, lets hope Pentax FF will bring something phenomenal for stills at least. And hoping for the best scenario, Pentax FF would be a Sony a7R mk2 in a Pentax DSLR body with Pentax touch for stills and Sony video features.
Full sensor readout is great... sometimes. It gives you great image quality, but when there is too much movement the whole picture will wobble around badly (though the stabilizer helps). Ideally you'd be able to select between full sensor readout and line skipping... line skipping for fast action scenes/Michael Bay/Paul Greengrass school of camera movement, where the jagged lines wouldn't be noticeable, but the wobbling would, and full sensor readout for when there is little motion.

Btw., it seems like without pixel binning refers to Super 35 mode... basically when you shoot Super 35 (more or less APS-C) the sensor is probably just the right resolution for every pixel on the sensor to match a pixel in the final 4K video.

I'm really impressed that the sensor is BSI... like the NX1, but FF. That's kind of amazing, considering that until half a year or so ago such sensors were only found in smartphones.
06-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
If you're ok with manual focus, then K mount lenses can be used on mirrorless very easily.
I concur wholeheartedly. My SMC glass looks pretty bloody awesome on an A7s.

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Full sensor readout is great... sometimes.
The A7s does an 'APS-c crop mode' for using non-full frame lenses, which has uses for matching the Super35 look, and is also what you get when you bump up to 100 or 120 frames in 720.
I imaging the A7r2 will do the same.
06-11-2015, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrorless actually fit the niche really well. With their shorter mount distances they are able to mate to a huge variety of lens type via simple adaptors.
It would be great to be able to stick with Pentax for video though, given the investment in autofocus lenses.

For video stuff I actually use only manual lenses so autofocus is not a problem, I am not using it anyway.

It would be better to keep my investments for Pentax, but already am looking into other systems since it appears I am getting more video projects, I prefer Pentax, I love their built quality and ergonomics and am sure that Ricoh Pentax would manage to make a perfect video camera too, but at the moment it is not their interest.

If they made a camera with good video features for the middle of this summer that would instantly get into my to buy list.

06-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
For video stuff I actually use only manual lenses so autofocus is not a problem, I am not using it anyway.

It would be better to keep my investments for Pentax, but already am looking into other systems since it appears I am getting more video projects, I prefer Pentax, I love their built quality and ergonomics and am sure that Ricoh Pentax would manage to make a perfect video camera too, but at the moment it is not their interest.

If they made a camera with good video features for the middle of this summer that would instantly get into my to buy list.

Fully agree.

I've seen some cool stuff with autofocus recently though that I thought was interesting. You can slow the ramp right down in video mode, and some examples I've seen look very manual focus ish in nature. Autofocus could be useful for shots like a bride walking down an aisle, or for use on a gimbal mount, where you can't actually touch the camera anymore, and you want a narrow depth of field look for your shot. So, it can have it's use.

The Pentax strengths to me are it's weather sealing, it's sensor stabilisation and it's common K-mount, which allows you years of compatible lenses, and even m42 screw lenses via cheap adaptors.
Today though, none of those features are unique to just Pentax anymore, and in the mirrorless world nearly every lens is compatible with cheap adaptors.
I'm starting to question the point of difference of Pentax now.
06-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #66

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fully agree.

I've seen some cool stuff with autofocus recently though that I thought was interesting. You can slow the ramp right down in video mode, and some examples I've seen look very manual focus ish in nature. Autofocus could be useful for shots like a bride walking down an aisle, or for use on a gimbal mount, where you can't actually touch the camera anymore, and you want a narrow depth of field look for your shot. So, it can have it's use.

The Pentax strengths to me are it's weather sealing, it's sensor stabilisation and it's common K-mount, which allows you years of compatible lenses, and even m42 screw lenses via cheap adaptors.
Today though, none of those features are unique to just Pentax anymore, and in the mirrorless world nearly every lens is compatible with cheap adaptors.
I'm starting to question the point of difference of Pentax now.

Indeed auto focus during 2014/2015 came a long way and now is pretty much useful, I actually would love to use a steady cam and trust camera to do focusing stuff assuming it is accurate technology.

But to my workflow, it is not mandatory feature yet.

Indeed weather sealing is one of the key points of Pentax, and twin dials on enthusiast models like k30.

I love snesor shift stabilization, would love even more if it was again enabled on Pentax cameras.

K-mount is something awesome, and I guess will be the main point of difference, if they won;t corrupt it by some updates making it not work with legacy lenses, then K-mount would be one of the best mounts ever created, I think it is nearly the only lens mount that can accept its lesnes since very beginning of the mount existence up to today innovative lenses for this mount. Actually the few things that made me pick Pentax were, Ergonomics, WR body, and K-mount, cause I knew that for starters i could just go with couple of sharper legacy lenses like old 50mm f1.8 etc till I earn to get something from the new limited lenses. Not to mention that those legacy leses for K mount are so cool for film making.

Luckily mirrorless systems have lots of options to use various lenses from almost any brand and mount you can find so if not Pentax camera, at least Pentax legacy lenses are usable for film making

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2015 at 13:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I concur wholeheartedly. My SMC glass looks pretty bloody awesome on an A7s.

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 05:18 PM ----------

The A7s does an 'APS-c crop mode' for using non-full frame lenses, which has uses for matching the Super35 look, and is also what you get when you bump up to 100 or 120 frames in 720.
I imaging the A7r2 will do the same.
if I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that a7r2 can do 120 fps in 1080p in APS-c crop mode.