Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Actually, in checking the manual I might be wrong about that after all (though I could've sworn!).
I think maybe it was the original Q they added FP to with firmware as there's no mention of it in the manual.
Yes, you are talking about the Q having focus peaking added via firmware. The K-01 had it from day 01

01-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Pretty sure he's talking about Sensor Shift stabilization for recorded video footage rather than now using MovieSR.
The cropping for video mode happens because the 16:9 ratio for 1080p and 720p from a 4:3 sensor (or have I misread your point?).
The cropping comes from the movie SR needing some space around the video frame to be able to do SR. Unfortunately it does also crop when you have it deactivated, at least on the models I have tried.

However when you are in live view mode the sensor actually moves around. Sensor shift stabilization is working (when you have SR for stills activated), and the image isn't cropped. The software for proper SR must be there, somewhere, it is just not enabled in video mode.
01-26-2015, 02:15 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Pentax is definitely not the company to go for if you are hoping for future functionality upgrades...
I do remember they had fixed the latest firmware of the K01 to have full manual exposure with M primes in video mode.
Before that, with m primes, the K01 always used Auto-ISO. Which drove me nuts...
It was not mentioned when releasing the firmware, but the fix was there.

---------- Post added 01-26-15 at 10:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
My pick would be Samsung. The NX1 packs plenty of video features (especially since the latest update, which amongst other features adds a log profile) and stellar quality in 4K.
I agree it looks as a very nice proposition. I do wonder on the hardware requirements it will make. I'm not really keen on investing in new hardware because of 4k or the codec. Maybe overworried here? i'd rather have a solid 2k camera with long battery life, full read out, xlr input, big sensor and taking my pentax primes. euhm, fs100... :-) despite its getting dated, images just look great to me.
01-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Just downscale the video to 2K ProRes or similar. You may be able to do that over night.

01-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't think it's that easy with the amount of processing. It has more data to compress... lower bitrates usually go faster on my computer, I suppose because it just throws out all the data up front, and has to compress less data in the end. The higher the quality setting/bitrate, the slower my computer encodes.
I'd say that's more an issue with your NLE / PC combo - I know mine sure works the other way - Exports to Canopus HQX (Equivalent to ProResHQ 444) that take seconds, take several minutes when compressing to h.264.
The less compression used, the less math is being crunched, and the faster the output happens, so long as your system can shift the data.

They added focus peaking to the K-01 in a firmware upgrade.
Focus Peaking before Recording was always and option.
What they changed was the auto-ISO ramping in 'M' under video - before the ISO would ramp up and down to compensate for the lack of light or extremes of available light, which was a right P.I.T.A. if you wanted to have a section of a shot dark, and especially is you wanted to keep a shot free of the high-ISO noise.
After the change, M meant M - ISO, Aperture and Speed were all locked down so they would not change without user input - which is how they always should have been.

If you want the ISO to behave as it did originally, use the P or Av settings under the Video Settings menu.

I also think there was some sort of dithering algorithm applied to the noise as well around same time. Not sure now if that was the 1.03 or 1.04 update.

And we're almost up to 12 months since the last K-01 / K-30 / K-500 / K-50 / K-5 / K-5II / K-5IIs K-7 / K-r firmware update on 2014.03.06,... which makes a mockery of the reported commitment to update the firmware every six months.
If we're lucky, the main four updates will be taken care of ( Focus Peaking during recording / Sensor Shift SR in Video / Clean Feed HDMI output during recording / Decent CoDec options ) in any future updates, but I'm expecting Shodan's efforts will be our only real hope.

If anyone from Pentax is reading this, I'd suggest those changes MUST be in ALL new models, I'd hope for firmware fixes for at least those changes in the K-01 and K-3, and if not, then Pentax-Ricoh should consider releasing unencrypted editions of the K-5, K-01 and K-3 firmware so the user base can get to work creating what the users want.
01-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
Sort of along the lines of the original poster, anybody shoot video with another body but use pentax lenses via adapter? I've been playing with video more the last year or so, but have been sorely disappointed with the output from my K7. (Which is not surprising considering how old it is)

I have been looking at updating the body, but have not been particularly impressed with the K3 from a video perspective. I have thought about picking up an m43 body but most of what I do is wide to normal, and available light at fast apertures. Which doesn't seem to be a strength of m43 despite the video quality, especially using APS-C or FF lenses via adapters.
01-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses are AFAIK used by Canon users etc.

I like my K-5 for video.

@Pidicus Rex: I was talking about h264 vs h264 with the same settings, just a different bitrate/CRF. Obviously other codecs may be much faster.

Firmware updates that add functionality are very rare from Pentax. I don't see it happening for the K-3. IF we are lucky they won't screw up their next cameras... That's the best case scenario.

Focus peaking during recording could very well be a technical issue. CPU too slow for example.

Clean HDMI could be a technical issue too.

But SR and codecs...

01-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Focus Peaking before Recording was always and option
I'd already corrected my erroneous comment, no need to correct me again - you don't need the points do you ?
01-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Yeah I've learnt my lesson from the K-30. If this new one coming out is not perfect on the points I want it to be then I'll go elsewhere. Given all the hardware was there on the K-30 to be great I had expected a firmware update to do more than just fix bugs in the initial offering, or allow me to buy new addons such as the 1.4 teleconverter.

Once again, so as to not sound negative, the new one may well suit others regardless, but for me I won't be buying another Pentax in the hope that they put right what is obviously wrong initially (movie SR for example). By all account Fuji and Samsung by the looks of it do look after their customers for a long time, releasing additional feature firmware updates and pushing these out to older models that can take them, much like apple really.
01-27-2015, 01:35 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Once again, so as to not sound negative, the new one may well suit others regardless, but for me I won't be buying another Pentax in the hope that they put right what is obviously wrong initially (movie SR for example)
As much as i like my K3, i have to agree if you are focused on video results. It's not so much about 'movie sr' since i consider ibis more of a thing for casual shooting but has more to do with the low bitrate & lack of detail that is sometimes a pain. I also wonder about other dslrs or mirrorless though. They all have their faults.

imo, when it comes to large sensor video, affordable options for pentax lens owners are limited to things like A7s, fs100, maybe A6000 replacer.. and maybe Nikons recent dslrs(?), that unfortunately don't take pentax lenses without extra glass in between, and maybe samsung nx1, takes pentax lenses..

For some reason I am not convinced on the GH series (mainly due to Anters comment above) nor canon (i'll be honest, i am biased here :-) & i hate canon ergonomics.
01-27-2015, 03:28 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
imo, when it comes to large sensor video, affordable options for pentax lens owners are limited to things like A7s, fs100, maybe A6000 replacer.. and maybe Nikons recent dslrs(?), that unfortunately don't take pentax lenses without extra glass in between, and maybe samsung nx1, takes pentax lenses.

mirrorless tends to take other lenses with adapters with no glass elements, as it's solely about creating the original spacing distance again.

Agree, A7000 hopefully will have ibis like the a7-ii now does.

Large sensor is great for low light, but it's somewhat lost if it's a huge megapixel also. Given video is 2MP or 4MP then what's killing it is trying to take high MP still sensors and essentially throw the info away to scale it down for video.
A7s has bucked the trend on this, and it would be cool to see an APS-C cheaper option do the same.

---------- Post added 01-27-15 at 11:50 PM ----------

Also worth mentioning that whilst you can use other brand legacy glass in mirrorless , you are usually talking manual focus only.

Even some system specific autofocus capable lenses from other manufactures don't enable all the focusing aids on some mirrorless bodies.

So to summarise, yeah I gope pentax get it right with this new body as I'm very definitely a potential buyer. Given how they're left the k-30 I won't be buying If it doesn't fit my requirements exactly right out of the box.

One look at the new nx-1 firmware from Samsung reminds me that significant useful updates can be done!
01-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

you don't need the points do you ?
Probably,.... but in this case, it's called replying while tired from a film shoot and not seeing all the replies.
01-27-2015, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Sorry Stewart, my sense of humour didn't really transport well there.. :|
01-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Quality wise it seems Nikon is doing a good job with the D5300, D750 and D810. Little to no moire, full sensor readout, and a h264 encoder that is actually usable (unlike what Pentax is doing, though I think the next Pentax will, thanks to a newer Milbeaut, be on the same level as Nikon).
I was hoping someone would pick up on the Nikon line? I have shot with a D800 like two years ago and was impressed by it. Especially because the footage got mixed with my K01 and it was sooo easy to distinguish it. and not in a good way :-)
especially the D750 seems a good allround option. unfortunately you'can't put m lenses on it...
01-30-2015, 05:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The thing with Nikon is that they essentially use very similar hardware as Pentax... just, at this moment, a newer generation. That should hopefully change with the next Pentax, and if Pentax doesn't mess up we should see some pretty good quality there. Switching to Nikon doesn't make too much sense, IMHO. Well, hopefully.