Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 03:21 AM   #1

editing program for combining 2 videos wanted

I am looking for a editing program in which at least 2 videos can be used simultaneously. E.g. one on the left side of the resulting video while the other one is running on the right. If the videos can be composed so that one overlies the other with a set transparency or blending mode, it would be even better.
Which editing program can you recommend for this task? Prefereably in the consumer price range (<200).

02-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used an older version of Sony Vegas to do this, although it isn't the easiest thing to do. You can download a trial version which offers full function for 30 days if you wish to try it out.
02-06-2015, 04:31 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which is affordable and does at least 90% of what the full version of Vegas does.

Or Corel make Video Studio for which I also have a license but don't use as much - I prefer the Sony interface.

I haven't tried what you describe with the Corel product but the Sony product could certainly do it.
02-06-2015, 04:37 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I definitely recommend Sony Vegas.

02-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!
I used an older Sony Vegas (10) some years ago but unfortunately lost the key. Never played with any advanced effects back then.
So I am going to get the Trial version, which could be enough for my little project. After that I will know if it is worth buying (again).
02-09-2015, 04:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What you're describing is called Split-Screen editing - all decent NLE's can do it - some have a function (called a Layouter in Edius, which I use) that allows you to shrink, zoom, spin, tilt, etc the original video in a window, which is then how that video is presented in the main window and on the timeline.

Look from about the 2:30 mark on this one for an example -
02-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, thats one feature I had in mind. Already started working with Sony Movie Studio. I want to create several short videos which compare simulated movements of robots. Thus I decided to overlay them by using the multiply mask in compositing mode. As my videos were created with white background this already did the trick. After that I changed Saturation and Gamma of one video so that it looks like a ghost. I attached the final version again, but this time I added a zoom motion into a detail. Quite satisfied with the results, but sadly I may not share the results.

Took me a while to find my way around in all the Video FX modules, but once I knew where to look the most important functions are easy to use. Custom presets everywhere are also nice. What makes me mad is, that they dropped the "Render as..." function. To use my rendering preset I have to go through an annoying wizard, which is focussed on direct exports to YouTube, Facebook and DVD...

02-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sounds like you're on to it then,.... And that sounds like a very interesting project - description reminds me of some of the DARPA videos showing new types of prosthetic limbs for returned servicemen and women.