Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

No, Tom is mistaken again. There has not been a return to mechanical SR for video recording.

Awwww, Nuts.

04-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

But can you use zoom lenses, fisheye lenses, primes and other faster lenses to get razor thin DoF on your phone? Or are you wanting everything in focus to infinity and beyond?

---------- Post added 04-27-15 at 05:54 AM ----------

No, Tom is mistaken again. There has not been a return to mechanical SR for video recording.
That's not the point...the phone records in 4k 54mbps, and it looks amazing. The K-3 records an awful looking 1080p...filling my TV with a K-3 video makes me cringe, while the 4K recording looks pristine. I'm not talking about the lenses or the system, obviously...
04-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
That's not the point...
But it was my point.

You're after a pristine everything-in-sharp-focus video image.
DSLRs don't do that.
But what DSLRs can do for video, your phone can't.
04-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I don't think you understand what i mean by sharp video...Pentax DSLRs cant make sharp videos at all, i'm not talking about deep depth-of-field videos, not sure where you got that from...
And if you did understand what i meant, then you're wrong...DSLRs can easily do that, just not Pentax DSLRs...

04-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
DSLRs can easily do that, just not Pentax DSLRs...
it's all about compromise for me. yes, there is better on the market for large sensor video (lets compare apples to apples here at least..), but what do you do when you have a stack of pentax lenses & love the pentax for photography..?
for what its worth, i prefer the K3 over a canon 650 or alike. they don't do much better in the iq department for me. you'd have to go to sony a7s or alike for that. A different breed of dslrs & that decision would cost you.

If the footage is not that sharp, then make the difference in the video skills. Just watch that spanish music video in black & white. looks good to me..
04-28-2015, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I'm not really that into video, and yes, i do think Pentax makes up for it in the still images department, but still, objectively speaking, Pentax lags behind by a fair amount when it comes to video. That's all i'm saying...
04-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

And all I'm saying is that you can't do with a smartphone what you can with a DSLR for video.
I agree, Pentax need to up their game as far as video IQ, flexibility and manual control goes, but comparing a smartphone to a DLSR is just wrong to me.

04-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And all I'm saying is that you can't do with a smartphone what you can with a DSLR for video.
...and you can't do with a dSLR what you can do with a REAL video camera.

Steve
04-28-2015, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

What an immature thing to post...
04-29-2015, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Ahhh, I think what Gabriel is referring to with the 'sharp' reference, is the high contrast vision you get from current phone sensors.

That is a function of the image profile settings used, and I think you probably could get that out of a DSLR, but the majority of cinematographic minded users tend to turn down the sharpening and contrast in the camera when we want more latitude in post-production.

Those same super sharp images may look fine on a home TV, tablet or laptop, but on a larger screen, such as lit by a projector, the high contrast images of phones are,... rather unpleasant to the eye - Highly crushed highlights and shadows.

One would also need to know, are we talking about a HD tv, or a 4K tv - The higher resolution you source the media in, the better it looks on lower resolution screens, so 4K on HD will look sharper, or even just more in focus, then HD on HD.
And HD video looks soft on 4K screens.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
for what its worth, i prefer the K3 over a canon 650 or alike. they don't do much better in the iq department for me. you'd have to go to sony a7s or alike for that.
Canon's really need ML to make the best of them,... and one still turns the sharpening down for the best results in Post.

A7s footage with Pentax SMC glass is phenomenally good btw, but even it falls apart when pushed too far in post.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and you can't do with a dSLR what you can do with a REAL video camera.
And throwing the cat in to the pigeons,... Wonder how many of the 'buy a video camera' crowd realise that ALL 'D'SLR's and MILCs are based on 'Video' camera sensor technology, not the other way around.

Stills cameras use large size CCD and CMOS sensors from Video Cameras.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-29-2015 at 03:49 AM.
04-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Ahhh, I think what Gabriel is referring to with the 'sharp' reference, is the high contrast vision you get from current phone sensors.

That is a function of the image profile settings used, and I think you probably could get that out of a DSLR, but the majority of cinematographic minded users tend to turn down the sharpening and contrast in the camera when we want more latitude in post-production.
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Stills cameras use large size CCD and CMOS sensors from Video Cameras.
thank you for putting things in perspective...
Hope all pigeons are aligned now ;-)
04-30-2015, 01:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Tom's done a runner....
05-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Guts of it seem to be that the K-3 ii is a slight revamp of the original, offering GPS instead of flash and improved SR, but for still only.

Am over complaining about this, but what we are asking for here video wise is a software only change, meaning it could be delivered next week easily if Pentax were interested.

Am seriously considering keeping my K-30 for stills and switching to an Olympus OMD EM5 ii for video, basically because it offers what I think Pentax should with similar hardware.
05-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Am seriously considering keeping my K-30 for stills and switching to an Olympus OMD EM5 ii for video, basically because it offers what I think Pentax should with similar hardware.
Yeh, the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II looks good but man I can't afford close on $2k to jump ship for better video.
But what if Pentax after buying an Oly' they then release a new DSLR later that does what Olympus has done which is to really ramp up their video features to grab the enthusiast videographer market too. It could happen, they've surely had enough feedback from frustrated 'long term' loyal pentaxians who feel let down in this area.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 05-03-2015 at 07:11 PM.
05-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are going to jump to Micro Four-Thirds, you should consider Panasonic. My 4 year old GH2 is much better than my K-3 and likely better than the K-3 II. The GH2 works great with Pentax lenses too, never overheats, and can shoot 60 minutes or more continuous you could probably get a used one cheap these days.

Last edited by johnmflores; 05-03-2015 at 10:52 PM.