Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Panasonic literally just announced the G7, which is a GH4 stripped down.
Loses metal body and weather resistance, but keeps a lot of the internals. Probably the best bang for your buck in this area at the moment.
They also have a fixed zoom lens camera based on the GH4, that is also very affordable and brings a pretty nice lens to the table.

And Tom, if you don't mind losing the SR (only Olympus has a decent one anyway, besides Pentax) the Samsung NX1 could be a really interesting offer too. Bigger sensor than those Panas and Olys, really high resolution, fast sensor, good screens, ... there's little not to like (apart from the price tag, but it's not like other cameras in that category are cheap).

05-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes the FZ1000 is interesting. Right now it really depends on your wants and needs really. 4k is available now from Panasonic.
Panasonic do stabilisation in their lenses, which the FZ1000 has. It's a smaller sensor again though from memory, a 1" jobbie.
Wide angle, low light ability and depth of field become a bit more involved the smaller the sensor generally.
05-19-2015, 03:18 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Yes the FZ1000 is interesting. Right now it really depends on your wants and needs really. 4k is available now from Panasonic.
Panasonic do stabilisation in their lenses, which the FZ1000 has. It's a smaller sensor again though from memory, a 1" jobbie.
Wide angle, low light ability and depth of field become a bit more involved the smaller the sensor generally.
I was talking about the LX100, couldn't remember the name.

Shooting 4K with the pocket Panasonic LX100
06-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
... if you don't mind losing the SR (only Olympus has a decent one anyway, besides Pentax) the Samsung NX1 could be a really interesting offer too. Bigger sensor than those Panas and Olys, really high resolution, fast sensor, good screens, ... there's little not to like (apart from the price tag, but it's not like other cameras in that category are cheap).
kadajawi ... you may test it - for free - for 14 days - for us: (Red field in the ad)
Samsung Value Kit NX1,AF 2,0-2,8/16-50 ED OIS,Batteriegriff EV-NX1ZZZBQBDE - fotokoch.de

06-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Samsung do that NX500? now too, whch is 4k capable, with interchangeable lenses, but no EVF or sensor shift stabilisation etc.
06-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #96
mee
Veteran Member

This has got me thinking... with framerates, processors, and memory speed and pricing as they are.. it won't be too long before photo cameras and video cameras really merge.. for good. Probably in the next 5-10 years (my pulled it out of the air guess). I guesstimate we will essentially have video cameras with stills mode features. Likely after EVF really improves.

I'm not a videographer so having 'inferior' video specs on my Pentax camera right now doesn't bother me. However, with the above in mind, if this doesn't bother Ricoh/Pentax then we are in VERY rough waters in 5-10 years. I certainly hope Ricoh starts really working on video technology with the future in mind. Today it isn't a big deal. In the not-too-distant future perhaps much more.
06-04-2015, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Well, it's a big deal today for those who consider it a big deal today...

06-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
it won't be too long before photo cameras and video cameras really merge.. for good
I don't agree with that (completely..). Except maybe for consumer level only. And even then there will be stills-focused equipment and video focused tools.
especially on video equipment, i doubt it.
Just look at today's black magic cameras or other offerings from canon/sony.
Remember product differentiation is also a commercial tool..
06-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #99
Veteran Member

it won't be too long before photo cameras and video cameras really merge..
Sony NEX-VG-900E anyone ?
Just doesn't have the low light performance or 4K output of the A7s. And is about the cost of a Tascam DR-70D more expensive then the A7s.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 11:59 PM ----------

Today it isn't a big deal.
So very very very wrong.
It has been a 'big deal' since the 5D2 was launched.
That's 2008 btw.
06-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
What an immature thing to post...
Yep...being immature is my purpose and it is not good to deny people their purpose.

Steve
06-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the magic lantern firmware development for canon products. Yes I 100% believe more could be achieved from the Pentax hardware by better software development.
I may be mistaken, but the last time I looked (today), Magic Lantern is not a Canon project. It is an open-source hack of Canon's camera control API that is only accessible due to lax engineering on the part of Canon.* The Canon API is not designed to be open and Canon provides no support to the Magic Lantern project.

Steve

* There is a reason why Magic Lantern is not available for Nikon, Pentax, and other cameras.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-04-2015 at 01:47 PM.
06-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I may be mistaken, but the last time I looked (today), Magic Lantern is not a Canon project. It is an open-source hack of Canon's camera control API that is only accessible due to lax engineering on the part of Canon.* The Canon API is not designed to be open and Canon provides no support to the Magic Lantern project.

Steve

* There is a reason why Magic Lantern is not available for Nikon, Pentax, and other cameras.

No you are not wrong in the first part. I have never said that Magic Lantern is a Canon offering. What I was saying though was that because of it, Canon have maintained a higher presence in the Video world than they otherwise would have. It's been in their best interests to some degree to have an option (approved or not) available to users who wish to utilise a more video capable firmware than the average conservative software they opt to send the package out with.

As for the Lax engineering, that's a big bold unsubstantiated statement. Hacking work is underway right now with the Pentax software, it just doesn't have a big army of coders associated with it. That right there is the major difference between the two, not the 'quality' of the code security.

Please see here for some history as to how Magic Lantern got to the stage it is presently:

Pentax has good hardware and with some focus on video they too could release some great firmware with more video focussed features and capabilities.
Right now, they don't do this, which is why we have bit rates, codecs and resolutions that haven't changed in many years now.
06-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #103
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Sony NEX-VG-900E anyone ?
Just doesn't have the low light performance or 4K output of the A7s. And is about the cost of a Tascam DR-70D more expensive then the A7s.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 11:59 PM ----------

So very very very wrong.
It has been a 'big deal' since the 5D2 was launched.
That's 2008 btw.
And yet people still buy stills predominate cameras in droves to take still photos without a care of the video features. So it is true that is not a big deal yet. It will be a big deal once the market as a whole embraces video as THE thing. That has not occurred yet, they are still two markets. I don't think anything short of MF will be stills only in the future... or at least any device with an OVF. EVF really is the future view finder technology. Once the market really embraces that, it can embrace video.
06-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #104
Veteran Member

And yet people still buy stills predominate cameras in droves to take still photos without a care of the video features. .
Where on earth do you get this information from?
06-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya know...I shoot with my K3 cameras every single day...and video is what they see the most of.
Somehow, with all the work I have on my plate, and people asking for more...well...I guess I should throw up my hands and say my K3 cameras with their great video quality are just not up to it. I guess I am fooling everyone.

I mean, really?

How many people here are shooting movies that are going to be seen in a Theatre?
How many people's work is seen outside of a computer screen or away from a HD television set?

I get it that the K3 doesn't have all the latest and greatest in the way of codec and other things "on paper".

To make the hyperbole comments about the K3 video is just not fair or accurate.