Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 II = better for video ?

• First specs to come now. Anything NEW in terms of the codec ?
  • 60i 50i 30 25 24 ................ but still no 50p !!!
  • H.264 ..... still with that tiny low bit-rate ??

04-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't seen anything about it, but based on that the K-3II has the same image processor as the K-3 I would be surprised if there's much difference in their video capabilities. Looks like GPS and the super resolution thing are what they concentrated on in this minor update. Maybe better luck with the FF or the next major step in flagship APS.
04-23-2015, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

60i is pathetic in 2015.

Pentax just don't get it.
04-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
  • First specs to come now. Anything NEW in terms of the codec ?
  • 60i 50i 30 25 24 ................ but still no 50p !!!
  • H.264 ..... still with that tiny low bit-rate ??
No changes have been made in the video department.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh is on the record saying that video is not a priority for Pentax. While that could change some day, today isn't that day. Personally I would not expect video to become a priority until the 36×24 system is fully established.
04-23-2015, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Ricoh is on the record saying that video is not a priority for Pentax.
But I assume selling compelling cameras is a priority?
04-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I dare say that video will be greatly improved over time, as the sales from the current products (and those in their immediate plans, assuming that doesn't include major video improvements) return profits to justify it. Personally, I don't care if their video isn't up to current (higher) standards, but I acknowledge others feel differently. However, Ricoh is a very successful company, and it's highly likely they got where they are through research and planning. So if their research told them their immediate (growth) market didn't care that much about video, it would be out of character to go against that finding.

04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I dare say that video will be greatly improved over time.
I'd be astounded if it didn't... Certainly it can't get any worse.
04-24-2015, 01:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At least it seems that their stupid electronic SR has been removed
and is hardware SR again - and may be better for panning now.

One small step for Pentax … one small leap for videographers
04-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
At least it seems that their stupid electronic SR has been removed
and is hardware SR again - and may be better for panning now.

One small step for Pentax … one small leap for videographers
Where did you read this, Tom???
04-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's probably on their to-do list after they finish improving imagery side of things. FF is coming, revamping lenses for better AF.C, update lenses for FF... lots on their plate to catch up. Aren't they also using Fuji's processor currently? Probably partly why it has so little video support.
04-26-2015, 01:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Where did you read this, Tom???
Ditto, Spill,..!

Mechanical SR and Clean HDMI 1080p are my two questions to decide to buy or not.

And I really really REALLY hope you're correct.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-26-2015 at 01:43 AM.
04-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If it does have mechanical SR, and maaaaaybe ups the bitrate, I'm quite inclined to get it when I can afford it.

The problem with the K-3 II is that they haven't changed the image processor. I wouldn't be surprised if that is because they have seen that the new Fujitsu (well, it's a different company now, but I can't remember the name) processor is vastly superior, but not yet available. They will be quite busy working on the FF and just pushed out this mild refresh so they can sell a few more cameras. Replacing the processor with a slightly newer one (that may do 60p) is not deemed worth it. The latest Milbeaut, though for surveillance purposes, apparently does things such as 4K, and they have a dedicated HEVC hardware encoder now. So eventually surely they will hopefully put together these technologies and create a much more attractive processor... which will hopefully find it's way into the FF and the proper K-3 successor.

@Tom: Source please!
04-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax kind of makes me ashamed when it comes to video...my phone takes videos that look much better than my K-3.
04-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

But can you use zoom lenses, fisheye lenses, primes and other faster lenses to get razor thin DoF on your phone? Or are you wanting everything in focus to infinity and beyond?

---------- Post added 04-27-15 at 05:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
If it does have mechanical SR, and maaaaaybe ups the bitrate, I'm quite inclined to get it when I can afford it.

@Tom: Source please!
No, Tom is mistaken again. There has not been a return to mechanical SR for video recording.