Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, this is right - I was confusing the MX-1 with the K-01. The MX-1 can set totally different custom picture profile for video than JPEG.

Personally I don't find the dynamic range that good with the K-01 video, so those Canons must really suck..
Well, Canons should have a lower DR than Pentaxes with stills (at least according to DxO), so it stands to reason that video DR is worse as well, all other things being equal.

04-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
(around ISO400, f/4, 1/750 for stills)..
Yup, that's ND filter territory. ND's to pull down the overall light level, and then a Flacky to bounce fill in to the dark spots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
so those Canons must really suck..
11 stops in stills, reported around 9 in video.

The recording outside the maximum IRE levels helps preserve the dynamic range of the K-01, and then the shitty datarate in the CoDec ruins it with noise, especially in the dark areas.
04-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Yup, that's ND filter territory. ND's to pull down the overall light level, and then a Flacky to bounce fill in to the dark spots.

11 stops in stills, reported around 9 in video.

The recording outside the maximum IRE levels helps preserve the dynamic range of the K-01, and then the shitty datarate in the CoDec ruins it with noise, especially in the dark areas.
You mean too much light is bad? I thought that it would only increase the ISO and reduce DR...
What's a "flacky", I googled but didn't find anything.

Is it better/possible to do ETTR with video as well or
1. you never get the chance because you never run into such a limited DR that you have the luxury of extra stops
2. the compression renders it useless unless you can record raw video?
04-28-2015, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I think, with the K01, you just need to make sure you have enough light in the darker areas of your scenes. They are easily ruined with noise if you want to lift them in post.
Just shoot as flat as possible.. muted & contrast all the way down.
Maybe there is something to say for a low contrast filter if you shoot a lot outside..

04-29-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

ETTR,... not a fan.
Sure it gives you more range in the shadows, but you loose the highlights completely.
( I really need post an example of as-shot and corrected from a video that I did a while back,.... )

You mean too much light is bad? I thought that it would only increase the ISO and reduce DR...
Those are not the same.

You get maximum Dynamic Range out of a sensor when it's operating at it's 'native' ISO, or in proper video sensor terms, when it's operating at Zero dB gain applied.
I've not seen any official figures for which ISO setting equates to 0dB gain on a K-01 (or any of the Pentax cameras), or if any setting has attenuation applied.

My gut feeling based on the amount of noise in the image, is that it is likely to be one of the three lowest settings - 100, 200 or 400.
800 ISO has some noise in the image, but it's a good noise

Over exposing the sensor will reduce the dynamic range of the encoded image.

2. the compression renders it useless unless you can record raw video?
When you look at the K-01's vision, either when opening the files in your NLE, or via a waveform monitor attached to the Analog output, the signal you get is not clipped to 0 and 100% IRE, it instead includes information from about -20 to +125%.
So where Canon's etc hard clip the data at 0 and 100, throwing away picture information, the Pentax cameras are preserving the dynamic range.
The problem then, is that the datarate is so low that a lot of that preserved dynamic range is lost in the compression to h.264.

This is one of the reasons I bang on about getting the HDMI to function in record mode of the K-01, so that dynamic range could be preserved for much much much better final presentation after colour grading.

Recording in 'Raw', or Compressed CinemaDNG, would also preserve that data - frankly, with Raw recording, IMHO, the K-01 would kick the butt of some very expensive competitors. There were some very smart choices made in some areas of the Pentax video engineering, that are hobbled by some very silly choices in the firmware.

This line,..
Yup, that's ND filter territory.
..., Was referring to the description of how bright the conditions were, and how use of ND's would allow a lower ISO and lower Shutter Speed.
In the described conditions, I'm suprised at the use off 400ISO over 100 or 200, though coupled with the high shutter speed, it would be understandable when shooting sports videos.

What's a "flacky", I googled but didn't find anything.
That's because I spelt 'Flecky' wrong.
Short for Reflector,...

Collapsible Reflectors | B&H Photo Video
04-29-2015, 04:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ETTR,... not a fan.
Sure it gives you more range in the shadows, but you loose the highlights completely.
( I really need post an example of as-shot and corrected from a video that I did a while back,.... )

Those are not the same.

You get maximum Dynamic Range out of a sensor when it's operating at it's 'native' ISO, or in proper video sensor terms, when it's operating at Zero dB gain applied.
I've not seen any official figures for which ISO setting equates to 0dB gain on a K-01 (or any of the Pentax cameras), or if any setting has attenuation applied.

My gut feeling based on the amount of noise in the image, is that it is likely to be one of the three lowest settings - 100, 200 or 400.
800 ISO has some noise in the image, but it's a good noise

Over exposing the sensor will reduce the dynamic range of the encoded image.

When you look at the K-01's vision, either when opening the files in your NLE, or via a waveform monitor attached to the Analog output, the signal you get is not clipped to 0 and 100% IRE, it instead includes information from about -20 to +125%.
So where Canon's etc hard clip the data at 0 and 100, throwing away picture information, the Pentax cameras are preserving the dynamic range.
The problem then, is that the datarate is so low that a lot of that preserved dynamic range is lost in the compression to h.264.

This is one of the reasons I bang on about getting the HDMI to function in record mode of the K-01, so that dynamic range could be preserved for much much much better final presentation after colour grading.

Recording in 'Raw', or Compressed CinemaDNG, would also preserve that data - frankly, with Raw recording, IMHO, the K-01 would kick the butt of some very expensive competitors. There were some very smart choices made in some areas of the Pentax video engineering, that are hobbled by some very silly choices in the firmware.

This line,..

..., Was referring to the description of how bright the conditions were, and how use of ND's would allow a lower ISO and lower Shutter Speed.
In the described conditions, I'm suprised at the use off 400ISO over 100 or 200, though coupled with the high shutter speed, it would be understandable when shooting sports videos.

That's because I spelt 'Flecky' wrong.
Short for Reflector,...

Collapsible Reflectors | B&H Photo Video
On mobile right now, will read thoroughly.
Shot conditions I was referring to a still shot of a fast moving subject a couple of minutes before the video, just to give an idea of lighting conditions.

Won't an ND force you to use higher ISOs to compensate for lack of light?
04-29-2015, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

On mobile right now, will read thoroughly.
Shot conditions I was referring to a still shot of a fast moving subject a couple of minutes before the video, just to give an idea of lighting conditions.

Won't an ND force you to use higher ISOs to compensate for lack of light?
He is talking about situations where there is so much light you'd shoot at 1/800 and ISO 100 to get to use, say, f2.8. The shutter speed will make for a stuttery video. With the ND you may get it down to 1/50, f2.8 and ISO 100.

04-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
He is talking about situations where there is so much light you'd shoot at 1/800 and ISO 100 to get to use, say, f2.8. The shutter speed will make for a stuttery video. With the ND you may get it down to 1/50, f2.8 and ISO 100.
Aaah ok now I get it thanks!
In some cases the "staccato" effect could be desirable, I believe...must buy some decent NDs...
04-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Kadajawi has it in one.
The ND's are so you can open the Iris and slow down the shutter speed for anything other then sports actions.
The D-Day Beach Landing scene in Saving Private Ryan is probably the best known example of where high shutter speed as been used for dramatic effect in a movie.
There's also some action sequences in Gamer that use it.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 04-29-2015 at 09:43 PM.
04-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kadajawi has it in one.
The ND's are so you can open the Iris and slow down the shutter speed for anything other then sports actions.
The D-Day Beach Landing scene in Saving Private Ryan is probably the best known example of where high shutter speed as been used for dramatic effect in a movie.
There's also some action sequences in Gamer that use it.
Yep that was the example I remembered reading about somewhere (maybe dpreview)...
05-01-2015, 01:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

There's also good examples in Band of Brothers, and any high frame rate super slow motion video, not that I would encourage watching the vision of pretty girls on trampolines.