Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My first proper music video/live recording

Finally got the chance to shoot with multiple cameras. I cut it to the album version of the song, so there are some moments that don't quite fit.

And the version on Vimeo.

Shot using a Pentax K-5 at 50mm (main camera, hand held), a Sony NEX 5 with 18-55 and a GoPro Hero 2.

The Pentax and Sony were set to the same white balance, but in terms of grading the Pentax is SO much easier to work with. The footage holds up pretty well, and just looks way better to start with. The aliasing on the Sony is insane, I tried to turn off all sharpening, but by the looks of it I must have set it to the highest possible amount of sharpening... The GoPro works quite well.

The Sony footage looks much better on YouTube than it really was, YouTube compressed the hell out of it (and thereby fixed it). The Pentax shots suffered a bit.

Need to find out how to make YouTube videos look better, what I uploaded did look better than what YouTube turned it into.

Last edited by kadajawi; 05-24-2015 at 12:06 PM.
05-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

looks pretty good....too bad the stage lights don't have much color
05-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you seen this page?
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Vimeo may be a better location also, depending on the focus of the video.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 11:53 AM ----------

Only comment I'd make is I'd move the image down on the y axis.
Putting the wider aspect ratio overlays across means you've often cut the musicians heads off quite a bit, which I'm finding a bit irking.
05-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
looks pretty good....too bad the stage lights don't have much color
Thanks. Actually the lights on stage were quite... strong. But it was a constant violet or purple... didn't look particularly good IMHO. I attached a photo more or less the way it came out of Lightroom without processing.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Have you seen this page?
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Vimeo may be a better location also, depending on the focus of the video.

---------- Post added 05-15-15 at 11:53 AM ----------

Only comment I'd make is I'd move the image down on the y axis.
Putting the wider aspect ratio overlays across means you've often cut the musicians heads off quite a bit, which I'm finding a bit irking.
Yeah. I'll upload it to Vimeo... I encoded a DNxHD file that I'm going to transcode with x264, so that should give me better quality without exploding file sizes. I wonder if YouTube decides on their targetted bitrate by looking at the size of the input file... i.e. if something small comes in it will only get very low bitrates, even though that file looks great and needs plenty from YouTube.

I have thought about that quite a bit... I do want to use the wider aspect ratio, it just looks better most of the time. Didn't crop much though. Next time I will shoot with that in mind... The GoPro footage is moved down, for the rest I thought about it. The problem is that the guitars for example play a role too, sometimes I'd want to keep the hand playing the guitar or bass.

Attached Images

Last edited by kadajawi; 05-14-2015 at 05:46 PM.
05-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah I find myself shooting further back than I expect to, knowing I'm going to be losing the top and bottom later on.
05-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Audio is slightly out of sync.
I agree about Youtubes re encoding, it's not kind to consumer video.

I use MetaDataMover to place the meta at the file start (moov atom)
rndware - MetaData Mover
05-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

What did you use for the audio?
Is this a lip sync'd performance to an existing audio track, or did you record audio separately off the mixer?

05-15-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did ask the band to record the live audio, but haven't received the recording yet. The sound track from this video is what they recorded a while back in studio, the live performance of the song is about 15 seconds or so longer. So I had to chop up the video into small enough segments that I could resync. Sadly especially the lead guitarist didn't stick to the album version... to be fair to the band this wasn't planned, just a live video.

I updated the post with a better quality video (hopefully...). Exported that in DNxHD and converted it via 10 bit x264 at q19 and placebo settings... and it does look better (and is smaller) than q19 with the Intel QuickSync encoder at the highest possible settings... at the cost of being much slower. Will now attempt to upload it to Vimeo... lets see how it looks like there.

Brilliant. My video is 600 MB, Vimeo has a 500 MB per week limit... so I need to compress it more in order to fit... which is bad for quality.

Last edited by kadajawi; 05-15-2015 at 06:04 AM.
05-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I updated the first post with the latest, final version of the video. I fixed the grading a bit, and fixed some sync issues.

It looks like the sound guy has lost the thumbdrive with the live sound... so unless that drive reappears I won't be able to do the live videos. Too bad, it was really good, and with the original soundtrack there wouldn't be sync issues.