Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone! Really good recommendations!

07-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Not quite - I use Lightroom 5. It can now download videos and play them only. Its convenient for downloading, naming and sorting and nothing else. I have not heard of any additional video support in the later versions of lightroom
Not true..

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-03-2015 at 01:45 AM.
07-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, Lightroom can do a lot with your videos now, as can photoshop from memory also.
Ironically one of the big new features of Premiere 2015 is a colour grading panel, featuring a layout taken directly from Lightroom.

07-07-2015, 03:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

A note on Lightroom, something I've notice today with a project I'm working on...

I've used the workaround to develop a preset on a jpeg exported from the video files in the camera, and then apply that to the corresponding video file in the Library section of Lightroom.

While the footage does look good, it appears to be clipped to NTSC IRE limits on export (+5% and +95%), instead of the cameras -15% to +125% before clipping.

Most of the time, does not affect anything, but it does affect how much detail you loose in the both Bright and Dark highlights that you can otherwise recover in the NLE using the Luma curves. The black areas of the frame appear crushed and the white areas clipped.

I exported a second time, without the colour corrections, and only lens corrections to remove the purple fringe at wide open Iris, and the same clipping to NTSC levels is present, so it's an export thing, not a colour correction thing.

This was on footage shot indoors, next to a window, on an overcast and rainy day, at 100ISO on the K-01, with the display on the bottom of the screen indicating the vision was almost underexposed, in the 'Muted' profile.

Now, if only there was a correction for the fringing in Edius,.... time for a GV Forum post

---------- Post added 07-07-15 at 08:43 PM ----------

Richard : Lumetri certainly looks like a vast improvement over the previous colour tools in Premiere.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-07-2015 at 03:40 AM.
07-07-2015, 03:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Richard : Lumetri certainly looks like a vast improvement over the previous colour tools in Premiere.
It's quite intuitive now coming from Lightroom.

Personal lol moment for me, if you double click the sliders they now return to zero. Small things but I use that heaps in Lightroom and always got annoyed at the lack of it in premiere.
08-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't say that I recommend it, but I'm exploring Blender's NLE features actually. It's free software (base on ffmpeg I suppose), it is color managed, have some rough color grading tools, can change the frame rate of a video but w/o processed inter frame (AFAIK). And since it is integrated in the 3D rendering tool, it has compositing features that I already use for 3D transitions. Worth the try for beginners. I've also tried Lightworks, ... well, it seems to have a rich feature set for NLE, but didn't found my way there. It's free for personal use and limited output format (roughly, Youtube output only!). The paid version unlock a bunch of functionalities.
08-16-2015, 02:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use kdenlive, but its on Ubuntu. You can try shotcut, its free and has decent features.

09-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

Something cool I found the other day is that with the colour editing mode enabled, the lumetri colour panel is displayed full time.

As you move along the timeline, if you stop and make an adjustment with one of the lumetri sliders, Premiere automatically applies the lumetri colour effect to the video file at that point.
(Just thinking about this I'll need to go back and check some more to work out how it knows to apply to the actual video file entry, and not the picture effects above this, such as aspect ratio bars etc)

The end result is a very quick way to zip along your footage applying clip specific adjustments were required.
Previously I'd been adding the lumetri or other colour/levels adjustment effect to each clip by hand, which is time consuming.

With them all adjusted to be similar, you then apply an overall adjustment layer above everything, and proceed to colour grade for the overall look of your project.
Lumetri's included faded film and emulation luts are really cool at this stage also.

New on the horizon for Premiere looks to be some HDR capabilities, an optical flow twixtor type process built into premiere for time mapping (with GPU support), some touch gestures (?!) for windows surface type devices, and the ability to work with H.265 formats.
10-07-2015, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Does all the improvements to Premiere include live updating of the waveform monitors? What about continuous playback while making changes to Luma curves and colours?

The CS6 install I have on one PC (mostly for when I need to fix other peoples work in Premiere) seems to drop out playback when making changes - something that never happens in Edius, where playback happens seamlessly while you edit, unless you swap to another app.

I've had 4K ProRes footage from and Aja Cion on the timeline in Edius lately, and watching how well it plays back while doing live colour correction is a joy - the stupidly heavily compressed Non-Professional h.264 Codec used in the K-01 takes more effort to decode on playback and scrubbing then the 4K ProRessHQ 422 does.
Go Figure,...
10-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Depends on your skill and experience. For beginners I would recommend Sony Vegas - very functional and has friendly interface. Adobe products are much more complicated .
10-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For those looking for an NLE, Resolve from Blackmagic has been updated, and now includes a timeline for editing.
It doesn't work in the same way are traditional NLE's, but for people new to editing, it may be a good choice, as you won't have the habits of us older hands.
Resolve 12 Lite is free.
It is also a pain in the backside to get running properly on a Windows PC - best way to do it, is to grab a spare harddrive, install a fresh copy of Win7, or 10 if you must, add the hardware drivers that came with your M/Board and video card - you will need a CUDA supported nVidia card, or an OpenGL supported AMD-ATi card - followed by the 2015 C++ Visual basic libraries, the Dot Net 4 standalone installer, then the latest version of the video card drivers that support your card, and then Resolve.

When installed successfully, it is a very powerful and fast application.
It's not my favorite, I prefer Edius, but it is still a useful tool, and the Lite version is just the right price