Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Video editor recommendation?

Hey guys,

I know lightroom seems to be the choice for photo editing and processing, but how about video? I just need to breakup some longer videos into smaller clips and wanted to see what everyone recommended. These are just home videos and nothing professional.

Thx,
Mike

06-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Try AVS4YOU AVS Video Editor. It's free to trial only adds watermark.
06-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use video editor (free) for quick and nasty - does an ok job
However when I want a proper job I use Adobe premier elements. It's cheapish. However it takes quite a bit to work it out (but maybe I'm just getting old). It does most of what I want. The full blown Adobe premier works very differently but costs some serious money so I'm happy playing with elements.

Sounds like you are best with the free video editor.
06-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am with Bob, go for Adobe Premier Elements. Feature rich while still relatively user friendly. There is a learning curve but it is likely the best bang for the buck. If you don't mind a steep learning curve and have the money, Adobe Premier is a good choice for serious editing

Good luck

Randy

06-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you!
06-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wait, can't Lightroom edit videos? I was under the impression it could...
For simple vodeo splitting I doubt you could go wrong with Windows Movie Maker.
06-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I use MoviePlus X6 which is very easy but powerful at the same time. It enables combinations of video and still photos using a drag and drop method. The support community is very helpful also.
HD Video Editing Software – MoviePlus X6 from Serif

06-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Wait, can't Lightroom edit videos? I was under the impression it could...
For simple vodeo splitting I doubt you could go wrong with Windows Movie Maker.
Not quite - I use Lightroom 5. It can now download videos and play them only. Its convenient for downloading, naming and sorting and nothing else. I have not heard of any additional video support in the later versions of lightroom
06-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
CDW
Site Supporter

Premiere is probably the best bet. An alternative if you're using a Mac, is Fotomagico. It's a bit finicky but easy to learn and is the slickest slide show software for a Mac plus allows the use of HD, including UHD 4K clips. You can color grade video clips in LR. Here's a link.

Color Grading Video in Photoshop and Lightroom
06-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use Adobe elements as well.
06-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use Sony Vegas.
06-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a very old premierpro (2.0) and it’s done every thing I’ve asked of it. I tried vegas back then but it didn’t do nested sequences.
06-24-2015, 12:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Wondershare Filmora for Quick Edits & Cuts. Its very easy to use (intuitive) and reduced to the basics, cheap... like it. (used it for a complex video about a prototype at work, did the job very well)

At work i usually use Camtasia it has more fancy options, especially for doing tutorials... more expensive.

both have free trials... my preference is Filmora for great looking videos without spending days just to find out where all the functions and features are...

I have tried / used a lot of different Programs (incl. Adobe Premiere, Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, some stuff that comes with cameras, some more scientific software for analyzing at work) and those two above are really great and universal without needing a lot of training & experience... what you do is what you see...
The two are not as feature and function rich as Premiere (&Pro) but do what you need most of the time. and the UI is much better and not overfilled with stuff.

Last edited by max_pyne; 06-24-2015 at 04:27 AM.
06-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Windows I used: Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software
Under OS X I just trim my videos in QuickTime (⌘T) and handbrake ( https://handbrake.fr ) converts it to the appropriate format.
06-25-2015, 05:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Vote 1 Grass-Valley Edius, Broadcast 'realtime' NLE.

And there's a 30 day trial version