Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #1

New music video!

Hello again! I'm back with a new music video, again filmed with my Pentax K3, this time using the 35mm DA lens. I know most of the people in the forum don't speak spanish, so making it short, the song is about how your family is an influence on the person you have become. The video is very simple, just some shots with the band playing and other with the "acting" part. Also the colors were changed in the edition to give an "old" feeling. Hope you like it

07-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool!
07-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work!

They're a really good band.

Just curious - what was your reasoning behind using only one lens? In this case, I feel like some of your compositions were overly compromised, due to the lack of variety of focal lengths to work with. Also, I might like it more if your camera were on "eye level" with your subject, even when their heads were on in the frame (the camera is looking down at them to cut off their heads, rather than being on eye-level with their shoulders, if that makes sense).

One more piece of friendly feedback - when going for a retro feeling with colors, I'd try to keep the camera more steady (or move it more professionally). slightly shaky camera + retro colors is probably not as effective as steady camera OR intentionally shaky camera + retro colors. In other words, you want the retro colors to feel like a choice, not like the video was made cheaply. A steady camera, or fancy ways of moving the camera, such as a slider, shoulder rig (with counter weight), or dolly, can help create a higher-budget look.

Keep up the good work. You're a credit to the Pentax brand.
07-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Nice work!

They're a really good band.

Just curious - what was your reasoning behind using only one lens? In this case, I feel like some of your compositions were overly compromised, due to the lack of variety of focal lengths to work with. Also, I might like it more if your camera were on "eye level" with your subject, even when their heads were on in the frame (the camera is looking down at them to cut off their heads, rather than being on eye-level with their shoulders, if that makes sense).

One more piece of friendly feedback - when going for a retro feeling with colors, I'd try to keep the camera more steady (or move it more professionally). slightly shaky camera + retro colors is probably not as effective as steady camera OR intentionally shaky camera + retro colors. In other words, you want the retro colors to feel like a choice, not like the video was made cheaply. A steady camera, or fancy ways of moving the camera, such as a slider, shoulder rig (with counter weight), or dolly, can help create a higher-budget look.

Keep up the good work. You're a credit to the Pentax brand.
Thanks for the feedback, is great to have opinions and use them to improve. About the lens and the composition, it was on purpose, that was the vision for the video, this was the second video I did for the band and wanted a different perspective than the first one.
And about the shaky camera, you are totally right, I really need a stabilizer, tried with software stabilization but I didn't like the results. Just to note, the budget of the video was like 5 dlls, and I'm not a professional videographer, i'm just a guy with his Pentax and a lot of enthusiasm to improve.

07-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sefesoft Quote
Thanks for the feedback, is great to have opinions and use them to improve. About the lens and the composition, it was on purpose, that was the vision for the video, this was the second video I did for the band and wanted a different perspective than the first one.
And about the shaky camera, you are totally right, I really need a stabilizer, tried with software stabilization but I didn't like the results. Just to note, the budget of the video was like 5 dlls, and I'm not a professional videographer, i'm just a guy with his Pentax and a lot of enthusiasm to improve.
You're welcome. I understand what you mean about the stabilizer.

The key to motion picture production is to utilize the resources you have the best you can. This will always make you look professional, no matter what those resources are. A really steady tripod shot will look more professional than a shaky moving shot. This isn't a bad thing - it's just a matter of getting the most out of the tools you have. It's like playing a three-chord song really well vs. playing a 10-chord song less well.

Killer, consistent composition is also something that will ALWAYS look professional, no matter what gear you shoot with. For this reason, I'd recommend being more flexible when choosing lenses. I.e., if you can't get the perfect composition with your 35mm, it's better to switch to your 50mm or 24mm, etc., to get the perfect composition, than to stick with the 35 just for the sake of sticking with the 35mm. The audience can't tell what lens you're using, but they will instinctively respond more emotionally to a stronger composition than they will to a less strong composition. This is the beauty of shooting video with SLRS - you don't need an expensive camera or lenses to create really powerful moving images.

There are a ton of good resources for filmmaking online, now, so your enthusiasm should pay off very well.

Again, great job.
07-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice work, and seconding most of the feedback above. And the challenge of sticking to one lens and getting the framing, that can be half the fun sometimes

But.
My gut reaction is that the edit is too slow, there should be a lot more cuts to keep up with the beats and the tempo.
Now, I don't understand the language, so the pacing might match the words better then the tempo,.. But the feel is, the vision drags a little compared to the speed of the music.
Towards the end, as the crescendo starts, you need to put in a wide vista, something as grand as the build in the music - character walking in to sunset sort of shot.

As for the band, I'd go see 'em live, they've got a good sound.

---------- Post added 17-07-15 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sefesoft Quote
and I'm not a professional videographer, i'm just a guy with his Pentax and a lot of enthusiasm to improve.
Sorry, but I calls bullshit on that
You are very very very much a pro videographer, because you're thinking about what your doing and trying to improve.
07-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

First of all, I haven't watched the video yet, because my connection is about as good as a 56k modem or iSDN connection. I will watch it as soon as I can.

As for getting the camera stable... you could for example use a big piece of cardboard, put the camera on a tripod and push around the cardboard. Or, if it is on a table or so you can just put the camera on cardboard. Same with things with wheels, depending on the floor of course, it could be too bumpy. There are ways to turn tripods into glidecams. etc. The one big problem I have with that is you can't focus anymore once you do that... I like to have my fingers on the lens all the time, so I can adjust focus at all times.

Ps: Where are you in Spain? Sometimes I'm in Galicia, sometimes at the Costa Brava. (I really need to learn Spanish...).
07-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice work! I think you are improving. I agree with everything that's already been said as well. There are quite a few DIY ways to stabilize your camera especially in a semi-controlled environment. Just takes a little planning ahead of time.

07-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
First of all, I haven't watched the video yet, because my connection is about as good as a 56k modem or iSDN connection. I will watch it as soon as I can.

As for getting the camera stable... you could for example use a big piece of cardboard, put the camera on a tripod and push around the cardboard. Or, if it is on a table or so you can just put the camera on cardboard. Same with things with wheels, depending on the floor of course, it could be too bumpy. There are ways to turn tripods into glidecams. etc. The one big problem I have with that is you can't focus anymore once you do that... I like to have my fingers on the lens all the time, so I can adjust focus at all times.

Ps: Where are you in Spain? Sometimes I'm in Galicia, sometimes at the Costa Brava. (I really need to learn Spanish...).
Thanks for the tips, I'm working in something like that (the big cardboard), hope is finished for my next video. Also the band (it's my second video with them) bought me a stabilizer online and soon will be in my hands. Also, I'm not in Spain, I'm from Mexico, from a city on the border with US called Mexicali.

---------- Post added 07-19-15 at 09:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Very nice work! I think you are improving. I agree with everything that's already been said as well. There are quite a few DIY ways to stabilize your camera especially in a semi-controlled environment. Just takes a little planning ahead of time.
Thanks LeRoll, I will take in consideration all the advices for my next work!

---------- Post added 07-19-15 at 09:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Nice work, and seconding most of the feedback above. And the challenge of sticking to one lens and getting the framing, that can be half the fun sometimes

But.
My gut reaction is that the edit is too slow, there should be a lot more cuts to keep up with the beats and the tempo.
Now, I don't understand the language, so the pacing might match the words better then the tempo,.. But the feel is, the vision drags a little compared to the speed of the music.
Towards the end, as the crescendo starts, you need to put in a wide vista, something as grand as the build in the music - character walking in to sunset sort of shot.

As for the band, I'd go see 'em live, they've got a good sound.

---------- Post added 17-07-15 at 07:45 PM ----------

Sorry, but I calls bullshit on that
You are very very very much a pro videographer, because you're thinking about what your doing and trying to improve.
Thanks for the advice, maybe the edit feels slow because the language, the music indeed is fast, but the lyrics are more deep, it is a very personal song for the vocalist and was the tone he wanted to show.