Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

What to do ( video)

Hi all.

I couldn't remember my username so I've had to sign in again.
I have a k500 with 18-55 18-270 and 50 1.8f.
I have just got contracted to do my first event videography job and feel that the k500 isn't up for the challenge.
I have been looking at upgrading to the k-S2 (I'm going to read your reviews on it on here).

What are your thoughts, I do a lot of photography which the pentax is great for but videography should I be upgrading to another pentax or look into another model? Obviously I have a small fortune in pentax lenses and understand how pentax works whereas if I moved to Canon it's a new start again.

I am really looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Many thanks

Jon

07-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How did you get contracted ? I've offered to do free baby photos and got turned down. Am I ugly ? Sweaty ? Look sinister ?
07-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
A regular client have contracted my company to do some videography, I've done lots of videography before but this is a bit more involved.
What are your thoughts condor27956?
07-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Depending on your budget and how much you stand to get paid (and the prospect of future work coming from doing a great job) Consider buying a GH4.
Pentax are not good enough for paid videography work.

Ed of PhotoUniverse is dropping Pentax in favour of Canon for Wedding video work.

07-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Depending on your budget and how much you stand to get paid (and the prospect of future work coming from doing a great job) Consider buying a GH4.
Pentax are not good enough for paid videography work.
Thanks Steve.
This is what I've been thinking but didn't want to admit it because it will require a big out lay in new equipment.

In your opinion what is it about pentax that don't make them sufficient video cameras?
07-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My thoughts are you must be at a professional level and obviously I am not.
07-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonsalty Quote
In your opinion what is it about pentax that don't make them sufficient video cameras?
Terrible aliasing, shocking moire, line-skipping causes 'stepping' on straight edges that are no horizontal, no HDMI live feed out, no mic input on K-50/500, no mechanical SR for hand held footage unless you buy an OS lens, poor (low bitrate) codec, post editing destroys IQ, poor dynamic range..

At best Pentax video is fine for shallow depth of field work, close ups of family, pets and so on but is rubbish for landscapes and massive depth of field.

Plenty of examples on YouTube/Vimeo.

Pentax are well known for being the last choice in video.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-27-2015 at 04:38 PM.
07-28-2015, 12:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
Terrible aliasing, shocking moire, line-skipping causes 'stepping' on straight edges that are no horizontal, no HDMI live feed out, no mic input on K-50/500, no mechanical SR for hand held footage unless you buy an OS lens, poor (low bitrate) codec, post editing destroys IQ, poor dynamic range..

At best Pentax video is fine for shallow depth of field work, close ups of family, pets and so on but is rubbish for landscapes and massive depth of field.

Plenty of examples on YouTube/Vimeo.

Pentax are well known for being the last choice in video.
Thanks Steve for your response.
The footage I will be creating will be partial time lapse and event footage. Literally to summarise the day to post onto social media. If my budget is around £600 where would you start at replacing the k500? For a dslr that is going to be great for photography and manage videography too. (Nothing too serious, just simple videography for small events) Obviously I'm not going to get anything for the small fortune I have in lenses and the k500 isn't worth too much either.
07-28-2015, 01:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, time lapse is a different kettle of fish because you're working with stills. So I won't comment on this.

Knowing more about your plans, for £600 I'd look at a LUMIX GX7 with an IOS lens. Such as
Buy PANASONIC Lumix DMC-GX7KEB-S Compact System Camera with 14-42 mm Lens - Silver | Free Delivery | Currys

07-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Hi, sadly I'm in the same boat – I want to do more serious video but I have a Pentax system with a lot invested in lenses

My current plan is to go with Samsung either the NX1 or much cheaper NX500. They both have a great video output equaling Panasonic's offering. However unlike Panasonic's cameras a Samsung is not 4/3 so my Pentax lenses can be used with an adapter and maintain the field of view that I'm used to using them with. Although, like other camera systems, there is no adapter that allows for auto-focus with Pentax lenses. But then I figure I can add Samsung native lenses as the need arises.
07-29-2015, 12:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

For all the same reasons Steve has listed (and I do love my K-01), the Pentax products are a generation or two behind where they should be for video.

I'd actually not recommend the GH-4, for my personal preference, and recommend an a Sony A7s with a K-to-E-mount adaptor.

I've used both GH-4 and A7s, and found the crop in the GH-4 to be very limiting compared to the full-frame A7s, and the menu layout on the GH-4 is pretty terrible IMHO.

The A7s is also the king of low light / available light shooting for video, easily as good as the FS700, which kicks the but of every Canon and most of the Reds.

Yes, the A7s is a lot more pricey then the GH-4, but it's a better camera for video, and it's stills match the K-5, K-01, K-30 for sharpness and detail.

The six most recent videos on this youtube channel were shot with a combination of A7s as the main camera, and K-01 or FS700 as the b-cam, with the Hit Training and Anzac Biscuit episodes also having a BMD 4K used.

For comparison, the 5 tips for Xmas episode was shot on K-01 and JVC GY-HD7, the JVC being a small, 3CCD camcorder, one of the very first generation of prosumer HD cameras, recording to internal HDD.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCakdn-ttH-r5aKo_PQDvRvw/videos?live_view=500&flow=list&view=0&sort=dd

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-29-2015 at 12:21 AM.
07-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeh, but since the OP revealed his budget I changed my mind about the GH-4 and suggested the GX-7 instead which for his purposes (not yours :P) I reckon would be perfect (even has a good EVF). The A7s will be even further out of his reach!!
07-29-2015, 12:49 AM   #13

Original Poster
If budget weren't important I'd get a RED with all the trimmings. Unfortunately I do have to eat between now and my 30th Birthday.
Thank you all for your advise.
I'm thinking what I might do is part exchange all my pentax equipment and get a £700-£900 Canon.
I have a meeting with my client next week to work out what storyboard they want for this event. I'm hoping it is going to be lots of tripod shots which is where a pentax works fine. But I've tried to pan moving cars and people and that's when it appears to skip and jump and the edges on the shot seem to skew.
I figured if I'm likely to do a lot more videography in my career (the last 4 projects I've done for this client have all required videography) of which I've outsourced, I'd be saving £1000 a time which realistically I could invest into some very good equipment.
I do a lot of photography for events and head shots for dancers so I think the Panasonic and lumixs wouldn't be best there. I think an all rounder would be best.
So yeah, I think I'm going to look for a Canon with a budget of £700-£900 and then perhaps hire a couple of lenses for the event until I can afford to invest into a telephoto and a prime.
07-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Have you compared Canon video with Pentax video, closely??
And I see you've increased your budget by £300 now. So ignore everything I said
07-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #15

Original Poster
Have you compared Canon video with Pentax video, closely??
I haven't tbh Steve, I was going to head down to a camera store this week and explore the differences.
Is there anything I should be aware of?