Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
video camera question

I've been tasked with figuring out how my church can record services to share on YouTube. Services are 59:59 because we're Presbyterian and going more than one hour is anathema to us. But in all seriousness, I need a camera capable of recording up to 80 minutes at a time since I'll have to start them about ten minutes before service while people have not yet entered. All we need is HD recording capability and nothing fancy like a high-MP still image sensor. Audio would be nice but I plan to sync up the audio with the MP3 recorder that we use right now (rigged to the room mics.) So audio would only be to provide markers for MP3 sync-up.

08-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Look towards the JVC Everio series cameras, or similar models made by SONY or Panasonic. All of these are consumer video cameras with some extra features (usually buried deep in menus) that place them close to the prosumer video camera lines. These cameras are generally inexpensive, provide a long recording time, usually require a 10-15% desaturation in post processing to get the color looking natural (probably related to really tiny sensors), and, this is a plus may have an external mic input!
Try to get a camera placement within 20' of the altar with these cameras. If you have to place the cameras in the choir loft, and use extreme telephoto lens settings, the images are going to look terrible. It is just what these cameras do.
When your budget allows, grow to equipment that allows more creativity.
08-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by winkler Quote
JVC Everio
Thank you! I love JVC products and didn't even know they had camcorders. I was also looking at the Canon VIXIA and the Bell and Howell DV12HDZ-BK. The choir box is behind the piano (opposite side of the lectern; we don't have a balcony.) I think that I can get the cameras about 30-35 feet away. I expect to make one static on the choir and then have one be on a soloshot and ask the reverend to hold the soloshot tracking unit when she's walking around.
08-10-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
Imp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Higher quality camcorders are the Panasonic HC-x920, or the Canon G20, G30. These are more expensive, but they would give you better quality if you zoom in, and assuming it is dark-ish because you are inside, their low-light quality would be better. I don't know anything about JVC

08-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Thank you! I love JVC products and didn't even know they had camcorders. I was also looking at the Canon VIXIA and the Bell and Howell DV12HDZ-BK. The choir box is behind the piano (opposite side of the lectern; we don't have a balcony.) I think that I can get the cameras about 30-35 feet away. I expect to make one static on the choir and then have one be on a soloshot and ask the reverend to hold the soloshot tracking unit when she's walking around.
Soloshot? I was not aware of such a device. But, I haven't done much with video in the past five years. It used to be my primary source of income. Having a few of those devices attached to my cameras would have made my wedding videos a lot more efficient to record. Regarding your approach to audio I have a couple of suggestions. You may already know about them, but here goes. Most cameras record audio at 48k, and mp3 audio doesn't record above 44k. All of the video editing software I've used prefers 48k for audio. Resampling mp3 audio to 48k will significantly improve synching to the camera's audio. Also, if you happen to have a spare wireless microphone system lying around, consider sending an audio feed from your recording system to one of the cameras. A hard wire feed will also work, but usually requires reducing the normally high impedance output to a low mic level output with an in-line step-down transformer. The advantage to this is you will have three different audio tracks for editing. An ambient source from one camera's mic, and two sources without ambient; the mp3 and the PA. Hope this info has been of value.
08-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Look for the sensor size. I used a Panasonic with 3MOS, which is 3 CMOS chips. Sadly each is 1/6", and the result is terrible video. Everything else is great...