Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 01:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Music video with K01

Hello Pentaxians,

Recently I did a music video (with short story), done completely with K01.
Please watch and share.

Also did making, editing is also done by me for making (using Kdenlive)

Video language is Hindi (Indian), will try to add subtitles.

08-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd be very happy if my K-01 could produce clean artifact free video like that, especially with the dark scenes.
Please post some info about your camera settings, lens used and techniques to produce the clip. I assume some professional stabilizing ?
08-14-2015, 01:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I'd be very happy if my K-01 could produce clean artifact free video like that, especially with the dark scenes.
Please post some info about your camera settings, lens used and techniques to produce the clip. I assume some professional stabilizing ?
I think K01 is pretty capable video camera, with full manual control and focus peaking.
I used normal tripod, shutterspeed 1/60, as its 30fps video, iso was kept low as possible, only some dark scenes I raised iso to 800.
Video quality was kept to best, color profile used was natural.
Some scenes are hand holding the tripod.

Please see the making video.
08-14-2015, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madhurvyas Quote
Please see the making video.
21 minutes of a language I don't understand and mostly of people being interviewed tells me nothing much at all I'm afraid.
Glad you're getting good video results from the K-01. Mine is crap.

08-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the foreign language, but i thought you could see no special stabilization was used.
08-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I flicked through the video because I wasn't going to sit through interviewing which I can't understand, I saw only two brief moments of the K-01. If there were more shots of it being used between the interview segments I probably missed them.
I was rather hoping you'd answer my queries in this thread rather than just asking me to watch a foreign language video.
Sorry, but this is an English speaking forum after all

I liked what you did, you've got good footage from the K-01 - much better than I've ever got from mine, but I'm none the wiser about any special techniques beyond what I have used myself.
08-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didnt do anything special. I gave all settings i used in my earlier reply.

08-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Okay.
08-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do understand that due to codec limitations quality gets downgraded, but if we have a large part of frame constant then most of the bitrate will be consumed by moving objects. In my case most of the time a large frame was constant, common background like sky or white walls, that helps getting more detail left in face and darker areas.
08-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have trouble with hair or pet fur (or any fine details like grass etc). The moire and micro-blocking is destructive. Your results are better than I can get.
Maybe you have better lenses.
08-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

I didnt do anything special. I gave all settings i used in my earlier reply.

The video quality is impressive....

Please, may I ask which lens did you use - what light set up, any lens hood? Did you PP video in terms of coloring? I would be happy to achieve this on my K5, to be honest.
08-24-2015, 11:34 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by em-tx Quote
The video quality is impressive....

Please, may I ask which lens did you use - what light set up, any lens hood? Did you PP video in terms of coloring? I would be happy to achieve this on my K5, to be honest.
Lenses used are DA*16-50, Da300, A300, A35-105. normal lenshood which came with lens.

Settings used: Color Natural, shutterspeed 1/60. No PP, all color, contrast, sharpness are as captured.
Light is natural in most outdoor scenes, indoor shots are with normal bulbs in umbrella lights(without umbrella), reflector was used in some places.
08-25-2015, 12:07 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done indeed. It didn't bother me at all that I don't speak the language - I enjoyed and appreciate the camera and lighting techniques, and locations. It's a very polished, well-produced piece of work!
08-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lenses used are DA*16-50, Da300, A300, A35-105. normal lenshood which came with lens. Settings used: Color Natural, shutterspeed 1/60. No PP, all color, contrast, sharpness are as captured. Light is natural in most outdoor scenes, indoor shots are with normal bulbs in umbrella lights(without umbrella), reflector was used in some places.
Good choices - the indoor scenes showed a little too much of 'being lit' for my tastes, and I liked the deliberate rule break with the Line Cross in the first interview scene with the workers boss.

I don't mind the language - When I edit I often turn the sound off and play the video, so I can see if the performers body language matches the story telling intent, and whether the pacing of the edit is too fast or slow.

There's a few spots in this one where I think the pacing is a little rushed in the edit before the music starts - I spotted the speed up of the street shots - and I would have used a focus pull from the phone to the performers face after the call ends.

Overall, the Technical Quality of the footage is exactly what I'd expect out of a K-01 with good glass - The loss of fine detail in the CoDec is something we have to put up with.
And I think I spotted some SR Jello in the shots where the character runs down stairs around 2min40s.

I'd add a battery powered Daylight (5600 - 6000 Kelvin) colour balanced lightsource, possibly in a China Ball or SoftBox to your kit, to add soft ambient light to the scenes like inside the train looking outside - that would bring the dark areas inside up brighter to match to the outdoors, without being obviously Lit.

Overall, on par with the majority of 90's and 00's company-made music videos, with a cleaner look, and equal to any Indie made one worldwide these days.

Well done.
08-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for detail feedback.
I had taken the shots you suggested for focus pull after call ends, but editor didnt use that clip.
Indoor lights needs improvement, but this was no budget video, we did with whatever was available.
And stair shot doesn't have sr jello it was due to actor's hand going firmly on railings, i took a correct one, but somehow the previous cut was selected by editor.
There is lot more to learn, but im pretty satisfied with my first try.

Thanks again for all the knowledge.