Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 05:49 AM   #1

Pentax K-50 Video Issues

I recently purchased the K-50 and it takes great photos. However the videos I take with it are unwatchable. Every video whether indoors or outdoors are ruined with large diagonal artifacts running across the video top to bottom. It is like the camera is not focusing though generally the video is in focus. Any ideas?

09-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not entirely sure I understand.. Have you got an example we can look at?
09-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Please post an example!
09-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That sounds odd. I'd also like an example.

Maybe a screenshot is enough.

09-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Aside from a sample, camera settings and lens used would also help.
There's a few tricks to getting the best video IQ out of Pentax 16Mp sensor DSLRs
09-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
There's a few tricks to getting the best video IQ out of Pentax 16Mp sensor DSLRs
Like? Is there a thread on this? That would be helpful. I'm more concerned about all the shadows being clipped, blacks crushed, etc... what do you recommend for the highest level of detail capture setting, that i could then color grade/correct?
09-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Like? Is there a thread on this? That would be helpful. I'm more concerned about all the shadows being clipped, blacks crushed, etc... what do you recommend for the highest level of detail capture setting, that i could then color grade/correct?
You can set the picture profile to muted, lower contrast, sharpening, saturation, ...

09-21-2015, 03:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Stop down the lens. For outdoor videos F16 or smaller get's much better detail than wider apertures. Inside you're just going to need good lighting, you know like studios use.
09-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
First of all , thank you for all of the replies, I appreciate it!

It appears to be a false alarm, maybe. When I view the video through the camera the LCD screen or through my Chromebook, the video is unwatchable. When I view it on my Windows Laptop it appears to be fine. I am having trouble uploading videos to my web site currently, but this is a very short examle...

http://thewoodshop.20m.com/pentax/IMGP0689.MOV

jack
09-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

4 seconds isn't quite enough to appreciate much, but I see you have MovieSR enabled, this will and has ruined the shot with it's jello and blurring. Panning is best done on a tripod without MovieSR enabled
09-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As above.

That's quite a detailed scene, and during panning it's very likely the low Pentax bitrates will struggle to maintain detail during the pan.

Pentax also offers a neat feature to ruin your videos. It's on by default, so if you don't want this effect you'll need to actively turn off the 'Movie SR' feature.

Watch your exposure, as there is very little wiggle room in the final file. The dynamic range is not massive, and the results are essentially burned in, as there is no option for RAW video.
As Steve mentions, opt for the old F8 is great approach if you're not looking for a narrow depth of field look, and where the light is enough to be able to stop down.

Keep your ISO as low as you can go.

I'd be keen to see the same scene again, with the adjustments listed above to start with at least.

Last edited by richandfleur; 09-22-2015 at 02:58 AM.
09-22-2015, 01:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, Movie SR defo needs to be off.
Other than that.. I think that's just how it is with Pentax cameras. I knew it when I bought mine even though I did think I'd want to do a video from time to time but I'm just living with it.
I found it's quite okay if you don't move the camera* but the subjects, however you can't call it perfect.

* in my example my mate was holding it, a tripod/steadycam would have made it better.

Just try to avoid fast movements with the camera..
09-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you again everyone for the detailed replies.

It appears that the diagonal artifacts must be caused by the codec used in the chromebook computer. If I convert to MP4 or view the .MOV on my Windows computer it looks fine. Following your suggestions I turned off the Movie SR and worked with the F Stop and the videos are looking great.

Thanks again!!!!

jack
09-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another consideration is that the lower frame rates do typically have more motion blur (as shutter speed is often set in relation to the frame rate).

Perhaps 30fps would be a better option if you wanted to capture more detail in pans, which are whole screen motions to blur.

Alternatively consider the use of pans and the speed of them. As in why are you using them, and how can you structure the shot to do this in the best way possible with your gear.

Glad the codec type identified your immediate problem. You should export from your video editor software in the most widely compatible file type, to ensure the videos are best suited for website use etc.
09-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #15

Can someone explain why SR shound be off?