Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Surf Video. Gh2, Pentax lenses.

Short clip, around a minute in length.

Good music, fun (though mediocre waves) surfing by a talented rider, and a boat. Older (70's I think?) pentax lens, probably attributes to the look (that I personally love). Others have told me it's a bit too hazy.

Comments/criticisms are welcome, though at this point it is what it is. But they'd be helpful for the next one. Kinda cool, a website based in Spain featured it for a day (haven't checked if it's still there) on their homepage.

Last edited by dflorez; 11-16-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Title adjustment.
11-17-2015, 02:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

Video feedback

Wish I had a good camera for video. I’ve been holding out in the hope that Pentax would deliver a good camera for video

If people mentioned that it looks washed out it’s most likely because of the black point. This shadows on the surfer are not dark enough to reach a rich black. Try adjusting the black point to the point at which the shadows become, “true black” and see if you think it’s an improvement.

I’m not sure what software you are using, most programs will have a contrast adjustment but that might possibly blow out your highlights more than you want to and your highlights are fine the way they are.

Of course the grading is a lot to personal preference; though usually film is graded so that pitch black appears in some of the shadowed areas and on black objects.

The only thing that really stands out to me as needing attention is the opening font in the beginning of the clip , “4 Waves”. They just blink out, while the video in the background is in the process of an adorage, (also known as a crossfade)!
If your footage is already using a lot of crossfades you probably want to lean to your text using crossfades already and especially if the footage is in the process of a crossfade, otherwise it can look unprofessional and be jarring.

Ideally the text should be linked to the clip that is fading out so both the clip and the text fade out at the same time as the new clip comes into presence.

Nice footage. Hoping the full frame will have good video, if not then it’s a Samsung nx1!

Last edited by SGOMMO7; 11-17-2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: comma
11-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SGOMMO7 Quote
Wish I had a good camera for video. I’ve been holding out in the hope that Pentax would deliver a good camera for video

If people mentioned that it looks washed out it’s most likely because of the black point. This shadows on the surfer are not dark enough to reach a rich black. Try adjusting the black point to the point at which the shadows become, “true black” and see if you think it’s an improvement.

I’m not sure what software you are using, most programs will have a contrast adjustment but that might possibly blow out your highlights more than you want to and your highlights are fine the way they are.

Of course the grading is a lot to personal preference; though usually film is graded so that pitch black appears in some of the shadowed areas and on black objects.

The only thing that really stands out to me as needing attention is the opening font in the beginning of the clip , “4 Waves”. They just blink out, while the video in the background is in the process of an adorage, (also known as a crossfade)!
If your footage is already using a lot of crossfades you probably want to lean to your text using crossfades already and especially if the footage is in the process of a crossfade, otherwise it can look unprofessional and be jarring.

Ideally the text should be linked to the clip that is fading out so both the clip and the text fade out at the same time as the new clip comes into presence.

Nice footage. Hoping the full frame will have good video, if not then it’s a Samsung nx1!

All of the above, thank you.